June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cant believe it is 15 years since myself and many

> others stopped using the place.

>

What a charming way to say goodbye to an established and well loved East Dulwich pub :(

I always liked the Palmerston, although food was expensive and not somewhere to go regularly.

So much competition on Lordship Lane these days. Bonne Bouffe didn't make it either. London commercial property market probably heading for its decadal plunge in to the abyss, rents and rates unsustainable.

mrwb Wrote:

> So much competition on Lordship Lane these days.

> Bonne Bouffe didn't make it either.

But in the case of The Palmerston, it seems to be that their lease came to an end and they weren't offered the opportunity of a new one.

It wasn't that they had to close because they were doing badly, I think, which makes it even more sad in a way.

Obviously I have no idea what the background to it is, whether the owner wants to sell the property or what.

It's an East Dulwich landmark, I've spent many happy evenings in there with a pint or several :(

Sidll1 Wrote:

> Ye# Dulwich Fox a good E D business is closing, 20

> odd people are probably out of a job and still

> it?s all about YOU

I used the Palmy for many many years before the Owner Reg decided to turn it into a Restaurant.

The Long term much loved Tenant Landlord Keith (No longer with us) and his two boys were evicted.

People lost their jobs too. A much loved busy local Pub was lost to make way for an expensive

eatery for the wealthier residents of East Dulwich and turists.

So NO its NOT just about me.

DulwichFox.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Cant believe it is 15 years since myself and

> many

> > others stopped using the place.

> >

>

>

> What a charming way to say goodbye to an

> established and well loved East Dulwich pub :(

In the many many years I used this pub I cannot remember you ever using it.

I?ve been on this forum for many years and I can categorically say it?s always about you. And very, very tedious that is too.

The Palmerston is a big part of our community and it?s a real blow.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Sidll1 Wrote:

> -----

> > Ye# Dulwich Fox a good E D business is closing,

> 20

> > odd people are probably out of a job and still

> > it?s all about YOU

>

> I used the Palmy for many many years before the

> Owner Reg decided to turn it into a Restaurant.

>

> The Long term much loved Tenant Landlord Keith (No

> longer with us) and his two boys were evicted.

> People lost their jobs too. A much loved busy

> local Pub was lost to make way for an expensive

> eatery for the wealthier residents of East Dulwich

> and turists.

>

>

> So NO its NOT just about me.

>

>

> DulwichFox.

I remember The Palmerston when it was a decent neighbourhood pub and I think since it became a restaurant it lost much of its community charm. It might be seen as a local institution for some, but my best memories of it go back before the reinvention. Horses for courses I suppose. I hope everyone finds re-employment swiftly.

Louisa.

Dulwich fox, I remember Keith and his sons, he really was a lovely bloke and I remember him being devestated. As the lease isn't being offered for renewel, can someone start a petition to the owners? Just a suggestion, whether it would do any good, worth a try if it's a good place.

DulwichFox Wrote:

--------------------------------------------

>

> In the many many years I used this pub I cannot

> remember you ever using it.

I'm not quite sure how that would follow from what I said, but it was my partner and my regular drinking place for many years.

But presumably after you stopped going there

I would say thank God, but that would be rude.

ETA: And surprise surprise another person who left the forum seems to have returned. Oh joy.

JoeLeg Wrote:

> Easy Sue. Louisa is back declaring a new start.

> Everyone is entitled to try and start over.

Where did she declare a new start? I must have missed it :))

ETA: Oh, OK, seen it in the lounge. I await the posts arising from this new start with interest

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> -----

> > Cant believe it is 15 years since myself and

> many

> > others stopped using the place.

> >

>

>

> What a charming way to say goodbye to an

> established and well loved East Dulwich pub :(

I'm similar to the Fox on this in that I don't believe I've been in there since it was a pub. I wasn't a regular but would sometimes stop off there in preference to anywhere else on the way home. Time flies.

Ok, first of all, caveat - this comes from just one source and could well have been misunderstood or misinterpreted. That said, the source is married to a long-term employee in Jaime?s organisation.

Jaime apparently has three pub locations in London (I didn?t know that) all with the same landlord, and that company has allegedly pulled the rug out from under him on all three. Supposedly they?re saying they don?t want The Palmerston to be a pub any more, though I don?t know what their plans for that site is.

All in all - IF this is accurate - it sounds like Jaime just got totally screwed over by his landlords, and I doubt he had any idea; he recently spent ?25,000 renovating the kitchen at The Palmerston. Now where he personally is concerned all I can say is karma is a bitch, though I?m sure he?ll land on his feet, but I do feel for his employees.

To repeat, this is from just one source and English is not their first language, so it?s entirely possible I have incomplete or incorrect information.

That said, what I?m hearing is that the landlord doesn?t want Palmerston to be a pub location any more. That in itself would be a shame because there?s obviously a lot of people who value it, so possibly if they?re concerned they might want to make enquiries. Hopefully this isn?t a rapacious landlord looking to bring something unwanted to LL, but these days I?m not optimistic.

Assuming that the tenant actually wanted a new lease, surely it would be possible for to serve a counter notice under the business tenancy provisions of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 (or whatever is the current legislation) requesting a new tenancy. The landlord can't just evict a business tenant willy nilly and would have to have specific grounds to do so.