Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening

https://www.gokayfitness.com/class

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by DulwichFox July 02, 09:10AM

They are trying it on.

The real problem is that if people go there and they get away with it , £24.00 will become the norm for roast dinner.
Other outlets will do the same.

That is why prices in East Dulwich have become so high. Because a certain elements of E.D. residents
feel the need to outdo others. If makes them feel 'Superior'

DulwichFox

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by Penguin68 July 02, 09:25AM

Wait a second - £24 is the most expensive roast, and it's of a good (i.e. costly) cut of beef, 45 days aged - of course that's not the price you may want to pay for a 'pub' roast, but it is a very good quality (and costly) cut - the longer you hang beef (within reason), the better it is, but the more sunk cost you have in storing it and not selling it. So, depending on the amount you get served, this isn't entirely unreasonable. It's much more than 'pub grub' of course, but clearly that's not where the new incarnation of the Palmerston is positioning itself. In many London restaurants £24 would be a very good price - depending on what you are getting for it - if it's just a 'pub roast' I grant you that might be disappointing, but if its restaurant style it really might not be. Rather than critique the menu you might be better to critique what is actually being served. I have payed £15 for a pub roast which wasn't worth £5. But I only knew that having attempted to eat it. Just looking at the menu I might have thought that was a good deal.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by ed_pete July 02, 09:51AM

DulwichFox Wrote:
> That is why prices in East Dulwich have become so
> high. Because a certain elements of E.D.
> residents
> feel the need to outdo others. If makes them feel
> 'Superior'
>
I seriously doubt that any business in East Dulwich would price their products or services based on the expectation that the customers would want to pay extra so that it confirmed their status in the community.

Personally I try to avoid pub roasts, especially in London. The culinary logistics mean that you're unlikely to get food cooked to order, no matter how much you are willing to pay.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by JohnL July 02, 10:26AM

Maybe they pay there staff premium wages ?

Old Spot doesn't even have a web page and the parent group hasn't mention ED yet - I'll keep an eye on it.

[www.eigroupplc.com]

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by Humdinger July 02, 12:21PM

Penguin68 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait a second - £24 is the most expensive roast,
> and it's of a good (i.e. costly) cut of beef, 45
> days aged - of course that's not the price you may
> want to pay for a 'pub' roast, but it is a very
> good quality (and costly) cut - the longer you
> hang beef (within reason), the better it is, but
> the more sunk cost you have in storing it and not
> selling it. So, depending on the amount you get
> served, this isn't entirely unreasonable. It's
> much more than 'pub grub' of course, but clearly
> that's not where the new incarnation of the
> Palmerston is positioning itself. In many London
> restaurants £24 would be a very good price -
> depending on what you are getting for it - if it's
> just a 'pub roast' I grant you that might be
> disappointing, but if its restaurant style it
> really might not be. Rather than critique the menu
> you might be better to critique what is actually
> being served. I have payed £15 for a pub roast
> which wasn't worth £5. But I only knew that having
> attempted to eat it. Just looking at the menu I
> might have thought that was a good deal.

Come of it, it is not a good deal or a very good price. How about the bowl of fries they are charging £5 for?

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by fishbiscuits July 02, 12:49PM

TBF, it is roast rib of beef for £24. You can't expect to get that for £15.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by tiddles July 02, 01:21PM

JohnL I think they have decided not to change the name - they are keeping 'the palmerston' and making out it has just closed for a refurb and is open again 'under new management' which is a polite way of saying they turfed out a business and are riding on their success.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by LeeMurg July 02, 04:42PM

Agree with you on that tiddles. Blatant attempt to cash-in on years of hard work by other people.

I have spent thousands enjoying myself in The Palmerston over the years but the EI Group will not be seeing a penny of my money after the shocking way they treated Jamie and the previous team.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by tiddles July 02, 08:21PM

Well said!!

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by Abe_froeman July 03, 12:00PM

Has anyone been in since it reopened?

Are any of the old staff still there?

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by redpost July 03, 12:25PM

has no one been out in the west end lately? they're charging west end restaurant prices for a chain pub meal, this is seriously taking the mickey. Only in the hermetic bubble of east dulwich would these prices be called reasonable.

for those who read private eye, EI group are frequently in the back pages mainly for bankrupting and squeezing every last penny out of their poor tenants

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by derwentgrove July 03, 12:53PM

Abe_froeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone been in since it reopened?
>
> Are any of the old staff still there?

The front of house seemed entirely new on my two (booze only) visits to date. One of the new team did imply that there is continuity in the kitchen.

I agree that the prices are punchy but I don’t think they are significantly higher than those charged by the Palmerston before the change in regime.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by Abe_froeman July 03, 01:05PM

Before the change they had an excellent chef and very high quality ingredients. Is the chef still the same guy and is he still able to source the same ingredients or is he stuck with whatever the pub co tells him he has to buy?

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by DulwichFox July 03, 01:09PM

The Law needs to be changed as to how any outlet is Classified.

Is it a Pub that sells food … or is it a Restaurant that is Licenced. ??


DulwichFox

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by TheArtfulDogger July 03, 01:33PM

Foxy, forgive me for saying this, but as someone who says they don't eat much, you sure do eat at a lot of places.

Are you Jay Rayner ?

If so (and paraphrasing Brighton Rock)

You are Mr Jay Rayner. I claim the ‘Daily Messenger ‘prize’.

Now let's hope Pinkie doesn't find you in the lordship lanes....

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by LeeMurg July 03, 01:53PM

As far as I am aware the majority, if not all, of the staff have left.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by DulwichFox July 03, 02:11PM

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Foxy, forgive me for saying this, but as someone
who says they don't eat much, you sure do eat at a
lot of places.

>
> Are you Jay Rayner ?
>
> If so (and paraphrasing Brighton Rock)
>
> You are Mr Jay Rayner. I claim the ‘Daily
> Messenger ‘prize’.
>
> Now let's hope Pinkie doesn't find you in the
> lordship lanes....

Do I ???

I eat a lot at Memsaab. 6 - 8 times a month

Occasionally at Jaflong Tandoori 2-3 times in the last Year.

2-3 times at Mirash in the last year.

Never in Tandoori Nights in the last 15 years

I ate at Hisar this Weekend for the first time in 5 years

I have not eaten in Dulwich Tandoori for months.

Never in the Palmerston in the last 15 years.

3 times in Jonnies since it opened.

Apart from fish and chips Semas 2 - 3 times a month
and the very occasional T/A Chinese 1- 2 times a month (if that)

Most of the time when I eat a Curry I eat half of the food and take the rest home.

So I do not actually eat very much at all.

I do not eat breakfast.

So NO I am not Jay Rayner . I'm a Fussy Eater.

Foxy

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by pk July 03, 02:25PM

DulwichFox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Law needs to be changed as to how any outlet
> is Classified.
>
> Is it a Pub that sells food … or is it a
> Restaurant that is Licenced. ??
>
>
> DulwichFox

What a waste of time and money that would be

(Unless you’re joking)

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by Abe_froeman July 03, 03:26PM

What's the problem with tandoori nights, DF?

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by DulwichFox July 03, 03:31PM

pk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DulwichFox Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Law needs to be changed as to how any
> outlet
> > is Classified.
> >
> > Is it a Pub that sells food … or is it a
> > Restaurant that is Licenced. ??
> >
> >
> > DulwichFox
>
> What a waste of time and money that would be
>
> (Unless you’re joking)

I am not Joking..

I think pubs and restaurants have different Licencing rules.

Remember when people used to go for a Curry after the Pub shut to get another drink. ?
Might not be so significant in our Big Towns and cities but could be significant in more rural areas.

There needs to be clarification as to whether any establishment is a Pub or a Restaurant.
There needs to be consistency.

DulwichFox

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by NewWave July 03, 04:08PM

LeeMurg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agree with you on that tiddles. Blatant attempt
> to cash-in on years of hard work by other people.
>
> I have spent thousands enjoying myself in The
> Palmerston over the years but the EI Group will
> not be seeing a penny of my money after the
> shocking way they treated Jamie and the previous
> team.

Agree !!!

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by TheArtfulDogger July 03, 05:01PM

Foxy, using the lower range of the numbers you put in your answer, (apart from Memsaab where I took the middle number)

I calculate that you ate out, or had a takeaway 126 times over the last year, or on average 2.4 times a week

That my dear sir is a lot compared to the average person who eats out, I suspect, once a week (figures to be verified via trial by EDF )

I still claim my prize 😂

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by pk July 03, 05:19PM

DulwichFox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>

> I think pubs and restaurants have different
> Licencing rules.
>
> Remember when people used to go for a Curry after
> the Pub shut to get another drink. ?
> Might not be so significant in our Big Towns and
> cities but could be significant in more rural
> areas.
>
> There needs to be clarification as to whether any
> establishment is a Pub or a Restaurant.
> There needs to be consistency.
>
> DulwichFox

Why is consistency important?

Surely having pub and restaurant licensing being somewhat flexible to take into account eg local opinion and environment is good - not all pubs should necessarily operate the same opening hours for example, I’d suggest

In the current circumstances, I’d also suggest that no time should be sent trying to fix something that isn’t a problem

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by LeeMurg July 05, 12:01PM

The Palmerston appears to have dropped the price of the aged rib of beef on its Sunday lunch menu from £24 to £19.95 after less than one week.

Clearly EI Group's plans to fleece the people of East Dulwich after kicking out a highly successful landlord of a much loved community pub has not started as well as they may have hoped.

Keep hitting them in the pocket by not spending a penny in there - it's the only language they understand.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by Humdinger July 05, 12:26PM

LeeMurg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Palmerston appears to have dropped the price
> of the aged rib of beef on its Sunday lunch menu
> from £24 to £19.95 after less than one week.
>
> Clearly EI Group's plans to fleece the people of
> East Dulwich after kicking out a highly successful
> landlord of a much loved community pub has not
> started as well as they may have hoped.
>
> Keep hitting them in the pocket by not spending a
> penny in there - it's the only language they
> understand.


Ha! so they were (intending) to making such a huge enough profit on the meal they can simply knock a fiver off it, since no one was buying it.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by Wimpole July 07, 05:24AM

I predict multiple makeovers ahead for this site as the EI bean counters wonder why it is under performing.

With this move they have destroyed one of the best and most successful businesses in the area.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 07, 08:12am by Wimpole.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by fishbiscuits July 08, 09:06AM

Seemed pretty busy when I went past the other day. Maybe not everyone knows (or cares) about the rather dishonest pretence of continuity. It's in a great location and looks the part... maybe that's enough for some punters?

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by Homz83 July 09, 10:51PM

£16 for a HALF a Poussin, as if it isn’t small enough!! Food tasted ok but extremely overpriced for portion size. Not sure who the target audience is for the place. It’s good for a drinks on the outside in the sun, but unfortunately the restaurant has let it down.

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by Homz83 July 09, 10:51PM

£16 for a HALF a Poussin, as if it isn’t small enough!! Food tasted ok but extremely overpriced for portion size. Not sure who the target audience is for the place. It’s good for a drinks on the outside in the sun, but unfortunately the restaurant has let it down...

messageRe: June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston
Posted by jimjames July 09, 11:33PM

You do realise it's the same kitchen team?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum