Forum Sponsors

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening
xxxx
www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageOverhill/Belvoir/Underhill roads being used as a bypass
Posted by bobbsy February 08, 10:51AM

Coming home last night, 7 ish, it was a constant stream of traffic turning from Lordship Lane into Overhill, then down Belvoir, and then onto Underhill. A large green Clarkes coach was trying to turn onto Underhill as I passed, slowly, as it's a difficult turn for a vehicle of that size with parked cars - surely these small side roads are not designed to handle vehicles of this size?

messageRe: Overhill/Belvoir/Underhill roads being used as a bypass
Posted by ed26 February 08, 10:54AM

Sat nav, avoiding the road closure. Should be sorted after the weekend.

Posted by intexasatthe moment February 08, 11:08AM

I don't share your optimism Sidhue .

And a more permanent fix is planned from mid Feb to early March .

SE22: LONDON ROAD
What we are doing
We are replacing a water main on LONDON ROAD as part of our mains replacement programme.

Start Date
16 February 2019
End Date
9 March 2019
Days per week on site
We are currently working here 5 day(s) per week.

[inyourarea.thameswater.co.uk]

and is the gusher on Forest Hill Rd near Brenchley Gardens really all fixed as TW online seem to think ?

Posted by dbboy February 08, 11:34AM

As did a 185 yesterday going round the back streets on very tight turns.

Posted by bobbsy February 08, 11:47AM

I guess the volume of traffic and size of vehicles using the roads will ensure we return to pothole heaven sooner rather than later. Surely deviations should be planned out for road closures?

Posted by ed26 February 08, 12:00PM

@intexas, the bus status said it should be sorted on Sunday but I hadn't checked the Thames Water. As far as I know, the official diversions don't go around the back streets but you can't plan for sat navs, which usually take the shortest route when you click the "avoid road block" button. You would expect Clarks et al to have dedicated HGV satnav though.

Posted by spark67 February 08, 01:56PM

Not ideal, but can't be helped I suppose, took me 15 minutes just to get my car out of the space I parked it in outside our flat on underhill yesterday it was bumper to bumper traffic... did notice a parked car had the corner of its bumper knocked off further down, and one wing mirror on another a few metres further... some of the drivers are quite belligerent when it comes to giving way when having to pass parked cars, especially where the p13 is concerned.

Posted by Siduhe February 08, 03:14PM

intexasatthe moment Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't share your optimism Sidhue .
>

???

Not me I think. And yes, the long closure is going to be a PITA. But on balance if it fixes the 3/4 times a year the main bursts and our water gets cut off, I can live with it.

Posted by intexasatthe moment February 08, 03:35PM

Sorry Sidhue - wrongly attributed optimism there .

Posted by ed26 February 08, 03:51PM

Surely they'll have to make arrangements to get the road open again quickly, even if it means traffic lights while they work on the mains? Isn't it part of the South Circular?

Posted by dimples February 09, 09:41AM

Itís hell living here on Belvoir road the last few days with all this flaming traffic 😡

Posted by zerkalo February 09, 10:48AM

Same here on Overhill. The increased volume of traffic the last few days is very noticeable. I hope it will be over soon.

Posted by Siduhe February 09, 01:19PM

Same on Melford/Underhill. Much hooting of horns, and shouting as people try to pass the parked cars.

Posted by dds29 February 09, 03:32PM

Residents on Melford Rd, and our fellow sufferers on Wood Vale were already complaining to councillors about the increase in traffic over the last few years, especiallly HGVs, coaches and vans of all sizes-(thank you sat nav,) but since the Great Thames Water Disaster, it's even worse, and as you say, the behaviour of some drivers is appalling!
We held a meeting in January attended by 2 councillors, for anyone concerned by this, and even on the snowiest coldest night, 16 people turned up!
We are hoping to have a Community Council Meeting about this increase in traffic avoiding the main roads, using small side streets that aren't appropriate for such large and heavy vehicles, usually at speed.
Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll keep you posted on any updates plus the C.C.meeting date.

Posted by ab29 February 09, 07:01PM

I live directly on LL so the past few days with (almost) no traffic has been a huge reliefsmiling smiley

I totally agree re: drivers behaviour. Slightly different angle here as I was watching what happens when such a busy road is closed. Drivers jumping out of their cars and moving the fences so they can drive through Exclaimation, driving on the pavements next to the people walking Exclaimation, shouting, honking, swearing etc. Must say the biggest idiots and worst behaved drivers are those on motorbikes - there are simply no words.

Posted by Ampersand February 09, 10:05PM

Iím wondering how many of these people whining about traffic on back streets own a car.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was february 10, 07:30am by Ampersand.

Posted by Bic Basher February 09, 10:58PM

ab29 Wrote:
> I live directly on LL so the past few days with
> (almost) no traffic has been a huge reliefsmiling smiley
>
> I totally agree re: drivers behaviour. Slightly
> different angle here as I was watching what
> happens when such a busy road is closed. Drivers
> jumping out of their cars and moving the fences so
> they can drive through Exclaimation, driving on the
> pavements next to the people walking Exclaimation,
> shouting, honking, swearing etc. Must say the
> biggest idiots and worst behaved drivers are those
> on motorbikes - there are simply no words.

I walked along the closed part of LL on Tuesday afternoon coming back from Forest Hill and there was a complete idiot on a scooter who narrowly missed me as he then rode on the pavement where the fencing is.

Posted by Applespider February 09, 11:24PM

Ampersand Wrote:
> Iím wondering how many of these people whining
> about traffic on back streets own a car.

Iím more whining about the length of time this is taking to fix and the hassle of multi-stop walks. The increased traffic hasnít bothered me other than irate tooting. But no, I donít own a car. Does that mean Iím allowed to whine? 😂

Iím wondering how many of those making light of the situation have been even remotely affected?

Posted by Bic Basher February 10, 12:54AM

I've had to change my plans quite a bit, which I found surprising, using Honor Oak Park station which is taking over 20 mins on the P4 to get to. So bad that on Friday afternoon I spent silly money on a cab home from the West End. Also looks like I'll be cabbing it to Penge on Monday purely as I can't expect my elderly mother to go to HOP on a train to Penge West. (She can't walk to Forest Hill).

Even a trip to Sainsbury's at DKH is becoming a mission with only the P13.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was february 10, 12:55am by Bic Basher.

Posted by dimples February 10, 04:32AM

Ampersand , weather or not someone who lives on one of the small roads behind has nothing to do with whatís going on with the diversions we are talking about !

Posted by Ampersand February 10, 07:37AM

Applespider Wrote:
>
> Iím wondering how many of those making light of
> the situation have been even remotely affected?

I live at the Lordship Lane end of Underhill Road and take either the 363 or P4 to work so yes, quite a bit.

Posted by Bagpussisevil February 10, 12:21PM

Getting to work is a nightmare, no longer a direct bus so I'm having to walk. The traffic on Belvoir has been hoffic
45 min walk to work in the rain sucks

Posted by Bic Basher February 10, 05:02PM

Just seen a 185 come along my part of LL for the first time since Monday night.

Posted by Applespider February 10, 05:59PM

TFL Traffic and Bus Alerts have both Tweeted in the last hour to say that the South Circular is open again. Normal service for a week until the next set of roadworks start on 16 Feb.

Posted by Angharad_L February 10, 08:09PM

Does anyone. Know what will be the upshot of the next batch of roadworks??

Mainly will the P13 on diversion from Friern Road for the fifth time in so many months?? Iím praying not!

Posted by Bic Basher February 10, 08:24PM

I believe the only bus affected next time is the 363 which won't serve Sydenham Hill up to the Kirkdale roundabout.

messageRe: Overhill/Belvoir/Underhill roads being used as a bypassattachment
Posted by dbboy February 10, 10:24PM

See attached letter for details of TW replacement works

Attachments: TW letter February works.jpeg (130.7KB)  
Posted by muffins78 February 11, 07:23AM

I have been using taxis too!! Are they back to normal this week? It will make a massive difference-taxis too expensive all the time but canít walk that far!!

Posted by Angharad_L February 11, 08:30PM

Thank you - hopefully these roadworks don't stuff everything up... it's a pain when the bus only comes every 15 mins as if things are thrown off they are REALLY thrown off...

Posted by dbboy February 11, 10:25PM

P13 frequency has increased and at times is every ten mins. Need to check timetable at bus stop depends when you travel.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum