Hyperoptic/BT broadband

OK so here's what you need to know.

HyperOptic are a South Korean company.

They basically gave Southwark heaps of dosh and in exchange, they are installing their cables around Southwark estates. We have the choice of 30, 40 or 100mbps. Fridge size cabinets have been plopped on the sides of individual blocks, and obviously planning permission was waved through. Some of these blocks are right next to people's windows on our estate blocking views.

Meanwhile, if you get everything from Sky, technically you should ask the council for planning permission which they would refuse, and you have the dish put up anyway, then good luck keeping it there. If major works happen on your estate as they are ours, then when the scaffolding goes up, the dishes will be put on the scaffolding, but when the scaffolding goes down in a year the dishes will be given back to the customer and not put back on the walls. So you will have to pay to put it back again, and maybe charged for not asking for - and being refused - planning permission if you do so.

HyperOptic are not the only company doing what HyperOptic are doing. We also had a notice from a company called https://communityfibre.co.uk/ . This is apparently a not for profit company created by a bloke in his London council flat. I think I would prefer this out of the two. However, if you are currently with BT and you switch to any other company, BT want ?7.50 per month per email address if you want to keep your email address, which your whole world has on record.....

I am a tad peeved at Southwark Council for accepting this bribe when basically it is taking away other choices (people now can't have Sky). I would be interested in hearing other people's opinions about this though. And happy to learn of corrections if I made any errors!

As I guessed there would be a financial incentive attached to it otherwise Southwark wouldn't be bending backwards to accommodate. We have one of the sheds on an estate and they've asked told us to clear it out saying that there is wiring in there and they may need to take over it permanently. Never mind my belongings. They've also been leafleting around selling the benefits of going to their company and not needing to pay for anything else not even BT line. Interesting BT seem to be upgrading everyone to higher speeds in the area.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Really?? We are with BT and they are not

> upgrading us! I wish they would. We only get 1.5!

> We were told they'd have to dig up the road and

> that would be too expensive. Do you know how they

> are upgrading you? What technology? Google

> GFast. So sorry about the bullying about your

> shed.

What do you mean by you only get 1.5 ? 1.5 what. ?

I'm with BT delivered by 2 wire from Telegraph Pole

I'm Getting 58.73 Mb/s Download 18.63 Mb/s Upload

DulwichFox

While it sickens me to hear about yet another bung taken by the corrupt Southwark Council, and their messing with peoples sheds must be infuriating and cause nothing but inconvenience, I do hope this company soon rolls out their service to regular streets around ED. We had fibre in Japan back in 2003, years before it was available in the UK and it was fantastic. Of course, South Korea was way ahead of Japan in implementing fibre and they really know how to go about providing it in a sustainable and upgradeable manner so fingers crossed their trial does indeed prompt them to become a viable, long term alternative to Sky and BT. Wish Sky could deliver fibre to the door, am still on regular broadband and would love to be able to cut out the need for a landline.

Hi Dulwich Fox. 1.5mbps. Yes. That's right. 1.5. Copper wire and a long way from the exchange, and we bypass the cabine which is downstairs and provides Infinity to the other blocks in the area. Have complained to Ombudsman because we are paying for min 2! They said tough. I'd dream of 2. Lots of people and businesses have our email address. It would be a nightmare to change!

We must always remember that Southwark like all councils have had a massive amount of their funding cut by the government over recent years. Whilst that does not excuse much of their behaviour, I can sort of see that they are desperate to get money from wherever the hell they can. And the ironic fact that businesses close because of the internet and also because of the very high business rates Southwark charge, is not lost.

Southwark Housing are working with two FTTP providers. Hyperoptic already mentioned and Community Fibre, who wrote to me last week saying that they're installing their equipment on the Lordship Lane Estate in the next few weeks.

Hyperoptic did install a junction box on Bew Court however before Christmas. I suspect this is part of the deal with Hyperoptic to provide WiFi in all Tenants Halls.

It would be good if it means we all get free WiFi😁I know that Local authorities get digital funding and if it would mean they could cut costs as more online self services and remote or agile working strategy gets rolled out. So I guess it's worth investing in if they can save.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Indeed, Community Fibre wrote to me too. I don't

> know if they are sharing the cabling or if we are

> about to have TWO lots of cables and two great big

> boxes next to people's windows, or what. But as I

> said in my post, I would prefer Community Fibre.

Yes, Community Fibre's prices seem more reasonable. The basic 40mb download speed is only ?20. 200MB is ?35 and 1GB is ?50pm.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

---------------------------------------------- 2. Lots

> of people and businesses have our email address.

> It would be a nightmare to change!

PeckhamRose, I found it really easy to change to a Gmail address. Not from a BT address admittedly, but surely the process is the same?

They sort everything for you, then forward the mail from your old address for a month (I think it was, may have been longer).

It's all free. I had no problems at all. You can have more than one gmail address if you need to, for different purposes.

If you Google I'm sure you can find out all about it!

They import all the contacts from your old email system, and all the emails.

ETA: Surely you don't have to have a BT address just because you have BT broadband? I've presently got BT broadband (never again) but I've never had a BT email address.

At the moment, if you are in the street and passed by BT (everyone is) you will be able to get service from all operators (who have a legal right to use BT Infrastructure) apart from NTL/ Virgin. If you are passed by Virgin you will also be able to get it from them. If you are 'passed' by Southark's chosen suppliers in an estate you will only be able to get service from them over their infrastructure - they are not obliged to wholesale their network to 3rd parties (BT Openreach is). So you may possibly have a monopoly provider with no alternatives.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Penguin68 thank you.

> And thank you Sue; I did not know this. I do try

> and keep away from Google (as a search engine

> anyway!) But it is an option maybe with BT I was

> not aware of.

You can have gmail and never use Google at all as a search engine!

I do sympathise. I was with AOL for a long time as my internet provider, in pre broadband days, mainly because it was what someone suggested I use back in the day and it always seemed too much of a hassle to change because I too thought I would have to jump through hoops to change my email.

I was really horrified to discover that my AOL email addresses had nothing whatsoever to do with AOL being my internet provider.

They had always led me to believe that it had.

I changed from AOL to Plusnet (though I'm with BT at the moment for broadband, though once my contract runs out I shan't be) and changed my AOL email to gmail.

Oh, and I still have my two old AOL email addresses, which I occasionally check just in case (as gmail has long stopped forwarding any mail which goes there), so I imagine you can do the same with BT email addresses, though - oviously - check!

And also check whether you can move away from BT as your broadband provider but still use your existing BT email addresses, which I suspect you probably can (but they won't tell you that unless pushed, because they want to keep you as a broadband customer).