Argos is coming to ED Sainsbury's

Bic Basher

Building work is underway in the DKH Sainsbury's to add an Argos concession store. The store will be at the back of the supermarket where the Sound & Vision, DVD's/CD's have been until last weekend.

I don't know if this will mean the closure of the nearby Peckham Argos, but is good news for anyone who finds it hard to get to the Peckham store while Rye Lane is closed to traffic.

Seems very strange that Sainsburys ED would give over their space to Argos. Then again I've noticed that they don't seem to be on top of things lately in the store i.e. erratic prices, empty shelves for popular items, not enough staff around to query things but store managers prancing about.

Argos is owned by Sainsbury's - with the Peckham branch more difficult to get to it makes sense to use space at Dog Kennel Hill, and it may bring customers in who would not otherwise come, and who will buy groceries. Parking is much better there as well. This is not the same as sub-letting to another brand, although actually Laura Ashley was in Homebase at a time it was successful, and moved out before the collapse. [And Sainsbury's used to own Homebase, but sold it off].

There's already an Argos in the Bell Green Lower Sydenham store (where I bought a new TV in November). It really doesn't take up that much space in the public area, with enough rooms for the tills, collection point and a small bench to sit while waiting.

Going back to Sainsbury's here, they've also taken the opportunity to refit the Bakery section and there are new signs for the other counters. Magazines however have lost the massive space they had to toys and is now condensed to a section in the baby isle.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Argos is owned by Sainsbury's - with the Peckham

> branch more difficult to get to it makes sense to

> use space at Dog Kennel Hill, and it may bring

> customers in who would not otherwise come, and who

> will buy groceries. Parking is much better there

> as well. This is not the same as sub-letting to

> another brand, although actually Laura Ashley was

> in Homebase at a time it was successful, and moved

> out before the collapse. .

Ah, OK, thanks, hadn't realised Sainsbury's owned Argos. That does make sense then.

Argos born out of Green Shield Stamps via Tesco

The growth of Green Shield Stamps gave its founder, Richard Tompkins, an idea: what if customers could use cash to buy products from its catalogue as well as stamps.

So, in 1973, he started rebranding Green Shield Stamps as Argos, named after the Greek city where Tompkins had been inspired and because it would feature high up in alphabetical listings.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/05/argos-story-green-shield-stamps-tesco-sainsburys

DulwichFox

lavender27 Wrote:

> FFS I hate Argos, their queuing system is shite. +

> + +

What Queuing system ? I've bought several things at Argos at various stores.

Select, Pay, Collect. Waited less than two mins.

Excellent service.

DulwichFox

I too love Argos. They do a brilliant job at making Christmas easier, especially if you?re on a budget and want to spread the cost without paying interest. Just seems a shame to me that they probably won?t be around for much longer. Sainsbury?s is in trouble now this merger with ASDA has been knocked on the head.

Louisa.

Thoroughly agree with DF and Louisa both, the number of times we've been in PC World or Currys waiting hours for someone to deign to pay us attention, given up, strolled across to Argos and got what we want in a couple of minutes - and without anyone trying to flog you a more expensive alternative, sign up to a care plan, extended warranty etc etc. It'd be lovely if there was a locally run shop to which one could go, but unfortunately in the world of modern electronics, with the massive range now available, it would never be viable. Argos is often very much the least painful option.

rendelharris Wrote:

> Thoroughly agree with DF and Louisa both, the

> number of times we've been in PC World or Currys

> waiting hours for someone to deign to pay us

> attention, given up, strolled across to Argos and

> got what we want in a couple of minutes - and

> without anyone trying to flog you a more expensive

> alternative, sign up to a care plan, extended

> warranty etc etc. It'd be lovely if there was a

> locally run shop to which one could go, but

> unfortunately in the world of modern electronics,

> with the massive range now available, it would

> never be viable. Argos is often very much the

> least painful option.

lynnes on Walworth Road isn?t East Dulwich obviously but they are a great electric shop and give good advice. They deliver and install very swiftly.

I also like Argos s lot so long as you know what you want.

What I like about Argos is the click and collect. You have the option to hold an item without paying and then pay and collect in store, or pay and collect at other stores including Sainsbury's in Forest Hill. Argos has got me out of numerous emergency replacements over the years!

I was thinking that Argos coming to ED Sainsbury's was exactly that.

M&S do a local pick up as do the Co-Op with Amazon. It's not just saving on delivery but you get to pick up up when it suits you. I think it works very well.

• 1 month later...