Council repairs to fencing.

The fence dividing our house with our neighbour is falling down and preventing our front door being opened. Neighbour is a semi detached property - freehold owned by council with downstairs flat being council rented and upstairs flat being leasehold.

Our deeds show that this fence is 'council's responsibility'. Looking at the fence (about 10 -12 feet in length) we have propped up one section of the fence half way down but cannot do this at the house end. The aris rails are on our side and looking over the fence I can see large sections of original broken fencing, so it would seem that sometime in the house history, our house owners got fed up with broken council fence not being repaired and installed a new one. Neighbour has extensive scrubs/climbing plants/etc whose branches etc are breaking through the fence onto our side.

In order to report this on line and by phone you need a Southwark Account number, which as owner occupiers we do not have. There is no address listed for the repairs team (Tooley Street/Queens Road) to cannot report in writing.

Many years ago our garden fence (council's responsibility) collapsed and it took almost a year for Southwark to replace it. Only put up chain link as were not prepared to replace wooden fencing.

We have maintained all the fencing back and front on the right hand side facing house as our responsibility. costing several hundreds of pounds including workmen.

Any suggestions as to how I go about contacting Southwark Repairs or our legal position as I do not fancy another year long battle.