Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.littleloud.org

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14
messageRe: Brown bin collection - Council starting to charge?
Posted by Pugwash June 20, 01:12PM

We requested a large food caddy a few weeks ago - still not received it. Decided to get rid of brown garden waste bin and decided that the small amount we produce ( we have compost bin) it was easier to pay for sacks.

Posted by dirty tree June 20, 01:23PM

Can anyone upload a high res image of the sticker?....*chuckle*

Posted by Penguin68 June 20, 01:38PM

Which will make the printed property address particularly visible...

Posted by peckman June 20, 07:45PM

What a lot of plastic must be wasted by supplying caddys and removing those brown bins ... wonder what happens to them eh ?

Posted by Sue June 20, 09:53PM

peckman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a lot of plastic must be wasted by supplying
> caddys and removing those brown bins ... wonder
> what happens to them eh ?

A very good question.

Posted by anchor June 20, 10:30PM

Yes a very good question. Southwark have always replaced any of the green/blue/brown bins that get damaged or go missing free of charge. Hopefully they will retain a supply of the unstickered brown bins so that they can still be given free of charge to subscribers who may need them in the future. Mind you, you would then have to wait for a replacement sticker so it might be prudent to keep a photocopy of it just in case.

Posted by peckman June 20, 11:33PM

I very much doubt they will be stockpilling those bins for future use .. i bet you a milloon pounds if you order a new one if you want one you get a spanking new one

Posted by anchor June 21, 05:51PM

You are probably right, but I have had my damaged blue and green bins replaced in the past with used bins, which was fine as perfectly good. They may now decide to charge for a spanking new brown one, if they do dispose/recycle all of the unstickered brown bins. Hopefully not but slippery slope and all that.

Posted by dirty tree June 22, 03:07PM

Photoshop. *chuckle* (again)

Posted by trinidad June 22, 06:50PM

so is everyone on this thread now paid for there sticker, and ordered there free caddy, or are there people who have bot?

--------------------
The hottest place in the world

Posted by peckman June 22, 09:12PM

Lets focus purely on the envuronmental impact . The same trucks chugging around picking up big or small bins . Lorries picking up or delivering the brown bins .. and transporting those brown bins that arent wanted to gawd knows where

Posted by herne hilly June 23, 08:31AM

Also, more individuals driving to the dump.
Trinidad - I have not paid for a sticker. Im going to see how i get on without the bin.

Posted by Ginster June 24, 02:00PM

Sorry if asked already (long thread!)
Got our 2 new brown bins today (small and tiny) does anyone know if food can go straight in or does it have to be in a compostable food waste bag? Thanks!

Posted by Countrlass22 June 24, 02:12PM

Ginster
In green compost able bag hun

Posted by Ginster June 24, 02:14PM

Thanks and shame was hoping could stop using them!

Posted by Penguin68 June 24, 02:28PM

If you don't protect your bin it will simply get very nasty, unless you wash it out regularly. With a bag all the waste will go. But you could wrap it in newspaper to protect the bin, according to my Veolia source.

Posted by DulwichFox June 24, 02:33PM

Paid for the Brown bin sticker and ordered an outside small Brown Food waste bin.

Stickers came and applied to Large brown Bin but still no Small Brown Food waste bin.

Will put Green compost food waste bags in large bin and hope they get collected tomorrow.
Have no other choice.

DulwichFox.

Posted by hpsaucey June 24, 02:52PM

Sorry if this has already been covered but have lost the plot (and the will to live). I put out my old food waste bin last week but it wasn't collected. I'm assuming it should have been and I don't need to order a new food waste bin (ridiculous).

Am I right?

Thanks in advance to whoever takes pity and replies...

HP
PS DulwichFox -small brown bins were being delivered around Surrey Road today.

Posted by Abe_froeman June 24, 03:02PM

does anyone know if the council are going to come and collect all the brown bins from people who did not chose to subscribe for this service, and if so when?

Posted by DulwichFox June 24, 03:03PM

I have been in touch with Southwark. I told them that I have not received my food waste Bin.
I asked if I use the large brown bin will they take away the food waste and was told NO.

If I put it in the Brown bin it will be contaminated.
Ive been using this bin for food waste since day one.

I am now concerned that New Large bins are to be distributed as well as food waste bins
and I should of waited for that to arrive and put my sticker on the new bin.

What is going on ???

Foxy

ETA Was told I should call them back if I do not recieve by Food Waste Bin by Friday.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was june 24, 03:06pm by DulwichFox.

Posted by spider69 June 24, 03:17PM

Abe_froeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does anyone know if the council are going to come
> and collect all the brown bins from people who did
> not chose to subscribe for this service, and if so
> when?

This was a response received regarding the brown bin situation.

"As the stickers are now arriving we have not yet started removing brown bins. We will give people a further chance in case they have missed the notifications somehow (by leaving reminder hangers on the bins) and will then start removing those not paid for."

Regards

Councillor Richard Livingstone
Cabinet Member for Environment, Transport Management & Air Quality
Labour Councillor for Old Kent Road ward

Posted by Penguin68 June 24, 04:10PM

If I put it in the Brown bin it will be contaminated.
Ive been using this bin for food waste since day one.

I am now concerned that New Large bins are to be distributed as well as food waste bins
and I should of waited for that to arrive and put my sticker on the new bin.

See my thread on trusting the Council.

Although the government has advised separating food and garden waste (because they can be treated differently, with food waste digested anaerobically producing methane for heating, and garden waste composted) - (it also advised not charging for garden waste collection, but there you go) - Veolia will still collect all organic waste (for the moment) in the same bin lorries. So your advice from Southwark was somewhat premature - at some time they will be separately treated, but not yet. The Southwark separation using two bins is to get us in the mood for all this (well it can't be anything else, apart from creating a garden waste collection off-the-rates revenue stream, as Veolia don't separate in their collection lorries yet).

Posted by herne hilly June 24, 07:57PM

Unbelievable, going on what someone said previously, that out of 25000 households , only 5000 have subscribed, they are now going to put 20 odd thousand hangers on bins in case we missed the news. Hope they are compostable and not made of plastic. What a waste of resources. They should take the bins and anyone who missed out will have to call/look it up online and figure it out.

Posted by singalto June 25, 11:43AM

I have put the sticker on my old large brown bins but have not got my big food caddie yet so am putting food waste in big brown bin for the moment.

Posted by Penguin68 June 25, 12:23PM

My Veolia front line source has now told me:-

1. A different company (from Veolia, who know the area and routes of course, and we couldn't be doing with that) will be collecting old brown bins from those not paying for garden waste disposal and at the same time issuing any new bins ordered. This won't be happening (I'm guessing) until they have given households time to respond (or not) to the hangers now being placed on unstickered bins reminding them of the intention to charge for/ or remove old-style large brown bins. So probably still a few weeks (i.e. into July) before the new kerb-side caddies will be issued for those wanting them (which I assume will be everybody not now having one - as they will be the only collecting point in future for kitchen waste).

2. All organic waste is still (and will still) be collected together by Veolia - i.e. no separation of garden and kitchen waste will be made at the point of collection. Apparently lorries just carrying food waste come from the West End already and are added to the general organic waste that Veolia holds. This may change over time, but advice from Southwark that they 'can't' be combined now is, well, rubbish.

I am not really expecting this to settle down until the autumn.

Other than sheer bloody-mindedness there is no reason why those paying for garden waste collection shouldn't have brown bagged waste collected at the same time as the garden waste in the brown bins. But making them pay for bown bags (on top of their fee for using the bin) and then making them arrange special collections will be aimed just to add to the buggaration effect of the council - and encourage dumping. And of course ramp up the costs of the 'cash-starved' council as they send out what will be unnecessary brown bag pick-ups from those already being passed by lorries collecting garden rubbish.

In fact, if the Veolia lorries continued to collect, once a week, garden waste in brown bins (which have been paid for) and garden waste in brown paper bags (bought from the council) they would be saving logistic and transport costs and simplifying life for everyone, whilst still getting their new revenue stream. But that would be sensible and nice and not what we have come to expect from these (please add your own descriptors and epithets here) elected and appointed council officials.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher June 25, 01:04PM

I received my sticker last week. The small caddy arrived yesterday so I had to fish out food bags from large bin - yuk.

Posted by richard tudor June 25, 01:17PM

What happens to the food waste and garden waste that is being put into the LARGE brown bins because they have not requested a sticker or a brown caddie therefore will not have had a small waste caddie delivered.

For the moment I believe all garden and food waste will go into the same collection lorry.

What brain in Southwark thought this idea up?

Posted by Bumpkin June 25, 01:48PM

Does anyone know how to request a replacement brown bin as I've paid my £25 but our bin lid has one broken hinge and I'd rather get a replacement before putting the sticker on. I can't see an option for this now on the Southwark re-cycling page, can only request new blue / green bins or pay for the brown ones..

Posted by Ginster June 25, 01:58PM

Bumpkin can you find a neighbour who isn't paying and swap?

messageRe: Brown bin collection - Council starting to charge?attachment
Posted by TheArtfulDogger June 25, 02:28PM

The hangers are out

They are made up of plastic laminated paper which I suspect won't recycle well (I could be wrong of course)

Southwark are pushing you to pay for garden recycling ignoring the latest defra advice and also one of the high garden waste fly tipping in London

What is the cost of implementing this and what will the reversal cost be once defra tells them to collect for free ?

No wonder people aren't trusting this council

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was june 25, 05:31pm by TheArtfulDogger.

Attachments: image.jpeg (53.2KB)   image.jpeg (62.3KB)  
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 12 of 14

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum