8 trains an hour proposed for East Dulwich

The Mayor of London has proposed taking over train services in south London, with East Dulwich being identified as one of the main stations to benefit (see attached plan). Its train services would increase to 8 an hour in both peak and off-peak, so about every 8 minutes in each direction. Overground, Thameslink and services to Victoria through Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill would each increase to 6 an hour/ every 10 minutes. Some fares would be cheaper, especially if changing onto the Overground or Tube.

This is all (alleged) to cost just ?1.7bn, guessing that doesn't include increasing passenger capacity within stations though, which would definitely be needed with Peckham Rye having an incredible 52 trains an hour! Main downside is that train services would be simplified so you'd need to change for some destinations like East Croydon. There's no info however about extending night services to this part of town at weekends and it's not clear how many years this could take to deliver.

More at (full report at bottom)

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/mayor-calls-for-tfl-to-control-rail-infrastructure

All Sadiq needs to do next is find the extra cash and get Chris Grayling on side...

I too am fairly sceptical about this happening. Don't get me wrong, it would be great and would demonstrate a commitment to spending public money on serving the public... the thing is that all evidence to date, especially when it comes to transport, is for an appetite to use our taxes for schemes which enrich shareholders. Without some serious private interests, I think it's unlikely.

This is electioneering - TfL has real money problems at the moment and if Labour do get nationally in they will have far bigger nationalisation plans than train services for London only. If you want to vote for Sadiq as Mayor fine, but don't do it because of this bit of 'pie-in-the-sky'. And as has been pointed out the actual logistic problems (let alone the full costs) of doing this are huge.

As long as this is all implemented in time for the May timetables I'll be happy.

SK is planning to fund it by freezing bus fares, increasing the ?1.50 hopper fare time limit to 24 hours and using the expected revenue from the Bakerloo Line extension and Crossrail 3.

Pure fantasy, would require a whole new bunch of rolling stock and signal upgrades.

It's a long term plan, for sure.

I wonder with regard to the Streatham Common and Brockley interchanges, whether the same might work at the likes of Tulse Hill and Penge.

Thinking about this and the drive to cut pollution by cars, the report The Reshaping of British Railways (or Beeching report) was published on 27 March 1963.

I do wonder if the idea at the time to make railways a profit driven organisation, along with cuts to public transport including the loss of trams had a direct effect on increased car ownership as there was little viable alternative to get to places easily.

With hindsight would the Beeching report have been different and would car ownership been lower ?

Interesting to speculate but impossible to say with certainty

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So, Dulwich Fox, what has Sadiq Khan done wrong?

> Has he completely wasted hundreds of thousands of

> pounds like Boris J? Perhaps you could be honest

> and explain why you have such an aversion to him.

He has done nothing in resolving Knife Crime. Totally ineffective.

I do not trust Khan..

From Twitter

@SadiqKhan and @jeremycorbyn received ?90,000 combined from Henley Homes - the firm that built a segregated play area

Yet despite both condemning the firm, neither will commit to returning their donations or refusing any donations from them in the future

I question Khans involvement with any rail project.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So, Dulwich Fox, what has Sadiq Khan done

> wrong?

> > Has he completely wasted hundreds of thousands

> of

> > pounds like Boris J? Perhaps you could be

> honest

> > and explain why you have such an aversion to

> him.

>

> He has done nothing in resolving Knife Crime.

> Totally ineffective.

How would you like him to do that, especially considering the Tories have cut police numbers in London to the bone?

East Dulwich has six trains an hour to London Bridge during the peak:

08:02

08:08

08:23

08:32

08:38

08:53

Admittedly there are two 15 minute gaps.

Reliability is pretty good compared to other London rail lines, but there is a bottleneck with the Overground trains between Peckham Rye and Queen's Road Peckham; often short delays whilst the Southern service waits for an Overground service to clear the route (and I assume the reverse).

Six trains an hour all day would be great, but adding more tracks between Peckham Rye and the Overground junction north of Queen's Road Peckham (impossible without substantial demolition and billions of pounds) is a non-starter.

Eight trains an hour is fantasy.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Anyway knife crime isn?t caused by less coppers on

> the street.

> Increased coppers would help mop-up the shit, but

> not a solution I?m afraid.

> It?s a systemic, societal issue.

> A mayor will never fix that.

True.

Note that this proposal includes re-opening Brockley Lane station (closed for over 100 years!) to form an interchange with the existing Brockley station. This could offer useful connections from Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill.

I think Sadiq is incredibly weak. I saw him being interviewed at his office over housing, where he distanced himself from his campaign websites pledges with laughable indifference. He?s spent most of his time approving a blimp, policing online hate crime and censoring London Underground ?beach fit images? rather than running the city. Totally unqualified to run a business, let alone a city like London.