Plant theft Oglander Road

Carrie

Same thing happened to us on Oglander last year. There is a thread somewhere about it but can?t find it now. Reluctant to plant new plants this year in case happens again. Thinking of planting lavender as my next door neighbour?s new lavender was not stolen. The thief is evidently not a fan.

It's odd - there is definitely someone a little light-handed in that area. When I lived on Soames St a few years ago I mulched the front garden with bark chips before going on holiday and someone had meticulously removed virtually all of it from around a lot of plants by the time I returned.

The consensus amongst the neighbours is that they are being taken to be sold on at car boot sales.

I've given up on the idea of putting in plants now - can't afford to fund someone else's "business" - and will just be scattering seed from now on.

Carrie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The consensus amongst the neighbours is that they

> are being taken to be sold on at car boot sales.

>

Some years back I had planted up window boxes stolen, and the police said there had been a spate of such thefts.

It was just before Mother's Day.

Maybe the same reason??

I would be inclined to have a very visible gardening day and then stay up to catch the thief. Sensor lights would be good.

Or you could put notices up on lamp posts drawing attention to the thefts and asking neighbours to keep their eyes open.

You could set up a neighbourhood watch scheme and be proactive.

We had a small olive tree in a pot stolen from our front garden a few weeks ago. We live in Ady's road. Very frustrating. Am similarly reluctant to put anything else out there now in case that goes too I didn't bother reporting it to the police - should I have done?

you could drill a cover over the pot (like a pond cover - plants could grow through it but not be taken. Prob better for shrubs, trees than border plants.

What times.

It sounds from other posts that there are some very blatant and shameless thieves around.

edcam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to hear this but to be honest, penstemons

> promise more than they deliver. I hope your

> thieves dwell on that once they realise their

> folly.

Nooooo!

Penstemons are lovely!

:)

I can top all of this - our neighbour with the help of Plus Rooms attempted to steal part of our back garden. They have stolen some by building their extension across the boundary in a diagonal style!!!! (straight on plans submitted to Southwark). We have had plants stolen from the front of the house too but they pale in comparison

• 2 weeks later...