Forum Sponsors

Your Local Personal Trainer

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.inshutters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messagePlant theft Oglander Road
Posted by Carrie March 29, 07:42AM

Someone has dug up plants from my front garden overnight - has anyone else on Oglander noticed any losses. Why would someone do that? I realise Iím irrationally upset over the loss of a few penstemons!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 29, 07:56am by Carrie.

messageRe: Pant theft Oglander Road
Posted by Penguin68 March 29, 07:46AM

This thread's title offers more than it delivers!

Posted by Carrie March 29, 07:56AM

Oops - now corrected - damn autocorrect!

Posted by shen March 29, 08:25AM

Same thing happened to us on Oglander last year. There is a thread somewhere about it but canít find it now. Reluctant to plant new plants this year in case happens again. Thinking of planting lavender as my next door neighbourís new lavender was not stolen. The thief is evidently not a fan.

messageRe: Plant theft Oglander Road
Posted by snoopy17 March 29, 11:36PM

someone jealous of you? stolen for spite?

Posted by Captain Marvel March 30, 08:22AM

Snowdropper!

Posted by IlonaM March 30, 09:36AM

It's odd - there is definitely someone a little light-handed in that area. When I lived on Soames St a few years ago I mulched the front garden with bark chips before going on holiday and someone had meticulously removed virtually all of it from around a lot of plants by the time I returned.

Posted by Carrie March 31, 10:45AM

More plants went last night 😪

Posted by Mands March 31, 03:05PM

We had plants stolen last year. A fusia plant disappeared along with a garden hose. we now have cctv so hopefully wont happen again this year.

Posted by ktbg March 31, 08:30PM

In the last 12 months weíve had 4 hanging baskets stolen from our garden on Oglander.

Posted by Carrie April 01, 01:14PM

The consensus amongst the neighbours is that they are being taken to be sold on at car boot sales.

I've given up on the idea of putting in plants now - can't afford to fund someone else's "business" - and will just be scattering seed from now on.

Posted by Sue April 01, 08:53PM

Carrie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The consensus amongst the neighbours is that they
> are being taken to be sold on at car boot sales.
>

Some years back I had planted up window boxes stolen, and the police said there had been a spate of such thefts.

It was just before Mother's Day.

Maybe the same reason??

Posted by Jules-and-Boo April 02, 12:40PM

I would be inclined to have a very visible gardening day and then stay up to catch the thief. Sensor lights would be good.

Or you could put notices up on lamp posts drawing attention to the thefts and asking neighbours to keep their eyes open.

You could set up a neighbourhood watch scheme and be proactive.

Posted by goldilocks April 02, 02:00PM

Or install cctv over your front garden?

Posted by mc April 05, 01:24PM

We had a small olive tree in a pot stolen from our front garden a few weeks ago. We live in Ady's road. Very frustrating. Am similarly reluctant to put anything else out there now in case that goes too I didn't bother reporting it to the police - should I have done?

Posted by Lynne April 05, 01:54PM

I ran a rope from inside the pot (knotted above the hole in the base) and tied it to a bush. Probably wouldn't have stopped a really determined effort, but would stop a casual grab.

Posted by mc April 05, 05:22PM

ooh that sounds like a good idea, I may try it, thanks Lynne!

Posted by Angelina April 05, 10:22PM

You can drill through the bases and fix them to the floor ow windowsills

Posted by Frankito April 06, 08:02AM

Sadly that wonít prevent the actual plants from being removed.

Angelina Wrote:
> You can drill through the bases and fix them to
> the floor ow windowsills

Posted by Angelina April 06, 07:05PM

you could drill a cover over the pot (like a pond cover - plants could grow through it but not be taken. Prob better for shrubs, trees than border plants.

What times.

It sounds from other posts that there are some very blatant and shameless thieves around.

Posted by edcam April 06, 08:22PM

Sorry to hear this but to be honest, penstemons promise more than they deliver. I hope your thieves dwell on that once they realise their folly.

Posted by Sue April 07, 01:36AM

edcam Wrote:
> Sorry to hear this but to be honest, penstemons
> promise more than they deliver. I hope your
> thieves dwell on that once they realise their
> folly.

Nooooo!

Penstemons are lovely!

smiling smiley

Posted by whodhavethoughit April 14, 04:48PM

I can top all of this - our neighbour with the help of Plus Rooms attempted to steal part of our back garden. They have stolen some by building their extension across the boundary in a diagonal style!!!! (straight on plans submitted to Southwark). We have had plants stolen from the front of the house too but they pale in comparison

Posted by ktbg April 25, 08:23AM

Last night a rose bush was dug up and stolen from our front garden. How can we stop this?

Posted by nxjen April 25, 10:05AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 25, 10:07am by nxjen.

Posted by healer April 26, 02:13PM

It must be very common for plants to be stolen all around East Dulwich. I live in Upland Road and had two topiary plants stolen in their tubs.They were very heavy so it must have been a two person job. I was shocked but have since found out that this is common.

I now chain up my plant pots at the front of the house and buy cheap less showy plants. I also chain up my hanging baskets.

So sad that people will steal our lovely plants that we are trying to make our area look nice,

Posted by JaneB November 04, 04:51PM

We recently moved to Oglander Road and clearly spent far too much on our front garden! Two pots were stolen within a fortnight of moving in, 4 shrubs a week or so ago and to top it all a tree today. I've now moved the other 2 trees to the back of the house but my denuded flower bed still offers some opportunity for theft. Rumour has it that the culprit is known and not deterred by cameras. It's rotten for everyone that the street view can never be improved and really depressing that we can do nothing to stop it.
I don't suppose anyone saw someone struggling to remove an ornamental tree from a raised flowerbed this morning, we think between 10 and 11?

Posted by KidKruger November 04, 06:26PM

Get another large plant in another large pot, put it in your front garden with a tracking device in the bottom of the soil, set-up a hidden camera and see what happens overnight.

Posted by Sue November 04, 07:27PM

KidKruger Wrote:
> Get another large plant in another large pot, put
> it in your front garden with a tracking device in
> the bottom of the soil, set-up a hidden camera and
> see what happens overnight.

I like your thinking, KK! Especially the tracking device! Genius! (Well, depending how much they cost ....._

Posted by Penguin68 November 04, 07:32PM

Let's hope the theives don't read the forum...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum