New garden waste regs??

I have read the leaflet and my understanding is that you have to buy the brown bags and can only use them if you don?t have a brown bin. They can?t be used by brown bin owners unless they are in the bin with the lid closed.

There is no mention of the brown bags in the leaflet so my presumption is that they may collect them but once you've run out that's it. Not sure that the libraries will want to take on the admin of selling the bags in future.

We have been trying to get brown bags from library for the best part of 6 weeks, we have a brown bin but knew from experience that our once a year full garden maintenance produces much more. The gardeners solved it by bringing several large bags (used for sand etc) and did several trips to the tip.

apbremer, yes, you will still be able to use the brown biodegradable bags. None of the stockists that previously had the brown bags have received any deliveries from Southwark Council for about the last month. You can buy 20 for ?15 from Southwark Council www.southwark.gov.uk. You will need to book a collection, via the website, each time you wish to leave a bag or bags out for collection. There is no mention of an additional charge for this collection. There is a separate thread about this already: Brown bin collection - Council starting to charge? new Goto Page: 1 ... 6, 7, 8

EDBoy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> apbremer, yes, you will still be able to use the

> brown biodegradable bags. None of the stockists

> that previously had the brown bags have received

> any deliveries from Southwark Council for about

> the last month. You can buy 20 for ?15 from

> Southwark Council www.southwark.gov.uk. You will

> need to book a collection, via the website, each

> time you wish to leave a bag or bags out for

> collection. There is no mention of an additional

> charge for this collection. There is a separate

> thread about this already: Brown bin collection -

> Council starting to charge? new Goto Page: 1

> ... 6, 7, 8

But at the moment this information is not on Southwark?s website & you cannot order bags.

I found this information here.

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/garden-waste-collection-subscriptions?chapter=2

At the moment, if you leave the brown bags next to the bin, they put the bags either in your bin, or another bin with more space.

Yes, I can't see that you can order the bags on the Southwark website yet. I was replying to the original post by apbremer.

On page 6 of the leaflet it states that they will not collect extra garden waste if placed next to the bin. I assumed that meant that they will not collect extra brown bags if you have a brown bin. What do others think it means as it is not clear to me..

I live in SE24. Today is bin day. I put out the green bin and the brown bin. The brown bin was full and I placed a brown biodegradable bag that was also full, next to it. The brown bin is now empty and the bag has gone. After June 1st, if you subscribe for a brown bin, you will need to place the brown bag in the brown bin or, you will need to book a collection, via the website, each time you wish to leave a bag or bags out for collection. Why would you pay for brown bags to put in your brown bin, that you have already paid for, through the subscription?

From faqs:

What if I want to sign up but don?t have space for a brown wheeled bin?

If your property does not have space for a garden waste bin, but you do still have a garden and wish to dispose of your waste, you will be able to purchase a pack of 20 garden waste bags for ?15 from www.southwark.gov.uk. These are not a direct alternative to having the garden waste wheeled bin - you will need to book a collection, via the website, each time you wish to leave a bag or bags out for collection.

I think we will all have to wait and see how this works as we all garden in different ways. Im more of a blitz garden so do loads on a weekend and then nothing - in this case I could fill the bin and buy the bags and book a collection to get rid of it. OR I pile it up and get rid of one bin load each week. OR I don't subscribe and take it to the dump myself. Or i change the way i garden and do just a bin load a week. Im still debating !

Yes i ordered both the small caddy and the bigger lockable one for outside. From memory, i had to order each one separately as it wouldn't let me tick both, but i maybe i missed something on the online form

Sally Eva Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But the food caddy collection is stll free, yes?