Next door neighbour constantly smoking Cannabis in back garden

My next door neighbour is constantly smoking Cannabis in his back garden as early as 10am one morning and sporadically throughout the day/evening. The smell is unbearable. His landlord is Southwark Council. Has anyone experienced this issue before?

That's really awful; I'm sorry you're stuck with that. My mother had the same problem with her next door neighbours. As it was rented accommodation, she contacted the housing association that managed it and complained. They warned the tenants that they must comply with the terms of the lease and, if they didn't, would be asked to leave. It hasn't totally resolved the problem, but it is slightly better, and the tenants now usually smoke inside.

It's illegal, Not as if many of us haven't done it, but most would probably show a bit more discretion and courtesy. Old Bill, starting off with the community plod, so as to handle it sensitively (ie mate don't do it here).

Jcon13, I totally understand you, as we have a similar issue.

Southwark Council tell us the police needs to deal with it, and the police tell us, Southwark council has to deal with it as our neighbour is a Council tenant...

It is an illegal drug, which I might not disagree with, but you should respect your neighbours.

Have you tried speaking to them directly? If they are smoking so frequently I'd be inclined to think they are using it for support with a medical condition (pain). My daughter had an issue with a neighbour doing the same with cigarettes and then cannabis, she just spoke to them politely and said that my grandson was imitating them. This embarrassed them a bit and they made an effort to move away from the shared wall. I'm glad to hear the police haven't taken an interest as clearly a personal problem, one where I'm sure some patience and understanding is needed. I hate the smell admittedly but with the relaxation over the personal use laws, accept we will be smelling this more often. You were at pains to mention their landlord is southwark council, have you approached your own to be moved if it is that so detrimental to you? Take it from me, wherever possible I would urge you to maintain good relationships with your neighbours....it makes life so much easier for everyone. You'll never know when you are in need, who will be able to help.

I understand that cannabis is (currently) illegal, but I don't think you need to state that it's cannabis to make your point. I too hate having my doors/windows open when my neighbours are smoking, regardless of what it is, I just hate breathing in second hand smoke in my own house. Furthermore, it's followed by the constant sound of coughing (like ...?!)

I tend to think smells are par for the course living in a city? Like it might be exhaust fumes, or take away places or someone having bonfires or barbecues. Nothing you can do about it really... and of course one man's meat is another's murder, I don't mind the smell myself.

ah you see, some people these days think they are entitled to all the pleasures of rural countryside living, yet still choose to live in one of the worlds major cities at the same time, then complain they are not getting the best of both worlds.

See also, Gala Festival.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can?t smell worse than fags, surely ?

flipping does, we had neighbours that did this, don't have a problem with weed, only had one when we couldn't open any windows in the summer as it stank our flat out and lingered for ages... still we could always tell when our cat had visited them though :)

We did politely ask if they could just smoke it away from the back of the house, which they did, and wasn't so bad.

I believe they were evicted by their landlord eventually ( not paying rent, not puff related) The landlord had to chuck all the furnishings away as it really smelled .. it was piled up in the drive and you could smell it as you passed.

We have neighbours that regularly smoke cigarettes outside, definitely doesn't hang around or intrude as much, and doesn't waft into our house

• 7 months later...

Hello

Yes we have....we have had a nightmare neighbour previously from southwark council...council was aware the actual tenant was subletting the flat and was making money on her affordable housing as well as they were aware the subletting tenant smoked cannabis on daily basis..... Southwark has done nothing about either of these issues and their response to cannabis complaint was " that is not their responsibility and we should call the police"....the only good thing Southwark was good at was to collect money from their freeholders ...

Put a little speaker really close to the fence and play Celine Dion My Heart Will Go On (Titanic) on repeat.

They will find somewhere else to go. Although you may end up never speaking.

Better yet, just have a chat with them. It may not have crossed their minds.

Try the obvious and easy option first.