To the gentleman who broke into my car...

Dear sir,

I hope that you make good use of the backpack that you stole from my car. It's a great backpack, it'll serve you well on your adventures. I also hope that my clothes that were inside it are to your taste and size. I'm afraid you forgot to nick my favourite pair of shoes. They were underneath the backpack, but I guess you missed them in your haste. I noticed that you also helped yourself to an envelope containing 2 bicycle bolts. In case you're wondering, they're M5 bolts for a bicycle bottle cage. I hope you'll have good use for them very soon.

I wish you all the best, and the next time you think it's ok to break into a family car and help yourself to anything you fancy, please don't forget to smile at the camera. The police really like a smiley face on CCTV footage.

Best regards,

C

I provided police with (quite good) pictures of a burglary next door. Several clear shots of the look-out, one of the inside man handing the look-out their loot, taken whilst I was waiting for the police to arrive (I was on the phone to the 999 call centre giving a running commentary on what they were doing). The police turned up 20 minutes later (5 minutes after the the thieves had run away to their waiting car (the details of which had been taken down by another neighbour). Arrests? No of course not, even though they traced the car and the people. 'Not enough evidence'. So clear camera shots, two witnesses insufficient. Don't hold your breath for a 'result'.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I provided police with (quite good) pictures of a

> burglary next door. Several clear shots of the

> look-out, one of the inside man handing the

> look-out their loot, taken whilst I was waiting

> for the police to arrive (I was on the phone to

> the 999 call centre giving a running commentary on

> what they were doing). The police turned up 20

> minutes later (5 minutes after the the thieves had

> run away to their waiting car (the details of

> which had been taken down by another neighbour).

> Arrests? No of course not, even though they traced

> the car and the people. 'Not enough evidence'. So

> clear camera shots, two witnesses insufficient.

> Don't hold your breath for a 'result'.

What a depressing outcome. Very sorry for you and the OP as I think we would all assume they would have been "nabbed" with such good photos etc

Sorry about what happened to you.

Just to warn you, my other half was attacked in Peckham rye park last year and put out a picture he took (on his mobile) on various local facebook groups. He was threatened quite a bit for doing so, including on this forum (by some friends of the perpetrator)

you may not be using your real name on here, but the perpetrator would obviously remember where you live. So you may want to be careful.

The Police were completely useless in this case too (my partner and I even lodged an official complaint)

CE

He probably used the meagre pickings to buy drugs or alcohol or pay for his gambling addiction so that's rather tragic in itself (annoying for you of course!).

Someone broke into my car and stole a bulging Sainsburys carrier bag. All it contained was home-made compost donated by my Mum. A tiny part of me still feels sorry for him/her.

PLEASE PLEASE try and attend local safer neighbourhood teams at which your local police will attend. Then discover what they DO do. Who they DO catch. And tell them of your concerns. Seriously, they are trying hard and their budgets are cut. Google Met Police SNT and find the details of your local SNT meetings. They happen every two months or so.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I provided police with (quite good) pictures of a

> burglary next door. Several clear shots of the

> look-out, one of the inside man handing the

> look-out their loot, taken whilst I was waiting

> for the police to arrive (I was on the phone to

> the 999 call centre giving a running commentary on

> what they were doing). The police turned up 20

> minutes later (5 minutes after the the thieves had

> run away to their waiting car (the details of

> which had been taken down by another neighbour).

> Arrests? No of course not, even though they traced

> the car and the people. 'Not enough evidence'. So

> clear camera shots, two witnesses insufficient.

> Don't hold your breath for a 'result'.

They have to be careful - see Line of Duty ...

"Tony Gates is renowned for returning the best crime figures of any unit in Central Police. It is this reputation, however, that leads AC-12 to his team. "