Penalty Charge notice for taking left turn..

I have had a penalty notice for taking a left turn off East Dulwich Road onto Peckham Rye.. anyone received one of these for this particular junction? I have taken a left turn at that spot hundreds of times in the past. In the penalty notice it says I did not follow the arrow on a blue sign which I do not recall ever being.. obviously I know you cannot take a right turn onto Peckham Rye but this is news to me not being able to take a left turn.

Or is the arrow being referred to the sign at the top of Peckham Rye saying left for East Dulwich/Nunhead and right for Forest Hill/Dulwich and the OP went left for Forest Hill.

Surely not - that would mean being fined for a Layer 3 routing issue as network guys would say.

See the (Prescribed Routes) (Various Streets) (No. 4) Traffic Order 2011, that's downloadable from the Southwark favourite TMOs page https://www.southwark.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/roadworks-and-highway-improvements/traffic-management-orders?chapter=4, for the authoritative specification.

East Dulwich Road & Peckham Rye (western arm):

8.1 Every person causing any vehicle to proceed in a southbound direction in that length of Peckham Rye (the western arm) which lies north of its junction with East Dulwich Road shall, upon reaching its junction with East Dulwich Road, cause that vehicle to proceed ahead into that length of Peckham Rye (the western arm) which lies south of its junction with East Dulwich Road.

8.2 No person causing any vehicle to proceed in a northbound direction in Peckham Rye (the western arm) shall, upon reaching its junction with East Dulwich Road, cause that vehicle to turn right into East Dulwich Road.

8.3 No person causing any vehicle to proceed in a westbound direction in East Dulwich Road shall, upon reaching its junction with Peckham Rye (the western arm), cause that vehicle to turn right into Peckham Rye (the western arm).

8.4 Nothing in Article 8.3 preceding shall apply to a bus or a pedal cycle.

That doesn't preclude there being an additional one, though I'd expect any that there was to have also been included in the same page.

There's a mistake somewhere because you can turn left into Peckham Rye from E.Dulwich Road- I've had a good look on Google Street view and the arrows are painted on the road (because I do that journey fairly frequently.) All of ianr's list have been in place for years

Is there a photo attached?

That is meant to be the proof that you did it. If there is no photo or no signs then take some photos yourself showing that what you did is permitted and appeal within the time limit.

Be careful because the grounds for appeal are limited to relevant matters -- things like "I've done this for years" etc would not be grounds for appeal but if there are poorly sited signs (or no signs) or the photo does not show that you did anything wrong then you can appeal.

It's possible that this has always been banned and the camera has only just been installed. It's also possible that it's not correct.

dresswaves Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That doesn't make sense. The only banned left turn

> is travelling south on Peckham Rye, you can't turn

> left towards Nunhead. And that's a red no left

> turn sign & road markings.

This is correct. I use that junction every day and this is the only place to my knowledge that such a ticket would be issued. But the OP was not on PR, not traveling south, not turning left toward Nunhead.So it makes no sense. They have made a mistake. Appeal it. It would only take a 5 min movie clip of the junction to show you are right.

According to the signpost as you come south from Peckham, after taking the left fork where the 343/78/P12s go, and Peckham Rye Park is in front of you at the lights, where you can turn left for Nunhead and Right (where the 37 goes) for East Dulwich - according to the signpost there IS NO road straight ahead (to Brockley/Honor Oak Crematorium). Only left or right. However, I can not quite make out where the OP was describing. Certainly it is badly signposted around all those junctions, but clearly signposted that when travelling south towards Peckham Rye where you've taken the right fork (where the 63/363/12/197 go) that you can only go straight ahead towards Forest Hill Road, and not left or right.

matthew123 Wrote:

> Click on the google link -

> https://goo.gl/maps/h5YTW4QunvxmEKYr9

>

> I took a left at this junction down Peckham Rye..

> and that this is the penalty notice i received

Unless it's changed very recently there's no restriction turning left (or right) at that junction when travelling from that direction on E.Dulwich Road.

matthew123 Wrote:

> Click on the google link -

> https://goo.gl/maps/h5YTW4QunvxmEKYr9

>

> I took a left at this junction down Peckham Rye..

> and that this is the penalty notice i received

I go left there all the time after a Sainsburys visit.

The old Kings on the Rye.

Edit: Unless something temporary was up due to the Rye Lane road works ?

wonderwoman Wrote:

> Btw does anyone know about Denmark hill bus lane,

> couldn't see any signs and only saw bus stop along

> the road opposite the station. Have there been any

> successful challenges?

By "opposite the station" do you mean on Champion Park? If so, the signs are there. Mostly around there I think bus lanes are 7am-7pm Monday to Sunday, perhaps partly due to the proximity of the hospital. I don't know the road on Denmark Hill itself though.

If you go futher up the road on your Google link view you can see the road clearly marked with the straight on and left arrows on the inside lane and the right turn arrows in the outer lane. If you were in the outer lane and turned left that would probably result in a penalty.