Dog bite in Ruskin Park this morning

To the dog walker in Ruskin Park this morning, whose dog bit a runner as she ran past.... just to let you know I?m okay. You were part of a group of dog walkers around 10am this morning, and none of you bothered to ask if I was okay, or even utter an apology. When I challenged you angrily that your dog bit me, at first you denied it, then realising that you couldn?t deny what had happened, you has the tenacity to say it was my fault for running past.....

Please keep your dog on a shorter leash if it?s inclined to lunge and bite People as they pass. I?m glad I wasn?t running with my children this morning, or it may have been far worse. As I now know what you and your grumpy dog look like, I?ll know to avoid you and run through the flower beds, but other park users may not.

Running in a park is normal behaviour.

It?s up to dog owners to ensure park users are not in danger from their dogs !

Seems worth reporting to me.

From your description of events, by the the dog walker?s logic if a child runs past and gets bitten too, it?s the child?s fault at least in part ?!

Sorry to hear about this, I hope you?re OK (and not put-off running !).

I would report her - what an unsavoury person - no doubt she is paid to walk and look after dogs - seems people just do that for the money without caring about the dogs they look after and ensuring they behave properly/ don't attack.

I would go back, see her, take a photo and post it on EDF/ FB East Dulwich Mums page.

There was a post about a dogwalker who had left the dogs locked in the car in the heat, in Herne Hill - and how worried she was for their welfare.

I - for one - would like to see paid dog walkers registered so there is a process for reporting this type of behaviour and letting the owners know.

Dogs that chase should be muzzled.

I'd agree with Jules-and-Boo for taking pictures and putting it on sites.

Just to warn you to take some protections whilst you do this.

My partner suffered a dog attack in Peckham rye park last October, and took a video of the dog owner. He was later attacked by the owner's partner (and took a picture of him). He put the picture online (not the video which was shown to the police).

Unsurprisingly, he was dealing with some particular unscrupulous individuals and by using his own name on FB etc, he initiated some quite intensive personal abuse against him (including on EDF incidentally).

I'd strongly recommend setting up anonymous profiles and posting such pictures etc that way.

If the dog has a bite history and caused deep punture wounds requiring medical attention, there might be reason to take drastic measures but it is not clear if this incident involved a bite, as in bruising and wounding, or was more of a nip. The latter is obviously anti social and unpleasant but should not mean the dog is PTS. As others have suggested, muzzling and training are probably more appropriate in that sort of scenario.

Sorry to hear this. As a park runner I've learned to give very wide berths to dogs I calculate are going to chase and leap at me - which has happened many times - and, frankly I now distrust all dogs off leads. More often though, dogs routinely run across my path and with a combination of their solid body mass and my momentum, have had me flat on my face (so far, luckily on grass) when on one occasion an owner had no concern whatsoever about my welfare. I know some of the Ruskin Park's dog walkers and while most are considerate and polite, some seem to think their importance there rises above all others.

Don't let them spoil your enjoyment of park running!

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A lady died yesterday from a dog bite she received

> last week, up North I think.

> No joke.

Yes I read that.

As she treated the dog (vet) but not herself (doctor) I suppose it was an infection.