Bin rummaging / stealing on Lordship Lane

Over the past three weeks, I?ve noticed that the bins outside the house are getting some unwelcome attention - the bin bags are being opened with the contents removed. I?ve noticed this has happened at least three times to my knowledge, but could have been more frequent than that. I have not seen who is doing it, and suspect it is happening over the course of the night. What is particularly worrying is that I had thrown out an old mountaineering coat that had completely lost its waterproofing as well issues with the down that couldn?t be fixed - and it had been removed from the bin bag and put back into the bin - it would have looked like a prime thing to steal if one was looking for items to steal. Which suggests to me that someone is looking for other things - such as bank statements and letters. Either way, I?ve reported it to the police and I think they?ve been trying to call back (promising) whilst I?ve been out this afternoon.

This is happening on Lordship Lane, near the junction with Townley Road. Has anyone else noticed anything recently? The previous threads I?ve seen on this date back to 2017z and has anyone noticed any strange bin rummaging recently?

Worth being careful with what you are putting into your rubbish.

Thank you!

I saw a woman going through bins on the front of someone?s house last week. It was just next to the traffic lights opposite Townley Road. She had ripped open a carrier bag (Sainsbury?s I think)and was looking at the paperwork in the bin and putting some in her bag. I was coming out of Townley Road waiting to turn left as the lights were red. She looked Romanian, was quite well dressed and had a shopping trolley with her that she was putting the things in. I shouted at her, she looked and just carried on.

Thank you very much, this is tremendously helpful. And it sounds like you may have seen her outside the house as well! What a bizarre set up - well dressed, shopping trolley etc. I will let the police know, much appreciated - and for trying to move her on too. Do you have any idea of what time of day it may have been - was it broad daylight?

There are groups or woman who do this all over Dulwich/Peckham/Camberwell area, they do it early morning, afternoon and in the evening. They have a shopping trolley with them they are so brazen and could care less if anyone sees them. They are clearly searching for paperwork as when you put something good in the bin they don't take it.

I've even seen one woman with her half her body in the bin with her legs sticking out.

Get a shredder.

snoopy17 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've even seen one woman with her half her body in

> the bin with her legs sticking out.

>

> Get a shredder.

Gosh Snoopy, that's a bit extreme putting a shredder at the bottom of the bin, not sure how the council will react to a pair of legs and a shredded torso sticking out of the bin .....

Unless you mean a paper shredded of course 🤔 Which is always the best advice

budleigh Wrote:

> I'm sure if she didn't need to do it, she

> wouldn't. Only on EDF would someone be offended by

> a poor person stealing their trash.

>

> P.s. Shred/burn your paperwork. It's common sense.

They are not poor people, they are aactively looking to steal your identity, all they take out of the bin is paperwork and if you didn't read the op it says they didn't bother take a fancy coat. Bet they searched the pockets though.

"Shoes! Clothes!" is the usual response I get from these people upon challenging. Not sure where they come from but they appear to be Roma people. Papers/bills/statements are what they tend to stash in their trolleys - not shoes or clothes. I always shout at them which momentarily deters their behaviour until they go round the corner. They're usually in pairs, mostly women but sometimes young men on their own. And yes, it's my refuse but that doesn't mean it belongs to them. Scummers!

• 2 weeks later...
This happened to us a couple of years ago on Copleston Road. We sorted some old clothes out, took two bags to the Mind shop and put a third bag of clothes - that were well past their use by date - in the bin. When we got back from the Mind shop, our bin was open and the bag of clothes had gone. It was quite unnerving because the clothes had only been in the bin for ten minutes and we thought whoever had taken them might have been watching the house and had seen us put them in.

budleigh Wrote:

> I'm sure if she didn't need to do it, she

> wouldn't. Only on EDF would someone be offended by

> a poor person stealing their trash.

>

> P.s. Shred/burn your paperwork. It's common sense.

Burn isn't an option if you live in flats (unless there's an incinerator somewhere around we can take out paperwork to)

I've got statements going back 20 years I'm beginning to chuck in a clearout and shredding takes ages.

Mcallum32 Wrote:

> This happened to us a couple of years ago on

> Copleston Road. We sorted some old clothes out,

> took two bags to the Mind shop and put a third bag

> of clothes - that were well past their use by date

> - in the bin. When we got back from the Mind

> shop, our bin was open and the bag of clothes had

> gone. It was quite unnerving because the clothes

> had only been in the bin for ten minutes and we

> thought whoever had taken them might have been

> watching the house and had seen us put them in.

There is a place on the A13 near Beckton run by East Europeans and they take rags by the kg.

JohnL Wrote:

> budleigh Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'm sure if she didn't need to do it, she

> > wouldn't. Only on EDF would someone be offended

> by

> > a poor person stealing their trash.

> >

> > P.s. Shred/burn your paperwork. It's common

> sense.

>

>

> Burn isn't an option if you live in flats (unless

> there's an incinerator somewhere around we can

> take out paperwork to)

>

> I've got statements going back 20 years I'm

> beginning to chuck in a clearout and shredding

> takes ages.

John, we use these guys.

https://shop.restore.co.uk/product/confidential-paper-security-sacks/

Contrary to what is stated on this page, we weren't charged for collection. Brilliant service.

Re the point above about burning/shredding paper, you can also put confidential papers (or the part of them with useable identifying features on) in a bucket (or bath) of water, with or without washing up liquid, leave them to soak for a bit, then mash them to a pulp. A lot quicker than shredding, at least if you only have a smallish personal shredder rather than a massive office shredder.

However, don't do what I did and put the resultant pulp in a compost bin. It just all stuck together, the worms didn't like it, and I had to fish it all out again (still all stuck together) after months :))

I have no idea whether the pulp would go into the blue recycling bin or the green bin, though. I will soon find out, as I too am sorting through about twenty years' worth of financial stuff :(

Admin: I know this is off topic, but I am responding to a post above.

macutd Wrote:

> i saw this woman going through bins as she walked

> up Grove lane yesterday putting bits in her case,

I found this same lady rummaging through our bin 2 weeks ago and told her, not so politely, to remove herself from the street. She said 'no speak English' to which I angrily pointed down the street and said 'leave'. She left and I haven't seen her since.

There are a LOT of elderly people along my street. In fact, one of said gentlmen watched the whole thing take place and asked why she was in the rubbish. I did explain what 'could' happen, so he will hopefully be diligent in not putting personal-identifing items in the bin.