Forum Sponsors

www.no-flies.co.uk

www.littleloud.org

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
message'Never-use' plastic bags distributed by charities
Posted by TaVa July 01, 04:12PM

I just send the following message to our Southwark MPs Harriet Harman, Helen Hayes and Neil Coyle and would encourage everybody in Dulwich to send a similar message if you are - like me - appalled by the indiscriminate distribution of 'never-use' plastic bags by charities.

Dear Southwark MPs,

The government successfully introduced pricing for 'single-use' plastic bags; thus reducing their use considerably. But the amount of 'never-use' plastic bags indiscriminately distributed by charities to every household in the borough (and country) is appalling!

As a resident of Southwark (East Dulwich), I received more than 30 bags in less than 3 years (see attached photo)!!! Multiply that by the number of households in the borough (and country), this will amount to a huge mountain of plastic never used that will eventually land on landfills or worse: in the oceans. Environmentally very irresponsible! The worst 'offender' seems to be the Macmillan Cancer Support accounting for 12 of my 30 bags.

While I understand the need of charities to raise funds for their good causes, they should consider the impact of their distribution of 'never-use' plastic bags and find ways to avoid this environmentally bad practice. Perhaps they could use compostable and bio-degradable bags could instead, collect their bags for re-distribution, provide bags on request only, or similar.

Please use your influence to eliminate the distribution of 'never-use' plastic bags.

Thanks!

messageRe: 'Never-use' plastic bags distributed by charities
Posted by Sally Eva July 01, 04:23PM

I use mine in my kitchen bin. Many of these are scammy -- misusing the names of good causes etc.

Posted by womanofdulwich July 01, 04:49PM

Lucky you- save you buying a bin liner- I live in Lambeth and we have not been sent any bags from charities for over a year now!

Posted by Sue July 01, 09:08PM

I use all the bags left by charities, as bin liners or for collecting stuff to compost.

Why would you not?

Posted by peckham_ryu July 01, 10:56PM

Oh I thought the charity drivers were supposed to collect the bags back from your doorstep, including the unopened ones? I might be mistaken, or confusing them with Avon catalogues maybe. I wouldn’t leave them out anyway as they come in handy as rubbish sacks, or for taking stuff to the charity shop (not generally the charity that left the bag!).

Posted by sweetgirl July 01, 11:45PM

I don't leave my bags out for them to collect.... I'm quite happy to receive a free rubbish bag. 😀

Posted by Callie July 02, 10:56AM

I like getting the free bags too. They are great for using as kitchen bin liners🙂

Posted by peckman July 02, 11:56AM

TaVa

Good post . Im sick of getting them as well -- they arent even from charities themselves but third parties

Posted by OutOfFocus July 02, 12:19PM

I've tried using them and find they break. Maybe they were old ones starting to biodegrade.

Never quite trusted the van to pick them up

Posted by Angharad_L July 02, 03:12PM

Surely the benefit of recycling clothes outweighs the environmental impact of a plastic bag?

Posted by macutd July 03, 06:28PM

yes i too appreciate free bin bags
please keep them coming

Posted by AlleynView July 08, 09:54PM

Scourge on the environment aside, I'm afraid if you read the fine print, very little money goes to the actual charity for your clothes when you use house-to-house collection (like £50 per TONNE!). We are all much better off giving clothes to a charity shop, where the charity gets roughly 50x more for the same clothes. Bags are slightly better than landfill, I guess, but we could do so much better in terms of both recycling and impact.

[www.charitybags.org.uk]

[no connection to any of this, btw, other than being appalled when I eventually read the fine print on those collection bags!]

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum