travel to Gatwick

Southern from East Dulwich to East Croydon, then fast train to gatwick, you can make it in 45 mins, doesn't run in the rush hour though. Otherwise Southern into London Bridge and thameslink direct to Gatwick.

Yes muffins that has been my experience getting trains at forest hill. Time to get the bus there and wait for trains..My dilema was to drive and park at airport more expensive or leave earlier and take the bus/ train option which will be cheaper ...My gut is going with train option..just to decide forest hill or east Dulwich as i am in between the two stations.

Yes muffins that has been my experience getting trains at forest hill. Time to get the bus there and wait for trains..My dilema was to drive and park at airport more expensive or leave earlier and take the bus/ train option which will be cheaper My gut is going with train option..just decide forest hill or east Dulwich as No am in between the two stations.

If you live near the Horniman then Forest Hill / East Croydon / Gatwick as everyone else says.

Easy.

Bit more awkward coming back especially in the evening as the trains never sync and you have to hang around at East Croydon. I often cab it from there.

I do this a lot

Even with luggage/family - I find the train easier than sitting in a taxi crawling through south london

I usually train from ED > East Croydon> LGW. 45-60 minutes

Coming back, I get train to East Croydon then an Uber to pick me up from East Croydon. - 45 mins total

The trick is to get Uber to pick you up from back entrance of East Croydon (Dingwall Road) - its much easier for them to get to. You have to use the platform bridge furthest away from the station to find this exit

Last week I traveled to Madrid (I travel a fair bit for work)

Uber from Underhill 5:00am

East Croydon train at 5:31 am to Gatwick

Fast track (?5) through security

All clear at 6:05am ready to avoid duty by turning right, not left after security (it?s the route the special transportation buggies take) to breeze into the main departure area.

oh my gosh ed26 brilliant tip, /i did not even think of that, my flight will return around 6pm.. Deffo gotta be the train option, shame its such a flaff of a bus and train and change of train combo to get from A - b.

Such is life..

Drive if you have a car. Use a valet service, drive to terminal, give your car to anointed firm, enjoy your holiday in the knowledge it will be there when you get back and can drive home. Same if not cheaper than a cab. www.looking4parking.com is worth a look to find deals and there always are.

Taking the train from East Dulwich to Gatwick via East Croydon is a pleasant and stress free 46 minutes. By car or taxi it would be around 1 hour 15, but wildly unpredictable at busy times due to traffic, and much less relaxing. The train via Croydon is so good I always try and fly by Gatwick. It even beats City Airport as there's only one change on the way.

This is what I do too. Uber to East Croydon isn't too pricey and then jump on a fast train and you're there in 14 minutes for another ?5 or so. Best time v cost compromise.

slarti b Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Uber\minicab to East Croydon then train to

> Gatwick.