Large rat in back garden, 4:45pm today

It's not unusual. There are thousands of rats roaming around East Dulwich.

They are everywhere. I'm between Whateley and North cross. I saw a few rats a few weeks ago

and even found a dead rat in my small back garden.

I have seen them in the evening in North Cross Road after the Market on Sat.

I have even seen them crossing Lordship lane during the day when sitting outside the EDT.

Do not be too alarmed

A couple of years ago I found one in my sitting room next to the armchair I was sitting in.

and then it got into my Kitchen cabinet under my sink.

I did call someone in but it seemed to of escaped into my back yard when I left the Patio doors open,

The Foxes help keep the Rat population down.

DulwichFox

Has one of your neighbours put up a bird feeder? The only time we?ve ever seen rats regularly running through the garden was when our neighbours did just that - the rat (female and pregnant by the looks of it) was coming several times a day to eat all the seeds and bits knocked off the feeder by the birds. As soon as they got rid of the feeder, the rat disappeared.

We had rats in our dining room a couple of years ago. Got Pest control company who pointed out that 2 doors down were doing building work and had obviously disturbed a nest whilst dinging the foundations for an extension. Laid down poison under a loose floorboard, came back twice to check situation - not had rats since. Touch wood.

Had a rat in our garden about a year ago, discovered that if you call the council, they will come sort it out for free! We are in Forest Hill, so Lewisham, but sure same applies in Southwark? He was like an angel, found the newly uncovered sewer hole, sorted it, set a bait station (turned out several neighbours had complained too) and we never saw Ratty again. I love that man so much!

I wouldn't bother with Southwark council, I left the front door open and a rat must have ran in, as to my horror I swa one in my kitchen. I was so scared, I left the patio door open for it to run out.

When Southwark council came all he did was look in the kitchen cupboard and say he can't see any rat in it. That cost me ?30 for his expert opinion.

FussyGalore Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For the first time, I saw a large rat (thought it

> was pregnant) trotting through our tiny back

> garden. I live near Colwell Road, Playfield

> Crescent and Melbourne Grove. Has anyone else seen

> rats? This is certainly an unwelcome situation.

It is certainly an unwelcome situation but something that people will have to live with in London streets.

A few years ago we had a wasp nest and a rat living in our attic at the same time. We had somebody in to sort out the wasp nest but a few days/weeks later still kept hearing scratching noises at night which kept me awake.

With expert advice we found out that it was a lone rat living in our attic and also accessing a large row of houses through their attic system. Apparently, a lone rate urinates and poos in the same spot which they find comfortable, unlike mice which wee and poo everywhere. The rat was urinating and pooing in our attic as their main spot. It was so horrible having to live with the scratching and thought that a rat was above our heads!

Rats can climb walls, fences, drain pipes and can access not just ground spaces but rooftops etc.

Our cat brought a huge live rat into the house through the cat flap a few months back. It was a truly horrible experience, made a lot better by hubby getting the rat out, and me not having to. Thank god he was in the house. The only mildly entertaining bit was seeing how proud the cat was of himself. I still don't know how he managed to manouevre the enormous rat in his mouth through the flap.

FussyGalore Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For the first time, I saw a large rat (thought it

> was pregnant) trotting through our tiny back

> garden.

If you think that?s surprising, don?t go down the park at night. I was minding my own business, nearly got eaten by two vicious cats ... some nutter was actually walking the nasty little clawed psychopaths out on a lead! I?d have been a gonner if it weren?t for the modern miracle of double retracting leashes. Strange times indeed.

Anyway, if you see that one in your garden again, give her my regards. Sounds like my neighbour Sheila. Chances are that litter she?s carrying is mine too x

• 9 months later...

If you visit the pond in Ruskin Park the bold rats often run across your path in broad daylight.

Despite signs up everywhere saying 'do not feed the wildlife in this area' people do and the rats scavenge the left overs