Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
messageUnlablled Brown Bins removal.
Posted by DulwichFox July 30, 09:37AM

They are taking away the Unlabelled Brown Bins this morning.

Currently on Ulverscroft.

DulwichFox

messageRe: Unlablled Brown Bins removal.
Posted by 73jem July 30, 09:49AM

While on the subject of bins, does anyone know when they will start treating kitchen and garden refuse separately?
At the moment I am minded to put everything in the large garden refuse bin as the small brown bin has not always been emptied though put out correctly.

Posted by Callie July 30, 12:05PM

I put mine in the green bin, always have.

Posted by 73jem July 30, 12:28PM

That is what I thought that many must be doing! Locally you hardly ever see a small brown bin on collection day, so people who have not subscribed for garden waste collection must be disposing of kitchen waste in their green bin.

Posted by Callie July 30, 12:38PM

I used to have a small brown bin but it didnít go too well and eventually I gave up. I think I threw it away in the green bin :O

Posted by DulwichFox July 30, 01:02PM

It is quite likely that if food waste is put the Green Bin it will NOT be collected.
You might even get a fine.

Posted by Jules-and-Boo July 30, 01:14PM

what do the contractors actually do with the rubbish? how much gets recycled? what % goes to landfill?
is recycling done in England or sent overseas?
do they have targets in their contract?

Posted by Lollipop July 30, 01:15PM

I have to say that I am very surprised that people won't at least try to recycle their food waste.. It's not that difficult folks!

If you don't have one of the small brown bins, you can get one here [www.southwark.gov.uk]

Having said that I do not understand why, if you have kept your brown bin, you can't put food waste in that any longer.

Posted by sandyman July 30, 02:03PM

Well this is exciting. We paid our £25 subs last week and are still waiting for a sticker to put on our brown bin. Except that we now no longer have a brown bin...

Posted by singalto July 30, 02:04PM

I have paid for a brown bin and still put my food waste in it. As far as I understand the outdoor caddies are emptied into the same lorry as the garden waste. I really donít understand why the brown paper bags canít be collected at the same time!

Posted by spider69 July 30, 02:33PM

In my road a resident's brown bin is used to have caddies emptied into it and then the brown bin is then emptied into the lorry.

If the caddies have non bagged waste it makes the bin stink with left over food. On a number of occasions I have had to spend time washing the whole bin out.

The brown bin is then left wherever they decide.

Perhaps Cllr Livingstone might care to explain why this happens?

How many have paid for the brown bin service and how many bins have been collected because of non payment?

Its a joke.

Posted by DulwichFox July 30, 03:04PM

Our Brown Bin collector is a lovely fellow. Very helpful.

He pushes a Large Brown Bin up the road and puts the food waste from the Garden Caddies in that till it is full
and then it goes in the dust cart. If there is Garden Waste in the large Brown Bin he may put the food waste
in with the Garden Waste till the cart comes up the road and then it gets put in the cart.

It all ends up in the same cart. If you have Garden Waste I can not see a problem putting the Food Waste
(in the appropriate disposable green bags) in with the garden waste.

Putting the small green food waste bags in the Large Brown Bin means the collectors have to bend
over to retrieve them from the bottom of the bin. This must be Back Breaking having to do 100's of bins.

Probably why the Caddies were introduced.

DulwichFox

Posted by 73jem July 30, 04:22PM

I understood from reply by a local councilor [ can't find it now ] that the separation of food and garden waste is because sometime the intention is to use different methods to compost them. Hence my question about when this is to take place.

Posted by Penguin68 July 30, 04:53PM

This links to Veolia's pages on their recycling services in London [www.veolia.co.uk] for those interested in what happens to our waste. This is the link to their Southwark service [www.veolia.co.uk]

Posted by ed26 July 30, 05:22PM

Oh... I've been putting my food waste in compost bags in the big brown bin (labelled). Every time I've used the small food waste bin, the foxes have got into it and spread the food waste all over the front yard.

Posted by DulwichFox July 30, 05:46PM

ed26 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh... I've been putting my food waste in compost
> bags in the big brown bin (labelled). Every time
> I've used the small food waste bin, the foxes have
> got into it and spread the food waste all over the
> front yard.

Must be clever Foxes. The Garden Caddies have a latch
which needs to be released by pressing down a little lever.
Takes two hands to operate as they are quite stiff.

DulwichFox

Posted by ed26 July 30, 07:27PM

Yes, I'm aware. Ours is twisted / deformed so the latch doesn't hold the lid closed. I didn't think much of it as I thought the food waste could go in the garden bin but I'll have to get a replacement.

Posted by singalto July 30, 07:37PM

Of the 80 or so houses in my road, only 13 have the big brown bins.

Posted by Countrlass22 July 30, 10:41PM

Yes took our big brown bin I have new food waste larger bin there emptying it fine weekly labelled mine I simply place top my green bin they empty put it back in yard for me.
Garden waste I'd if loved opt of smaller brown bin half size for small gardens.

As I never filled old big brown one.

I shall do bag system for garden waste when have some.

Posted by DulwichFox July 31, 12:27PM

Countrlass22 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes took our big brown bin I have new food waste
> larger bin there emptying it fine weekly labelled
> mine I simply place top my green bin they empty
> put it back in yard for me.
> Garden waste I'd if loved opt of smaller brown bin
> half size for small gardens.
>
> As I never filled old big brown one.
>
I shall do bag system for garden waste when have some.

A few weeks back. Dulwich Library said they had no garden waste bags and would not be getting any more.
They said there was some at Kingswood Library until they run out.

I was told they would be available to buy from Southwark Council but would not be collected
unless you had paid the £25.00 and had a Brown bin sticker.

You would be able to take the bags to Devon Street.

DulwichFox

Posted by Siduhe July 31, 12:58PM

Quote:
DulwichFox
I was told they would be available to buy from Southwark Council but would not be collected unless you had paid the £25.00 and had a Brown bin sticker. You would be able to take the bags to Devon Street.

DF, what you were told is half right - you can now only buy the bags from Southwark, but once you have bought a set you can then book a street collection of the bags when they are full on the Southwark website (or take them to Devon Street yourself as you mention). What Veolia won't now do is collect paper bags that have been left out if you haven't a) paid for them and b) booked a collection. You don't need to have subscribed to the general service or have a sticker.

I'm not sure it's a more efficient system than the old one but it seems to work ok for me so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 31, 12:58pm by Siduhe.

Posted by DulwichFox July 31, 01:38PM

Thank you Siduhe

It's all very Complicated. No wonder people are confused.

DulwichFox.

Posted by Weeds-in-the-garden July 31, 02:34PM

Does anyone else feel like strewing their garden clippings all over the borough of Southwark?

I've paid for my brown bin, but I resent Southwark so much for their nutjob policies of having two brown bins - one for food, one for garden waste - when they aren't splitting the two.

Let's mass rebel and cut our plants back to the branches and strew them across Southwark!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was july 31, 02:34pm by Weeds-in-the-garden.

Posted by 73jem July 31, 06:36PM

the most recent newsletter from the Dulwich Society [ a reliable source of information ] advises that the intention is indeed to collect the two types of brown bin waste separately --- as I understand it the waste is treated in different ways. This is yet to be organised but is what will happen without further notice.

So we might as well get used to the idea and start putting waste in the appropriate bins.

Posted by mynamehere August 01, 07:01AM

Does anyone know if they will continue to collect in labeled brown bins? Mine wasnít collected.

Posted by spider69 August 01, 07:56AM

I think you will find it will be pot luck what the dustmen decide what they will collect or leave on the day.

It appears some are very helpful some are not.

Last week they left brown bins full of garden waste, this week they collected.

The managing of this whole fiasco has to be admired.

Posted by Penguin68 August 01, 08:45AM

as I understand it the waste is treated in different ways.

Garden waste will continue to be composted, I believe, but over time kitchen waste will be anaerobically digested - this allows for the gasses (I think methane) to be collected and used for power. Things like fresh grass cuttings can also be anaerobically digested but woody cuttings etc. can't be so readily. The residue of anaerobically digested material can also be used as soil improvers.

I do not know, however, what time scale Veolia is working to, to cut over waste treatment and separately treat their different sources of organic waste.

This change in collection method had been implemented, I would guess, as a consequence of charging for garden waste collection. They have to force unstickered large bins out of the borough (and force kerb-side caddies in) to ensure that unpaid for garden waste isn't collected. Somebody not a cynic would argue, of course, that this is just giving folks a long lead time to learn the new ways of recycling, to be ready for the new methods of disposal when (and if) implemented for Southwark collections.

I'm a cynic.

Posted by peckman August 01, 09:35AM

My stickered brown bin was taken away yesterday . Sigh .

Posted by singalto August 01, 10:00AM

Peck an, are you sure it hasnít been put back in the wrong place? Mine was put in my neighbourís garden!

Posted by peckman August 01, 10:22AM

I did the search this morning !! Also have had neighvbours putting their green waste in ours .. i really cant see how this system is going to work !

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum