Unlablled Brown Bins removal.

While on the subject of bins, does anyone know when they will start treating kitchen and garden refuse separately?

At the moment I am minded to put everything in the large garden refuse bin as the small brown bin has not always been emptied though put out correctly.

That is what I thought that many must be doing! Locally you hardly ever see a small brown bin on collection day, so people who have not subscribed for garden waste collection must be disposing of kitchen waste in their green bin.

I have to say that I am very surprised that people won't at least try to recycle their food waste.. It's not that difficult folks!

If you don't have one of the small brown bins, you can get one here https://www.southwark.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/general-household-waste/request-household-waste-bins-bags

Having said that I do not understand why, if you have kept your brown bin, you can't put food waste in that any longer.

I have paid for a brown bin and still put my food waste in it. As far as I understand the outdoor caddies are emptied into the same lorry as the garden waste. I really don?t understand why the brown paper bags can?t be collected at the same time!

In my road a resident's brown bin is used to have caddies emptied into it and then the brown bin is then emptied into the lorry.

If the caddies have non bagged waste it makes the bin stink with left over food. On a number of occasions I have had to spend time washing the whole bin out.

The brown bin is then left wherever they decide.

Perhaps Cllr Livingstone might care to explain why this happens?

How many have paid for the brown bin service and how many bins have been collected because of non payment?

Its a joke.

Our Brown Bin collector is a lovely fellow. Very helpful.

He pushes a Large Brown Bin up the road and puts the food waste from the Garden Caddies in that till it is full

and then it goes in the dust cart. If there is Garden Waste in the large Brown Bin he may put the food waste

in with the Garden Waste till the cart comes up the road and then it gets put in the cart.

It all ends up in the same cart. If you have Garden Waste I can not see a problem putting the Food Waste

(in the appropriate disposable green bags) in with the garden waste.

Putting the small green food waste bags in the Large Brown Bin means the collectors have to bend

over to retrieve them from the bottom of the bin. This must be Back Breaking having to do 100's of bins.

Probably why the Caddies were introduced.

DulwichFox

I understood from reply by a local councilor [ can't find it now ] that the separation of food and garden waste is because sometime the intention is to use different methods to compost them. Hence my question about when this is to take place.

Oh... I've been putting my food waste in compost bags in the big brown bin (labelled). Every time I've used the small food waste bin, the foxes have got into it and spread the food waste all over the front yard.

ed26 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh... I've been putting my food waste in compost

> bags in the big brown bin (labelled). Every time

> I've used the small food waste bin, the foxes have

> got into it and spread the food waste all over the

> front yard.

Must be clever Foxes. The Garden Caddies have a latch

which needs to be released by pressing down a little lever.

Takes two hands to operate as they are quite stiff.

DulwichFox

Yes, I'm aware. Ours is twisted / deformed so the latch doesn't hold the lid closed. I didn't think much of it as I thought the food waste could go in the garden bin but I'll have to get a replacement.

Yes took our big brown bin I have new food waste larger bin there emptying it fine weekly labelled mine I simply place top my green bin they empty put it back in yard for me.

Garden waste I'd if loved opt of smaller brown bin half size for small gardens.

As I never filled old big brown one.

I shall do bag system for garden waste when have some.

Countrlass22 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes took our big brown bin I have new food waste

> larger bin there emptying it fine weekly labelled

> mine I simply place top my green bin they empty

> put it back in yard for me.

> Garden waste I'd if loved opt of smaller brown bin

> half size for small gardens.

>

> As I never filled old big brown one.

>

I shall do bag system for garden waste when have some.

A few weeks back. Dulwich Library said they had no garden waste bags and would not be getting any more.

They said there was some at Kingswood Library until they run out.

I was told they would be available to buy from Southwark Council but would not be collected

unless you had paid the ?25.00 and had a Brown bin sticker.

You would be able to take the bags to Devon Street.

DulwichFox

I was told they would be available to buy from Southwark Council but would not be collected unless you had paid the ?25.00 and had a Brown bin sticker. You would be able to take the bags to Devon Street.

DF, what you were told is half right - you can now only buy the bags from Southwark, but once you have bought a set you can then book a street collection of the bags when they are full on the Southwark website (or take them to Devon Street yourself as you mention). What Veolia won't now do is collect paper bags that have been left out if you haven't a) paid for them and b) booked a collection. You don't need to have subscribed to the general service or have a sticker.

I'm not sure it's a more efficient system than the old one but it seems to work ok for me so far.

Does anyone else feel like strewing their garden clippings all over the borough of Southwark?

I've paid for my brown bin, but I resent Southwark so much for their nutjob policies of having two brown bins - one for food, one for garden waste - when they aren't splitting the two.

Let's mass rebel and cut our plants back to the branches and strew them across Southwark!

the most recent newsletter from the Dulwich Society [ a reliable source of information ] advises that the intention is indeed to collect the two types of brown bin waste separately --- as I understand it the waste is treated in different ways. This is yet to be organised but is what will happen without further notice.

So we might as well get used to the idea and start putting waste in the appropriate bins.