Londis East Dulwich Road

sjj115

Please be warned I left my three year old son?s scooter in this shop on Thursday afternoon just after 5pm. I forgot it and left it in the shop opposite the counter. About 30 minutes after they put it out the front of the shop. I saw this on their cctv today after requesting to see at the weekend but being told to come back Saturday afternoon and then today.

Basically the shop owner blamed me for leaving it there and said as a parent he would not have left it and he does not keep any thing left behind. We went back in the next day but of course it was not there. I was told the cctv outside of the shop was the house above so I could not see it.

I want to support local shops but this is not reasonable and to be blamed for leaving it there in the first place was not decent or customer minded. I tried to appeal to his empathic side but he could not hear that it was a gift from his only Grandad. I was upset and angry, but now I just feel disappointed in this type of behaviour to a local. I won?t be using the shop again.

So you forgot something and you're trying to generate negative coverage for an independent shop owner for your mistake. The only person thats done something wrong here is you - you left the scooter behind, you made the mistake and you are doing something nasty by blaming an innocent shop owner for your mistake.

I'm sorry you've lost a scooter, but the person to blame here is you, not the shop owner.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If I visit your home and inadvertently leave

> something behind, my scooter perhaps, or my wallet

> or debit card, do you have any duty of care to me?

> If so, how far does it extend?

Big difference between a home and a shop. If the shop has a policy of not keeping left behind stuff then thats the shops call. Its an entirely reasonable thing to do, and I think that in an age when small businesses are struggling to negatively shame them for your own mistake is just not fair.

I agree with the sentiment of others here, you left it behind, your mistake, the shop kept it inside for a reasonable period (30 minutes) then put it outside to be collected.

Sorry to hear someone else took advantage of the situation but as someone who posted on here previously that they are a trainee life coach then you need to practice what you preach and accept the blame for your mistake and not try and deflect the blame on someone else.

ianr Wrote:

> You've not answered my questions.

Because they make no sense? Its a shop, not a house, so the comparison is utterly pointless. The owner made clear his policy that he doesnt keep left behind items, and as such has made clear he has not got a duty of care in this situation. He acted perfectly reasonably in putting it outside for collection.

Wow. Such nasty responses from you people.

If I left something of value in a shop I would be annoyed if they chucked it out front where anyone could take it.

Ianr your analogy doesn't make sense. If I left something at your house, would you throw it outside onto the pavement???

The decent thing to do would be to put it behind the counter. Why could the shop owner not do that? You lot need to stop projecting your whimsical fantasies about darling local shopkeepers onto these people and look at the facts.

And get some empathy.

James Wrote:

> Wow. Such nasty responses from you people.

>

> If I left something of value in a shop I would be

> annoyed if they chucked it out front where anyone

> could take it.

>

> Ianr your analogy doesn't make sense. If I left

> something at your house, would you throw it

> outside onto the pavement???

>

> The decent thing to do would be to put it behind

> the counter. Why could the shop owner not do that?

> You lot need to stop projecting your whimsical

> fantasies about darling local shopkeepers onto

> these people and look at the facts.

>

> And get some empathy.

Why should the shopkeeper do that? I worked in a supermarket when I was young for a few years and the amount of lost property we got was astounding and there was no easy place to keep it. Now if you're a small store with limited space, why should you take up that space with something thats been abandoned in your store. Those scooters are everywhere, and more than you'd imagine probably get lost daily - I'm sure its not the first that has been abandoned.

The shop keeper has no obligation to keep anything, or store anything due to someone elses mistake.

I would be empathetic if the OP had phrased her original post in a way that suggested the fault lay entirely with her, and it was a shame about the loss. But this was phrased as a drive by character assassination of a small store which hasn't done anything wrong. Thats not fair, or appropriate and thats why I'm not sympathetic to the case.

The decent thing to do would be to put it behind the counter. Why could the shop owner not do that?

IT WAS A SCOOTER! Not a purse or a wallet or a handbag or some keys - it was a scooter. Just how much room do you think the average small shop has 'behind the counter'? Or in their aisles? This was causing an obstruction (just by what it was and where it was). Frankly leaving it in the shop would have been to cause a hazard (how easy would it be for someone elderly or infirm, or with a push chair, to navigate round it?)

And shops like this do not have infinite storage space behind the counter or in their very limited stock rooms. Without any idea when it might be called for.

The shop keeper gave it 30 minutes for the OP to return and collect it - not unreasonable I would suggest. For all he knew it was being dumped. After that he put it outside for collection. Not his fault if we are plagued by thieves.

Also weren?t they the shop who had that terrible incident happen with that poor man who was killed recently. By all accounts they were really shaken by that and tried to help him. I get you are upset you lost your belongings but I think you?ve missed the mark publicly shaming an independent business owner. They have a hard enough time. It?s your fault you lost it. He had no duty to look after it hoping you?d come back for it. Have you seen how packed their space is, there is no room to store something like that and also arguably a health and safety issue if someone were to trip over on things laying about.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> The decent thing to do would be to put it behind

> the counter. Why could the shop owner not do that?

>

>

> IT WAS A SCOOTER!

Yeah a child?s scooter, which in my experience is often very precious to a child

Yes it was a mistake that it was left behind, but things get forgotten sometimes

I think that giving it a day or two would?ve been reasonable and kind

Giving it 30 min is very likely to get end up with an upset child, so seems a bit mean

That said, I don?t really see the need to post about it on here, people are a bit mean a lot of the time

AnnaSimmonds Wrote:

> Also weren?t they the shop who had that terrible

> incident happen with that poor man who was killed

> recently.

No, that was a different shop, at the junction of Lordship Lane and East Dulwich Grove.

Diddums. Giving it half an hour was more than reasonable, before putting it out the front. Its a shop, not a dumping ground. Maybe one will take better care of ones possessions in future, and hopefully next time they loose something wont blame and then consequently try to slander a local shopkeepers reputation.

No doubt the OP is the type that lets their little darlings run amok around pubs too, and can probably easily afford another scooter anyway.

Yeah a child?s scooter, which in my experience is often very precious to a child

Yes it was a mistake that it was left behind, but things get forgotten sometimes

I think that giving it a day or two would?ve been reasonable and kind

Giving it 30 min is very likely to get end up with an upset child, so seems a bit mean

The point I was making is that it was a scooter - these (even for small children) are not trivial in size - their footprint is significant, and small traders judge their effectiveness (as do large ones) on sales per sq ft. A scooter takes up at least a couple of square feet, effectively, more if it is lying on the ground. Giving it 30 minutes for a forgetful mum to return to collect it seems more than fair. After that it is causing trouble and costing money. And small traders have far less manoeuvre room than large traders. Granted we are plagued by thieving toe rags but putting it outside the shop (not, for goodness sake, throwing it away) seems a reasonable action. And (if the shop had shut before the owner returned, assuming it wasn't the 24 hour Londis) a potentially helpful one.

Be interesting to see what he'd of done if the person had left/dropped a large quantity of cash in the store, somehow i doubt he'd of put it outside after 10 mins.

Unless the large wedge of cash occupied a couple of square feet I'd guess he'd have had ample space to store it - hence my original comment that it would have been different for a bag, wallet, purse, keys etc. Nobody 'dumps' cash, people do dump unwanted or needed children's toys. Granted this wasn't unwanted, but the store owner didn't necessarily know that. Equally, leaving a scooter outside a store (many people do, or bikes) isn't quite the same thing as leaving a heap of cash!

Penguin68 Wrote:

> A scooter takes up at least a couple of square feet, effectively, more

> if it is lying on the ground.

Guess you missed the lessons at school when they taught others how to calculate area