Dulwich health centre - naming

B&G

Melbourne Grove medical practice and another a merging and a new practice is being built

On the hospital site.

Staff and residents have been asked to come up with a name for it, and now six options are available to vote on.

One option is the Tessa Jowell Health Centre. The same Tessa Jowell who?s husband - whose legal practices lead him to be charged - was given a 4 year sentence for accepting bribes from Burlusconi. A claim he admitted, and subsequently denied. Who on earth thinks of this stuff?

***edited to satisfy someone who read the opening sentence of the David Mills wiki page**

I suspect that it is important that a hospital's name should be clearly understandable and without confusion so that any call to the Fire Brigade will be correctly directed. If the name is too close to another then the appliances may be misdirected. The Brigade should be able to estimate what confusion levels, if any, sit in any of the names that might be chosen.

The same Tessa Jowell who?s husband - a corrupt lawyer - was banged up for accepting bribes from Burlusconi.

From Wiki:- He was accused of money-laundering and alleged tax fraud involving Silvio Berlusconi; he was convicted in first instance and on appeal, but the conviction was quashed by the Supreme Court of Cassation. (my emphasis).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Mills_(solicitor)

Probably that statement made by the OP is thus actionable under English Law. His appeal was based on a statute of limitations defence, but certainly he was never accused of accepting bribes (indeed the question would suggest itself, 'bribed to do what'?)

Anyway, it triggered me to vote for Tessa as choice one.

> Anyway, it triggered me to vote for Tessa as choice one.

I hope that wasn't the intention of the OP, to engineer a sympathy vote.

I won't be voting to have her name used; for reasons nothing at all to do with her husband, her personal life, or with party politics.

The ongoing fad for naming public buildings after the worthy departed is such a bore. I almost feel sorry for Charles de Gaulle, commemorated by one of the most awful major airports of the world. Just say where it is! East Dulwich Health Centre makes so much sense.

"The Moody Health Centre" has a ring to it and I'd never heard of him until I saw that but as I'm in Peckham Rye and am registered at Melbourne Grove and guess I'll still be in the catchment area I'll vote for 'South Southwark Health Centre'

But I'll go with the majority vote :)

bloodoranges Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tessa Jowell gave so much to us, she introduced

> Sure Start, maternity and paternity leave and

> strengthened equal pay laws so I'd say her name

> was a good choice as a whole.

She was an excellent constituency MP, as well.

I voted for East Dulwich Health Centre as being the clearest and most obvious name, but I voted second for Tessa (and third for Moody)

alice Wrote:

> East dulwich medical centre too easily confused

> with dulwich health centre

The DMC sites aren?t exactly confusable with East Dulwich Health Centre. They tend to call themselves by their initials and site name (e.g. DMC Chadwick Road - which seems not to suffer from local confusion, despite not being in Dulwich at all).

alice Wrote:

> My point exactly

Sorry to be dim, but I genuinely don't understand.

I've never heard of Dulwich Health Centre.

Did you mean DMC in Crystal Palace Road?

It never even occurred to me that they could be confused!