Moving to East Dulwich - where to live?

Guest Chris Coulter

Dear friends,

My wife, 14-month old daughter, dog and I will be moving from Toronto to East Dulwich in May and would great appreciate any suggestions on how best to find a house or flat to rent. Is going through a letting agency the best way to do find accomodation? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and can't wait for the move!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

Check out the thread re estate agents in the other section of the forum (wanted / recommended etc) - sorry, my lack of technical expertise with this machine means I am struggling to cut and paste it in for you!

Do you know ED at all? Any pre-requisites for the property / area then maybe we can tell you which streets / areas would suit you.

Most of the agents get their fair share of gripes but here's a few links to estate agents with local rental offices:

http://www.ludlowthompson.com/search/atoz/index.php?error=1

http://www.haart.co.uk/properties/rentalsearch.asp

http://www.winkworth.co.uk/propsearch/searchresult.asp?submitfrom=quicksearch&sSType=rent&sMaxRm=3&sMaxPrc=10000&sArea=se22

http://www.bushells.com/search/results.php?buyorlet=2&price=0&nobed=0&areaID=37&perpage=0&sortby=1&submit.x=63&submit.y=10

As it happens my other half is Canadian and moved over here full time two years ago (so she could translate for you ;-)), I know she'd be pleased to help out if she can. Private mail me with your details if you want to get in touch! She may be able to offer advice on admin, or how to fit in by feigning hang-ups about sex.

Rental fees are around 1000GBP per month for a two bed flat, through to about 1500GBP for a 4 bed house depending on proximity to Lordship Lane etc.

If you've followed any of the other threads you'll already know you've chosen a great place - even our whingers are occasionally charming and will make you feel very welcome! Even EDKiwi may flap his arms at you and make hairdryer noises :))

I'm Canadian as well - from Nova Scotia and would be glad to help translate! ED is great for babies and kids - and easy access to London is fab. Also, you could look in the area of Oglander, Coplestone and Bellenden Roads which are in SE15- slightly cheaper but easy walking distance to Lordship Lane, near East Dulwich station and also you have the benefit of being nearer to Peckham Rye Station as well. Bellenden road area has some nice cafe's and shops - and a fantastic yummy cake shop opened at 157 Bellenden Road on Saturdays 10 -4pm.

Influx of Canadians to East Dulwich! We moved from Toronto in August ourselves. In the end we found our rental through PropertyIn.com (office on the Lordship Lane), but also checked www.findaproperty.com and www.propertyfinder.co.uk frequently before moving. You're welcome to PM me too if you have any expat-Canadian questions! Alie

Antigonish! I was there once for a 4-H provience wide show when I was a teenager. A friend of mine from High School Craig Thurston moved to Antigoish 10 years ago - he is a teacher. I grew up in farm country about 10 miles from Amherst which is near the border to New Brunswick. Nothing of note in Amherst except being the birthplace of Sir Charles Tupper and the famous marshlands. Have been here over 16 years now - go back once a year and visit family and friends in Amherst and in Halifax. Halifax seems to have changed for the better - much more happening there and a great little arts/music scene. Wouldn't go back to live in Nova Scotia though. Winters too cold! (Does your girlfriend laugh when things come to a halt in London because of a few snow furrys?) I do miss Martime hospitality and friendliness though and the ocean of course! 'I'm bound for Nova Scotia the sea bound coast where your moutains dark and deary be, when I am far away on the stormy seas will I ever give a smile and a kiss for thee!' (or something like that!)

Chris Coulter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear friends,

> My wife, 14-month old daughter, dog and I will be

> moving from Toronto to East Dulwich in May and

> would great appreciate any suggestions on how best

> to find a house or flat to rent. Is going through

> a letting agency the best way to do find

> accomodation? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks and can't wait for the move!

> Cheers,

> Chris

We are very overcrowded in ED . Try somewhere else.

Huguenot Wrote:

> Ibo, that was so unpleasant I struggle to believe

> that you can look in your own eyes when you brush

> your teeth :D

There is a three bed house for sale in Hindmans Road for ?500K . He can have that , if he is crazy enough to pay .

dulwichmum Wrote:

> I had a delightful female Canadian flat mate once,

> who swore that all Canadian men wore enormous

> white Y-front underpants. Is this true?

He will need big Y fronts to hold money for a house , if he silly enough to come to ED.

Ibo, considering that you seem to be particulary scratchy about ED / its residents / any change to you / anyone who has ambition etc you appear to be spending a large proportion of your time today griping about it.

Just an observation.

Snorky/Ibo

Are you ever positive about anything? I bet you would moan whether you lived in Southend, South Ken or Southwark.

Or are you just on here to wind people up needlessly?

Michael Wrote:

> Snorky/Ibo

>

> Are you ever positive about anything? I bet you

> would moan whether you lived in Southend, South

> Ken or Southwark.

>

> Or are you just on here to wind people up

> needlessly?

If being postive means allowing the overeducated , overpaid and overhere newcomers to take over an ED community that has taken generations to establish count me out.

I know quite a few less educated (if educated means degree or other paid means of education), underpaid, brilliant people (mostly artists, comedians and the like) in ED and peckham and they love it here. London is a great place because of its diversity. Admittedly a lot of the people that use this site (and that have moved into East Dulwich) are fairly well off, probably white and middle class but does that mean it's ruined the community. No, its just changed like everything does. Everyone I have met in this community (whatever social background) is generally very lovely.

We all live in the same world and one day most of us have experienced being poor or rich (as this is a mind set rather than anything tangible).

Sorry to be so hippie like but hey I love London.

Ibo, I obviously dont know you or or your background, but you talk a line just like the BNP. ie. keep everything as it was and exclude all newcomers. I don't wish to see any community destroyed, but at the same time, I think you are being really nasty and over reacting to the changes in East Dulwich. As I said before, change happens everywhere, in communities, suburbs, workplaces, even in families.

From what I've read of histories posted by ED long term residents, ED had a lot of rough edges, boarded up shops, and so on. The influx of people with a bit more money has helped to regenerate the area. Yes, some of the changes I'm sure are for the worse, but I bet quite a few are for the better too. I think you'd find if you asked long term residents that on the whole, things have changed for the better in many ways.

Anyway, cheer up buddy :-)

What's wrong with being educated anyway?!?!?

I find that the guys I know who have most money to spend, and wear the newest, expensive clothes, tend to be the plumbers, builders and other tradesmen I know (and before I get my head bitten off, I'm not saying that a tradesman/woman is uneducated!).

A lot of the people I know in "middle class" jobs, are always skint... me included!

Education is a VERY BAD thing, Keef. We need to keep as many under-educated, underpaid people (preferably ones filled with 'poor me' self-loathing) right here amongst us. After all, as Ibo says, it has 'taken generations to establish' them. Like Pandas.