Greendale development: Today is the last day to submit comments

I don't think you can know the site or the planning application at all if you think that Greendale is a wood - it's Greendale Fields.

The planning application is to build houses on Dulwich Hamlet Football ground and take over part of Greendale Fields which is open green space, currently freely available to the public for recreational use,

The owners of Dulwich Hamlet Football Ground didn't buy the football ground because they love football - they bought it in order to build houses on it and make a fortune for themselves.

I'm afraid that 'Dog Kennel Hill Woods' (pace the eponymous 'Friends' of the same) are a 'woke' construct - belonging to the same mind set as the notorious 'Wood' Friends that plagued us over Camberwell Old and New Cemeteries. People now believe that strapping 'Wood' to an area gives it a sort of legitimacy which the real place name doesn't - much as 'villages' have been invented all over London to supplant the few real villages already here. Estate agents invent villages, eco-warriors invent woods. In both cases they believe the words add a (spurious) legitimacy to their cases. It doesn't. But it's all part of the 21st Century fake news apparatus.

Ignore the 'wood' element and focus on the real facts, would be my advice. I don't live that close (other end of ED), so have no dog in this fight.

Focussing on the facts, as you suggest @Penguin68...

There's a small woodland to the north of the large Sainsbury's, known as Dog Kennel Hill Wood and it's fab (I recommend a visit - real haven in the city). The clues it's a woodland include the large number of trees hanging out together in one place. The Woodland Trust recognise this means its woodland(https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/wood/41153/dog-kennel-hill-woodlands/), so do Southwark Council (https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parks-and-open-spaces/parks/other-parks-and-gardens?chapter=5). The good news is that it isn't under any threat.

The Friends of Dog Kennel Hill Wood is the Friends Group for this woodland - and they're taking an interest in what's happening in the adjacent Green Dale Fields (where the current Astroturf is).

There's a separate friends group for Green Dale Fields - The Friends of Green Dale. https://www.friendsofgreendale.org.uk/.

For thirty seconds

Anything you can jog through in 30 seconds is not, and never has been, a Wood. It is a copse or thicket. Dog Kennel Hill has never been woodland (which does have a specific meaning), although I am sure there are now parts which are bosky. I am happy to stand corrected but I don't think you will find any references, in any old maps, to that area now being called Dog Kennel Hill ever having had the name 'Wood' attached to it, in whole or in part. You can, of course, call it what you want, but don't then write about it as if you were intending to preserve some ancient bit of nature. It's (in so far as it isn't accidental scrub) a recent, and very small, plantation - no less pleasant for all that, but not, in any meaningful way, a Wood.

Penguin68. Your farcical rant on the naming of DKH wood shades the disturbing truth that DHFC fans (yes, you) seem to be trying to discredit local community groups opposed to the football club's plans to build a new stadium on protected land. You're not strengthening your case as a 'community minded' club.

There is no definition for a size or an age for a wood. Yes it DKH wood is relatively small, about the size of a football pitch in fact, and relatively new. You won't find it on old maps because it self seeded in the seventies. It now has 30m mature trees and is well loved locally.

If questioning the nomenclature is your thing, perhaps you might look closer to home. Dulwich is no longer a hamlet and the club has more obvious immediate suggestible names, such as Dulwich Carwash FC, Dulwich Sainsbury's FC or maybe even Dulwich Developer's Stooges FC?

Protect Green Dale. Object to the planning application.

taper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Or save Dulwich Hamlet FC by replacing the old

> AstroTurf.

As you well know Taper, the application is for much more than replacing the old astroturf. The astroturf in fact only accounts for two thirds of the MOL land grab. The last third being natural wild space, some designated as SINC (site of interest for nature conservation). The application is to develop over 3000m2 of MOL beyond the pitch, which equates to the footprint of 88 houses on the estate next door. Added to this the loss of access and views to the public this application has a devastating affect on the openness of Green Dale.

I also question the wording of your post, that the new stadium is going to 'save' DHFC. Yes, it will get the developers off your back. The developers who a year ago threw DHFC out of Champion hill and tried to copyright the DHFC name and who now you are actively supporting in removing the restrictive covenants on DHFC home ground and building flats across it. Yes, you've been promised a fan owned club in exchange for your support but the club will not be fan owned.

This application is in fact a rerun of the 1992 Sainsbury's application where DHFC is the vocal lever to help swing a massive development on open space in return for a jerry built stadium. This time however the application is already suggesting more MOL will be needed to make the stadium able to take the 5000 visitors FA regs require, and already fans are saying they want covered terracing on the MOL, so this time it will be much quicker than 27 years before the next piece of precious space is under threat.

• 2 weeks later...
As a developer once said to me, they're not making any more land around here. Once developed, Green Dale and Dog Kennel Hill feel completely different. Just as now it's hard to imagine DKH without the enormous Sainsbury's and car park.