Forum Sponsors

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening

Your Local Personal Trainer

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
messageSomewhere to donate good quality clothes and shoes that have been stored
Posted by franki_k August 31, 04:34PM

Hi all

Bit of an odd one, but does anyone know of a charity or shelter that will accept clothing items and accessories that need washing or cleaning before use? I was storing items ready to sell or donate once sorted and it turns out the space had damp.

So now I just want to give everything away to someone who can use, sell or gift it but I dont have time to clean it all up before we move.

Any ideas??

messageRe: Somewhere to donate good quality clothes and shoes that have been stored
Posted by gumshoe August 31, 07:09PM

In my experience, charity shops are unlikely to have the resources to be able to wash clothes - they will typically only have a steamer. It would also be very unhygienic for them to have to process the clothes and would risk contaminating other stock. You’d basically be hoping that staff would be able to do so, which is a bit of an unfair burden - in all likelihood, they would be disposed of.

Have you considered taking them to a laundrette before donating them, that way you can do more industrial quantities of cleaning? That shouldn’t take too long and then you’d know that they would be accepted!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was august 31, 07:12pm by gumshoe.

messageRe: Somewhere to donate good quality clothes and shoes that have been stored
Posted by Sally Eva September 01, 11:23AM

Or put it in a clothes re-cycling bin -- I've been told there's one on North Cross Road

Posted by Soylent Green September 01, 01:57PM

Posted by Sue September 03, 06:10PM

Sally Eva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or put it in a clothes re-cycling bin -- I've been
> told there's one on North Cross Road

I've never seen one on North Cross Road, but there used to be one outside the Mind shop by Goose Green roundabout, don't know if it's still there.

Posted by Nigello September 05, 12:40PM

There is a bin at the library end of Barry Road, just near the pub carpark. (I have no idea how much money from the clothes' sale goes to the charity or even which charity it is.)

Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly September 10, 09:59AM

I believe, Nigello, that that clothes bin is operated by Tvind, a bizarre Danish religious cult. However I haven't checked the label to see if the site has changed hands recently so perhaps I am wrong.

But beware of Tvind, Gaia, Humana or anything with a Danish connection or website.

Posted by LadyDeliah Yesterday, 01:11PM

Hi,
I'm part of a women's group who are organising a convoy to Calais to give to the refugees who have been dispersed across Northern France. They have their belongings regularly confiscated by the police including sleeping bags, tents and clothing so they are in need of regular donations of these things.
If you have anything and would like to donate, in a few days I will be able to give more details of drop off points and exactly what items are needed.
Thanks
Amanda

Posted by BrandNewGuy Yesterday, 02:30PM

Sue Wrote:
> Sally Eva Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Or put it in a clothes re-cycling bin -- I've
> been
> > told there's one on North Cross Road
>
>
> I've never seen one on North Cross Road, but there
> used to be one outside the Mind shop by Goose
> Green roundabout, don't know if it's still there.

There's one on Upland Rd / Hindmans Road next to the corner shop

Posted by franki_k Yesterday, 02:33PM

Brilliant, thank you for the help everyone!
Yes, please let me know where the drop off points are LadyDeliah. I'm sure between these suggestions I can rehome my items

Posted by Sue Yesterday, 08:16PM

BrandNewGuy Wrote:
> Sue Wrote:
> -----
> > Sally Eva Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Or put it in a clothes re-cycling bin -- I've
> > been
> > > told there's one on North Cross Road
> >
> >
> > I've never seen one on North Cross Road, but
> there
> > used to be one outside the Mind shop by Goose
> > Green roundabout, don't know if it's still
> there.
>
> There's one on Upland Rd / Hindmans Road next to
> the corner shop

When I passed that bin the other day, there was a woman going through a huge pile of clothes on the pavement in front of it.

I don't know whether they had overflowed from the bin, or never been put into it, or whether she had pulled them all out of the bin (if that is possible).

I was in a hurry and didn't stop to investigate (didn't feel it was my business anyway).

Posted by Sue Yesterday, 08:19PM

LadyDeliah Wrote:

refugees who have
> been dispersed across Northern France. They have
> their belongings regularly confiscated by the
> police including sleeping bags, tents and clothing

That's appalling.

Whatever happened to human kindness? (Obviously I'm referring to the police and not to people like LadyDeliah who are helping the refugees).

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum