Barry Road closure and buses

Thames water are renewing sewer pipes along Barry Road starting tomorrow (2nd September) A letter was sent out to some local residents a few days ago, but this has not been widely publicised.

Barry Road will be closed one way at the junction with Peckham Rye resulting in no through road to Peckham Rye.

This has had little publicity and the effect is that buses (12 and 197) will be on a one way diversion from Dulwich library, along Lordship Lane to the EDT roundabout , up East Dulwich Road and rejoin the route at the stop opposite where the lido was / is proposed . On the return journey they can still traverse the normal route down Barry road to the library.

Traffic diversions will also be in effect but no information has been given to what and where these are.

The road closure will move up towards the junction of Upland Road over a number of months and Thames Water expect the roadworks to take around 5 months

Little warning has been given to residents about the loss of buses one way down Barry Road (this will effect commuters going to Peckham Rye station and school children getting to school as its the start of term this week) and there is no information in which of the side roads diversions will be on thus adding main road traffic (including heavy lorries abd delivery vehicles) to some of them.

I hope the council and councillors are on this and make roads that are used for diversions temporarily one way to facilitate a reduction in potential grid lock, increased fumes and a higher risk of accidents !

The closure of part of Barry Road has been detailed in the Southwark News for the last 3/4 week although not in last Thursdays. The impression I got was that only one side of the carriage way would be open, temp traffic lights? No indication re bus routes etc.

We saw the diversion signs going up yesterday for 12 and 197 - via lordship lane but no other indications.

Well gosh ,that's helpful

Planned improvements with potential traffic disruption

SE22: PECKHAM RYE

Reference number: MU820-H032/CWST/AH070

What we are doing

We are replacing a water main on PECKHAM RYE as part of our mains replacement programme.

Start Date

2 September 2019

End Date

27 September 2019

Days per week on site

We are currently working here 5 day(s) per week.

Traffic disruption

How we are working to minimise the disruption

Our aim is to minimise any interruption to our service, should we need to interrupt your supply for greater than 4 hours during ?planned works? we will notify all Customer?s via letter drop 48 Hours prior to the shut commencing . Should an unexpected event happen, we will notify the customer (and or where relevant the Retailer) with in 48hrs. Alternative service supply options will be determined on a case by case basis.

If you are a retailer, you can send us your comments below

Add TW Retailer ID

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone know whether a vehicle can turn right at

> bottom of Barry Road ,heading towards Honor Oak ?

Once the closure at the junction of the clock house is in place, I don't think so

Will have to see what diversion is put in place to manage that

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> Anyone know whether a vehicle can turn right at

> bottom of Barry Road ,heading towards Honor Oak ?

Even when the road is open, due to the design of the junction, turning right at bottom on Barry Road is problematic. Traveling to Honor Oak I prefer Dunstans Road where the junction is controlled by lights.

Back in July, I had a letter through the door about a drop-in session which was going to occur while i was on holiday to inform residents of the upcoming work.

It referred to Barry Road and Friern Road, with both being rather long roads i didn't really think much of it.

We received a further letter just last week vaguely outlining the details.

It is going to be 5 months of hell for anyone living near the bottom (north) end of Barry Road.

I called Thames Water for more details as i missed the drop in session, asking for what would have been displayed at the session, they were unable to provide it and the chap said "a little clue for the future, anytime there is a drop-in session it is going to be a big job" !!!

It is basically 5 months of various different lane closures on Peckham Rye and Barry Road between the Clockhouse and Upland Road (Barrys Store), working on a 230m section of sewer pipe.

The Northbound end of Barry Road is now closed to traffic.

Right ,well I limped down there with my bad leg and can confirm

Barry Road closed to North/Peckham bound traffic from Tyrell Rd to T junction with Peckham Rye .

No right turn from Barry Rd into Peckham Rye .

Buses still travelling south up Barry Road with the first bus stop outside estate acents not in use .

Works expected to continue until 25 Oct .

I guess that was all too complicated to put on Thames Water website last night .

long line of traffic from Goose Green Roundabout along ED Road - difficulty for traffic going up LL.

I guess I will have to drive hubby to his GP appointment at The Gardens using the back streets as normally he would bus down there as has problems with walking.

To add to the problems...Bus stop opposite Denmark Hill station is closed, road is dug up. People need to either get off at top of champion hill or at Kings. Great..do they plan this on purpose to cause max disruption given schools starting today and many people return back to work?

wonderwoman Wrote:

> To add to the problems...Bus stop opposite Denmark

> Hill station is closed, road is dug up. People

> need to either get off at top of champion hill or

> at Kings. Great..do they plan this on purpose to

> cause max disruption given schools starting today

> and many people return back to work?

It will be interesting to see if Champion Hill gets reopened.

Or will they ignore the traffic problems this causes.