Forum Sponsors

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
messageStrange Orange dust on Peckham Rye
Posted by Bjork September 06, 09:11AM

Has anyone else noticed weird orange mud/dust on their shoes after walking on the grass on Peckham Rye? Iíve been cutting across the grass to work for the past year but the orange mud is a recent thing, just the last few weeks

messageRe: Strange Orange dust on Peckham Rye
Posted by J27 September 06, 09:38AM

Yes, we get orange feet when we walk the dog in PR Park - we've been wondering why...

Posted by Bjork September 06, 03:50PM

What with this and the plague of frogs mentioned elsewhere it's all looking very 'end of days' in SE22, wonder what it is?

Posted by Humdinger September 06, 04:15PM

I'd wager its all down to that beastly family friendly music festival that was held on Peckham Rye Common back in May.

I'll be using this as ammunition when it rolls around again next year, writing to my MP as i was prevented from walking my dog due to the orange dust.

Posted by TheArtfulDogger September 06, 04:35PM

NASA are secretly filming their their first manned Mars mission on Peckham rye at night by covering it in iron oxide dust and it will be used to fool us all, just like the fake moon landing conspiracy theory

Only to be exposed by a random lump of dog poo mysteriously transported from goose green to "Mars" on the boot of one of the astronauts

You heard it on the EDF first

Posted by DulwichFox September 06, 05:00PM

Could be a sand/dust storm from the Sahara carried over by the recent very hot weather.

Quiet a common phenomenon over the years

DulwichFox

Posted by Penguin68 September 06, 05:07PM

'Lawn sand' is commonly applied to grassy areas to encourage drainage (you would normally spike the lawn as well, using a spiked roller). Is it possible that the grassy areas have been so treated?

Posted by prit September 06, 09:10PM

surely it's the bottles of orange liquid...

Posted by LoulaRose September 06, 09:46PM

Yesterday I came back from Horniman Gardens with orange dust on my shoes. I couldnít work out what is was from....

Posted by Nandalf the Grey September 06, 10:16PM

I had orange dust all over my shoes last week, so did my aunt. They don't put sand on the meadow bits near the back of the Elms, that's where I think we got it.

Posted by tiddles September 07, 07:16AM

This Happens every year so i think it is some sort of fertilser

Posted by lilaclou September 07, 07:37AM

I think itís a common fungal growth that appears in late summer known as Ďlawn rustí

Posted by seenbeen September 07, 01:41PM

yep- lawn rust- this time of year all fungi send out spores
[www.gardeningknowhow.com].

Posted by Houseoflego September 07, 08:28PM

It was in Dulwich park last Sunday too.

Posted by Bjork September 08, 10:45AM

Yay thanks to everyone for their suggestions, looks like lawn rust is the culprit - canít believe Iíd never heard of it before. Shame itís not the Martian dust though...

Posted by PeckhamRose September 10, 08:56PM

Never heard of lawn rust. Can't believe it is the first time this has happened in 36 years of living across the road from the park, and as someone who suffers fungal issues in the lungs, YIKES! Never noticed it before though!

--------------------
Humanist Funeral Celebrant

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum