Assault on Peckham Rye at mid day on Saturday 7th September

On Saturday I was en route to the fete. Suddenly a man attacked me, pushed me to the ground and kicked at my head and in particular my mouth. A kind lady shouted out she was calling the police and another man who was with the attacker shouted ? don?t do that he?s autistic? The attacker then came at me again kicking me further. The police and ambulance were called. I had put my arms over my head so didn?t see the attacker although registered rage in his eyes.I think someone told me he had tried to attack another man but fortunately he had a dog which set on him. I suspect he was mentally unwell and / or on drugs. I was taken to Kings and thankfully my face and skull were only superficially affected but I have lost most of my teeth and my mouth was very sore. I am very shocked. The police told me he had not been caught so he is still wandering around the area. If anyone witnessed this attack, I would be very grateful if you could contact me. A very king lady called Georgie took photos but stupidly I have lost her phone number.Thanks to all those who helped.

Violence associated with adult autism is comparatively rare (that is violence by the autistic person - self-harm and violence to an autistic person is more common). Despite the claim made by the 'companion' I would treat the possibility that this person is autistic with great caution. Certainly no one who witnesses such a terrible assault should not call the police - medium secure psychiatric units are designed to provide treatment to people who are diagnosed with psychiatric problems and cannot contain their violent outbursts. And prisons for those without such an excuse.

https://www.mdedge.com/psychiatry/article/77690/neurology/violent-behavior-autism-spectrum-disorder-it-fact-or-fiction

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27185105

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5980973/

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/challenging-behaviour.aspx

I was randomly attacked mid-afternoon a few years ago, my sympathies with Patricia. Sorry Penguin 68, in practice you do have to call the police.

I wasn't as badly hurt and was able to call the police and follow him - he was unaccompanied. When he was (easily) found he advised that he did have mental health issues, I asked the police if he could be taken straight to a secure unit, their response was that if any mental health process/action was to happen the only way to get this action was to have him arrested, they could not just take him straight to the nearest mental health facility e.g. the Maudsley. Eventually the authority moved him to a different part of the borough as he could in theory attack (me) again.

Sorry Penguin 68, in practice you do have to call the police.

Look at the post again - double negative - I was definitely saying 'call the police'. Certainly no one who witnesses such a terrible assault should not call the police - That is 'anyone who does see ... should call the police'

For anyone to have most of their teeth kicked out in a random attack by a complete stranger is truly horrendous. Whatever the underlying motivation/reasons for the act, the perpetrator is a danger to the public and should be detained as soon as possible.

I hope you are getting all the support you need.

My goodness, so very sorry that you've experienced such a terrifying ordeal, I wish you well with your recovery.

Heartened to hear that kind people came to your aid, and I really hope there were witnesses who can come forward to assist you and the police.

I cant believe no one helped you instead they filmed it on their crappy phones insread of calling the police. plenty of big men around Peckham on Saturdays who probly just watched as if this is an everyday ocurrance.

also pretty shocked that you said you were superficially injured when all your teeth have been kicked out. this should have been on London tonight and wheither the person was a nut makes no difference. this was an awful violent attack and they shouldn't be aloud to get away with it.

also want a disgusting man not getting his friend off you, and trying to excuse the behavior by saying his autistic.

No way was he autistic he was clearly targeting defenceless people.

as if someone who.is autistic called give someone a severe kick in, sounds like a cheap excuse.

what did the attacker look like.

there must be security footage of this.

I?m sorry I haven?t responded. It?s been difficult times and no police officer has been allocated. I have now made a complaint because it is 8 days since the incident. I?m also not good on how to respond. I do want to thank everyone for their kind and sympathetic responses. It?s kindness that?s kept me going. Thank you again. I will feel much better when the police do something

Am I understanding this correctly? This poor person has had her teeth kicked out and no police officer has been allocated for 8 days? What the h*ll? This is GBH with intent and police aren?t responding?

So sorry this has happened Patricia Allen, you will understandably feel very traumatised. I hope you have loved ones caring for you.

This is awful, so sorry to hear it happened to you Patricia and hope you are recovering.

Very worried also that it happened at Peckham Rye - I live right opposite and like to think it?s a safe place to walk around. Have there been any developments in the case? Has anyone taken this to Twitter to get a response?

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So Patricia, you posted a horrendous account now

> you?ve disappeared. Not responding to the kind

> comments above.

I suspect, having been through a very traumatic experience and possibly still undergoing treatment for the injuries sustained,Patricia may not see coming back to update the forum as a priority and I doubt that the people who wished her well did so for her personal thanks!

I do hope you are well Patricia and I hope that now the police are involved and there is a photo, the person can be found and dealt with appropriately. I hope that you are able to continue your day to day life without fear.