Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.no-flies.co.uk

www.inshutters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageOur local police team - Goose Green ward
Posted by bels123 September 12, 12:23AM

The Goose Green ward Safer Neighbourhood Team is a dedicated local police team.

It consists of PC Tibor Fodor, PC Olivia Broughton and PCSO Teresa Kent.

They meet with a ward panel of local residents every couple of months to agree local Police priorities, the next meeting is this Friday at the Picture House, 116 Lordship Lane 7pm.

They also hold regular contact sessions - details are published on Twitter @MPSGooseGreen

To see crime stats for the Goose Green ward visit [www.met.police.uk]. This is also where you can 'voice your concerns' and update the poll with what your 'top 3 issues are'.

messageRe: Our local police team - Goose Green ward
Posted by macutd September 12, 08:07AM

any chance of seeing you walking on the local streets?

Posted by mimifantasia87 September 12, 08:35AM

macutd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> any chance of seeing you walking on the local
> streets?

Thumbs up Macutd

Posted by DulwichFox September 12, 09:30AM

macutd Wrote:
> streets?

The only time you will see Police Officers on the street are at Football Matches and Demos
when there are Hundreds of them. No Police Officer is going to walk our local streets on their own.

Posted by Captain Marvel September 12, 09:47AM

I see them up Lordship. Give them a break

Posted by cella September 12, 09:53AM

DulwichFox Wrote:
> macutd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > any chance of seeing you walking on the local
> > streets?
>
> The only time you will see Police Officers on the
> street are at Football Matches and Demos
> when there are Hundreds of them. No Police Officer
> is going to walk our local streets on their own.

Stop running down our local area !

Posted by El Presidente September 12, 10:09AM

macutd Wrote:
> streets?

Yes much better to have them walking around the streets making us feel better, rather doing boring stuff like trying to solve crimes.

Posted by Sue September 12, 10:34AM

DulwichFox Wrote:

No Police Officer

Oh FFS.

If you think it is so unsafe round here, why don't you do us all a favour and move somewhere else, instead of constantly posting these ridiculous statements on here.

Posted by se22cat September 12, 11:10AM

Maybe we should ask Sgt Kabukiman to join the team?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by macutd September 12, 12:48PM

I'm not putting down our area. I just honestly believe the area would benefit from police patrolling the area on foot.

Posted by sheff September 12, 01:13PM

Maybe if your beloved Millwall contributed more than £15k to their £623k policing bill each year we'd have more walking the beat.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> The only time you will see Police Officers on the
> street are at Football Matches and Demos
> when there are Hundreds of them. No Police Officer

Posted by stepdown September 12, 01:18PM

I wouldn't waste your time, from that profile [www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk] :

>This user doesn't exist or has been deactivated.

Posted by ed26 September 12, 02:06PM

For the record, I see them quite frequently walking up East Dulwich Road when I'm with the kids at the playground (weekday mornings, usually).

It's very easy to suggest that the police are not visible, but they can't be out patrolling 24/7. If you don't see them during the 10-min walk to the station in the morning or back in the evening, it doesn't mean they aren't out there. Even if you spend a couple of hours shopping on Lordship Lane every day, there's another 8-10 daytime hours when they may be patrolling.

Posted by seenbeen September 12, 04:22PM

Captain Marvel Wrote:
> I see them up Lordship. Give them a break

Yes- there was one in Townley walking towards Lordship Lane last week in the mid morning , and on his own...I don't blame them for not being on the streets given the awful recent assaults and the attitude of some people

Posted by rch September 12, 04:49PM

Bear in mind that we now only have half the number of local officers than we used to have... just two PCs and one PCSO. They sometimes patrol on bicycles so that they can cover more of the ward, but this means that they are not as visible.

But, I agree that it would reassure residents more if our local officers were seen more often on Lordship Lane on foot.

What time of day do you guys think would be more high profile? Maybe between 3-5pm when most people are doing their shopping?

--------------------
Robin
Twitter: @ex_cllr_rch

Posted by rch September 12, 05:01PM

Also, now that the former Maudsley offices at 20-22 Lordship Lane (by Goose Green Roundabout) are being converted into a community hub with workshops and pop up shops, there is a possibility that a private room in the back of the building could be provided for police officers and also council officers (i.e. housing, park managers, wardens and other departments) to use to take breaks and catch up with paperwork and emails while they are in the area, rather than hiking back to Peckham or Tooley Street on foot or by bus and then back to Goose Green ward again.

This would mean that police would save a lot of time travelling and therefore could spend more time on the local streets. They could also arrange meetings with residents in the meeting rooms that would be available.

Would residents support this possibility?

--------------------
Robin

Posted by first mate September 12, 05:58PM

Great idea.

Posted by Countrlass22 September 12, 10:34PM

Walked past Bobby on beat this afternoon in Melbourne Grove Ed area gave him a hello, kinda lost my voice so didn't hear me.
Was nice to see granted I'm not out community often.
So couldn't say if see them often or not.
Hear see there helicopters regularly though and cars usally when in hurry.
Feel sad lack budget they get.

Posted by singalto September 12, 11:11PM

I saw a police officer near ED station at school chucking out time yesterday. He just watched as dozen of children ran across the road dodging cars..

Posted by Pugwash September 12, 11:38PM

Dulwich Hill ward covers from Crystal Palace Road upto Dawsons Heights, Barry Road (part) Piermont Green and up Forest Hill Road. Since the officers are based at Gypsy Hill they face a long walk or cycle ride before they get to ED.

Posted by goldilocks September 13, 07:10AM

Not really sure what you were hoping he would do here - a) logistically it would have been difficult to stop it and b) last time i checked, abject stupidity wasn't a crime!

singalto Wrote:
> I saw a police officer near ED station at school
> chucking out time yesterday. He just watched as
> dozen of children ran across the road dodging
> cars..

Posted by singalto September 13, 08:51AM

Goldilocks, a quick word with the children, maybe? Running through moving traffic is not just putting them at risk of an accident but also the drivers. If he canít do anything, why be there at all?

Posted by Captain Marvel September 13, 08:59AM

People's expectations are nuts. He's a copper not a frigging sheepdog

Posted by bels123 September 13, 12:13PM

What do you think our local Goose Green teamís top 3 priorities should be? Please vote here [www.met.police.uk]

Posted by redjam September 13, 01:26PM

Don't want to derail the thread but could you tell us more about this, RCH? When is this happening? I'll be very happy to see the space being used more productively as it's such a prime spot and I've literally never seen anyone go in or out of the existing building. What's the plan for shops? Is the frontage going to be improved at all?

And yes, to answer your question, seems like a great idea for police to have an office there if that is what they need.

rch Wrote:
> Also, now that the former Maudsley offices at
> 20-22 Lordship Lane (by Goose Green Roundabout)
> are being converted into a community hub with
> workshops and pop up shops, there is a possibility
> that a private room in the back of the building
> could be provided for police officers and also
> council officers (i.e. housing, park managers,
> wardens and other departments) to use to take
> breaks and catch up with paperwork and emails
> while they are in the area, rather than hiking
> back to Peckham or Tooley Street on foot or by bus
> and then back to Goose Green ward again.
>
> This would mean that police would save a lot of
> time travelling and therefore could spend more
> time on the local streets. They could also arrange
> meetings with residents in the meeting rooms that
> would be available.
>
> Would residents support this possibility?

Posted by rch September 13, 01:28PM

Thanks for the support, first mate. I'll stay in touch on progress, as we may need residents to lobby councillors.

Also, Pugwash... my idea was that Goose Green SNT, Village SNT, and Champion Hill SNT would be able to use the community hub as a rest stop, but it may be possible for Dulwich Hill to access it as well, as the buses down the Lordship Lane axis are more convenient that the rubbish bus services running east-west.

I'm aware that the Gypsy Hill location is useful for Dulwich Wood SNT, but not great for some of the other teams.

Therefore, we definitely need some kind of stepping stone to fill the gap between Peckham and Gypsy Hill. I understand budget cuts, but there are sometimes more creative ways of addressing issues. We all just need to stick together!

--------------------
Robin

Posted by rch September 13, 01:44PM

Hi redjam, we just overlapped posts...

I've been lobbying for this multi-use community hub concept at the Maudsley site for several years now, as the last thing we need is more empty shops and community hubs tend to increase footfall on high streets. Just after the last election, I hounded the current councillors who have now had this idea approved by the council. The space has recently been leased to a group called Oru Spaces, who are in the process of upgrading and converting all three floors into meeting rooms, mini offices, pop up start-up business facilities and have agreed to consider a private police/council officer rest stop.

There's been one drop in consultation, which I attended and there will be a better publicised drop in soon.

I'm now in the process of liaising with Oru, police teams, and councillors with the view of creating the police room in the back of the property so that they can have privacy and also so that the users of the public spaces have priority. Therefore, the support of the local residents is going to become crucial to having this agreed in addition to the other community spaces.

Looking at the building works being done, I'm assuming that the hub will open early next year? I've recommended that Oru posts on the EDF once they have a better idea of timing, etc, while I will focus on the police room aspect.

--------------------
Robin

Posted by rch September 13, 01:47PM

It would still be useful to know what time you all think the police should patrol Lordship Lane? I will try to attend the police meeting tonight and will request that High Visibility Ward Patrols are listed as a priority.

--------------------
Robin

Posted by PeckhamRose September 13, 01:48PM

The Nunhead and Peckham Rye SNT also have meetings and they said they would advertise a bit more their meetings on the What's On section. We really all should try and attend Safer NeighbourHood Team Meetings because it benefits all of us and we are the people they need feedback from. I was sad to see no SNT police stand at the Fete though, just six grumpy silent police from the roads and highways team, I believe, trying really hard not to engage with or be engaged by anyone at all.

--------------------
Humanist Funeral Celebrant

Posted by ed_pete September 13, 01:54PM

Patrolling Lordship Lane is not very useful at any time of day. Seems to me that most of the crimes reported on this forum take place on side roads and back roads. I imagine the SNT have this information already and so if would be better placed putting it to use.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum