Forum Sponsors

www.eastdulwichcarpetcleaning.co.uk

https://www.gokayfitness.com/class

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Our local police team - Goose Green ward
Posted by bels123 13 September, 2019 14:12

The panel tonight will set the top 3 priorities of the local team for the next 8 weeks, they're currently burglary, shoplifting and increasing community engagement (which goes to the point about being more visible and recognised).

Do you agree these are the right priorities? Vote here to have your say or come to the meeting this evening to discuss more [www.met.police.uk]

Posted by rch 13 September, 2019 14:23

Yes, you're right ed_pete... the police do know which back and side roads to patrol, but we need to find a way for local residents to be reassured and report issues more easily. Part of the problem with Goose Green Ward is that it looks like nothing is happening around here because people tend not to report, so extra resources are diverted to other local wards.

Our new SNT team are really good at communicating, we just need to find a way for the public to interact with them more easily.

--------------------
Robin
Twitter: @ex_cllr_rch

Posted by singalto 13 September, 2019 20:59

Residents can attend these panel meetings and see what is happening and to raise any concerns they might have..

Posted by DulwichFox 16 September, 2019 18:57

Because of my concerns about Crime in the area I attended the Recent Goose Green ward Safer Neighbourhood Team meeting at the Picture House last Friday,

The team consists of PC Tibor Fodor, PC Olivia Broughton and PCSO Teresa Kent.

Also in attendace was Former Ward Councillor, now Community Activist Robin Cruickshank
who recognised me as a local campaigner from the Silvester road post office sorting office protest.

I exchanged contact details with PC Fodor (Peckham Police) and will be kept up tp date from his office by e-mail.

We discussed in some detail Burglary, shop lifting, increasing engagment and the increase in Drug Dealing in the area.

I have been invited to attend further meetings and to encourage more residents to come along through the EDF

I believe the next meeting will be on 6th November and a venue is yet to be decided.
The last meeting at the Picture house was outside and as it got dark there was no working lighting
and it got cold.

It would be good to see more local residents at the next meeting. I was the only non-official resident attending.
One of the items discussed not on the agenda was Theft from Bins and the risk Identity theft

Please do come along. Your views and concerns will be noted.

DulwichFox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:12:09:08:41:20 by DulwichFox.

Posted by Cora 16 September, 2019 19:29

Will keep an eye out for confirmation of the date....

I agree, a real target for brazen supermarket shoplifting and increase in drug activity...

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Posted by singalto 16 September, 2019 22:07

I also attended the meeting..

Posted by DulwichFox 17 September, 2019 10:48

singalto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also attended the meeting..

There were only 7 of us present, around a table , which one was you ?
Were you the guy taking Minutes ? I never caught his name.

DulwichFox

Posted by Humdinger 17 September, 2019 11:07

Wheres the 'increase in drug dealing' in the area? I never notice any drug dealing in the area, and i have a very observant eye.

Not saying it doesnt go on, but i doubt its an escalating problem that needs addressing, over something like car crime, for example.

Posted by bels123 17 September, 2019 13:17

We’ll issue a summary of the minutes shortly to update here. Without wanting to contradict the earlier post I think it’s important to clarify that ‘an increase in drug dealing’ wasn’t discussed - but fair to say drug dealing was, in terms of issues that local residents wanted to raise to the local Police.

Posted by rch 25 September, 2019 14:48

Just saying hi to DulwichFox and singalto... it's great to actually be able to talk to everyone in person!

FYI, I made a special request to the local police to patrol on Lordship Lane more visibly, as per the discussion above. So can someone post on this thread when they see our officers out and about?

Also, I was intrigued by Cora's comments above... so now I'm curious as to what the EDF users think are causing the most problems in Goose Green ward?

--------------------
Robin

Posted by seenbeen 25 September, 2019 19:44

Was on holiday this time but will look out for the next one

Posted by rch 26 September, 2019 12:54

Look forward to meeting you, seenbeen! Am slowly working my way through all the forum pseudonyms...

Out of curiosity, what do you think are the three biggest crime issues in the ward? You don't need to give personal information, am just curious about residents' general observations...

--------------------
Robin

Posted by rch 26 September, 2019 13:17

I know you were being ironic, Humdinger, but you set me off on a really productive train of thought...

The reason why a pint of beer is so expensive is because Lordship Lane has been designated a "Destination Area" as the variety of shops has grown over the years. This means that more people come from out of the area to shop in addition to the local residents, which increases footfall.

The increase in footfall in turn has a effect on the increasing annual shop rental amounts, which in turn increases the business rates, whereupon the council benefits from the increased amount of business rate income.

So, the price of a pint inevitably goes up to cover the increase in rental costs and business rates.

HOWEVER...

In other parts of the borough, the council allocates funds to improve the local high street, but we don't get very much support down here in Lordship Lane. There are measures that the council can take to address crime in Lordship and even make simple improvements such as upgrading the pavements and street lights.

There is also a council fee on property developments, known as CIL or Section 106, which is collected in the Dulwich area, but redirected to make improvements in the middle and the north of the borough.

There used to be a local Dulwich CIL priority list, which listed a new local police office on Lordship Lane as a top community priority request, but I'm sure this is now buried.

Therefore, since you're now having to pay higher prices for a pint of beer, I have decided to lobby the council to allocate a proportion of the Lordship Lane business rate income and CIL payments to contribute to the creation of a local SNT Police Office within the new 20 Lordship Lane meeting room redevelopment.

I therefore request that you drink as much beer as possible on Lordship Lane...!

--------------------
Robin

Posted by Sue 26 September, 2019 17:45

big grin

Posted by redjam 27 September, 2019 13:47

Thanks for the update on the Maudsley site, rch, sounds like a great initiative.

Posted by DulwichFox 21 November, 2019 09:54

Dear all,

I have been advised about the Next Safer Neighbourhood Panel meeting -

This will take place Wed 11th December 7pm at the Dulwich Picturehouse

Please do come along and share any concerns about the local area and community.
Some members of the Police Team have moved on and new officers will be joining us.
A chance for you to meet them.

DulwichFox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:12:09:08:34:58 by DulwichFox.

Posted by bels123 21 November, 2019 11:49

In addition to the above panel meeting, the local Goose Green ward Neighbourhood Police team have also confirmed the below dates on Twitter @MPSGooseGreen for their regular contact sessions - pop in to Grove Vale Library to meet them and discuss any concerns / ask questions. First one is tomorrow.

22/11/2019 @ 3pm

29/11/2019 @ 4pm

06/12/2019 @ 1pm

10/12/2019 @ 1pm

17/12/2019 @ 1pm

03/01/2020 @ 4pm

10/01/2020 @ 1pm

17/01/2020 @ 1pm

Posted by DulwichFox 07 December, 2019 18:00

Just a Reminder that the Next Safer Neighbourhood Panel Meeting
is this coming Wednesday 11th December.

Dulwich Picture House 7.00pm

Look forward to seeing you there.

DulwichFox

Posted by bels123 12 December, 2019 14:42

Thanks to everyone who came to last night's meeting.

PC Fodor gave an update on the main areas of crime in our ward, here are my brief notes:

Burglary - reduced Sep-Nov compared to last year, the Neighbourhood team have done lots of high vis patrols, leaflet distribution and follow up advice

Theft - Shoplifting & bag theft are the main issues. Neighbourhood team has been working with local pubs / traders to maintain a high level of CCTV, make customers aware of bag thieves & encourage reporting of shoplifting.

Vehicle offences - catalytic convertor theft from hybrids is an issue, as in other wards. Advice is to park in a well lit area as close to your property as possible, use a catalytic convertor protection device or marking system.

Robberies - targeted operation has reduced secondary school children being targeted in order to steal their mobile phones. Neighbourhood team are continuing to patrol to focus on this.

The meeting also hears from any residents who wish to raise concerns, interestingly most were to do with vehicles speeding locally - Crawthew Grove (wrong way down one-way), Fellbrigg, Ulverscroft, ED Grove, Townley & ED Road all highlighted and will be passed to the Safer Transport Team for further consideration. Community Speedwatch was also mentioned and there was interest in setting this up locally.

Please follow @MPSGooseGreen on Twitter, or see Nextdoor for updates.

Posted by DulwichFox 12 December, 2019 15:19

Was a good meeting. Good to meet our new Police team

Thank you bels123 for the update.

Posted by rch 13 December, 2019 11:21

I was one of the original Community Roadwatch coordinators in the East Dulwich area, but the political machinations got so frustrating that I gave up approx a year ago.

There are ways of contacting the appointed Roadwatch police teams directly but, according to the TfL website, the best way to start from scratch again is to email CommunityRoadwatch@met.police.uk

--------------------
Robin

Posted by bels123 16 December, 2019 20:51

Copying a tweet from Goose Green’s Safer Neighbourhood Police Team...(see Twitter @MPSgoosegreen)

Reminder: SNT GOOSE GREEN contact session on 17DEC 19 at 1 PM @ GROVE VALE LIBRARY, please come along and speak to us.

Posted by bels123 January 04, 02:13PM

The next contact session held by Goose Green ward's neighbourhood police team is Thursday 9th Jan 1pm at Grove Vale Library. Please pop in to meet the new officers and discuss any crime concerns.

Posted by DulwichFox January 07, 04:57PM

Next GOOSE GREEN SNT WARD PANEL MEETING

Date: Thursday 12 MARCH 2020 Time: 19:00 - 20:30 Place: East Dulwich Picture house, 116a Lordship Lane SE22 8HD

Posted by EDNate January 10, 12:13PM

Don't have time to attend this meeting.

How about some action / recognition of the criminal gang operating on Upland / Friern road where multiple family 4 x 4s have been stolen just this week.

Posted by bels123 January 10, 07:36PM

EDNate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't have time to attend this meeting.
>
> How about some action / recognition of the
> criminal gang operating on Upland / Friern road
> where multiple family 4 x 4s have been stolen just
> this week.

Those roads come under the Dulwich Hill ward, not Goose Green - for more info re ward boundaries see here
[s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com]

For details on Dulwich Hill ward’s Safer neighbourhood Police team see [www.met.police.uk] or @MPSDulwichHill on Twitter

Posted by bels123 February 02, 09:48PM

Please see below update from the Goose Green Safer Neighbourhood team in relation to the high number of car break-ins recently - they've asked me to help get the message out that if you see people acting suspiciously around cars, please call 999 and don't leave anything valuable in car / on show.

----------
Please be aware the recent theft from vehicle crime in our area. We have increased our foot & mobile patrols in the ward. We are in patrol both in plain clothes and uniform. Please report any suspicious behaviour. Here is some crime prevention advice for your reference:

How to keep your vehicle safe and sound

Having your car broken into and losing your things to thieves can be very distressing. Here are a few simple steps you can take to keep your vehicle, and what’s in it, safe.

1. Always lock it

Fuelling up or popping back into your house to get something are perfect examples of how easy it is to turn your back for a moment and forget your vehicle is unsecured. So get into the habit of locking your vehicle even if you’re only going to be away from it for a moment.

2. Close windows and the sun roof to prevent ‘fishing’

Leaving windows and the sunroof open invites fishing for items through the gap by hand or with, say, a bent coat hanger, which could also be used to unlock a door for them to get in. Thieves can be ingenious. Don’t give them the opportunity.

3. Secure your number plates with tamper-resistant screws

The easiest way to change the identity of a stolen vehicle or avoid speeding tickets and parking tickets is to fit stolen number plates. Using security screws to attach your vehicle’s number plates makes it harder for thieves to get your number.

4. Fit locking, anti-tamper wheel nuts to secure alloy wheels

Stolen wheels are valuable, either as parts or for their scrap value. Using locking wheel nuts reduces the risk of your vehicle’s wheels being stolen.

5. Secure anything that’s on the outside of your vehicle

Anything left on roof-racks, tailgate racks, holiday top boxes or in tool chests are easily stolen when the vehicle is parked. The use of cable locks, padlocks and self-locking tools chests, which are secured to the vehicle, makes them more secure, but still, don’t leave things in them if you can avoid it. For further information and advice, visit Sold SecureExternal Link.

6. Take it with you or hide it

Your mobile phone, coins for the car park, sunglasses, packs of medication or other items that can earn quick cash are irresistible to the opportunist thief. Remember, the cost of replacing a window is often much more than that of what’s stolen. And it should go without saying that wallets, handbags, purses and credit cards should never be left in an unattended vehicle.

7. Hide electrical items and leave no clues

Leaving sat nav mounts, suction cup marks on windows or cables on view gives it away that you have left a Sat Nav, smartphone or other device in your car. Even if they can’t see the Sat Nav or iPad they might still break in to see if it’s stored in the car, out of sight.

8. Tool theft from vans

Vans are often targeted by thieves for the tools stored inside. If you have to leave tools in a van overnight, it's a good idea to mark them clearly with your name / company name and address using paint pens and seal with a clear lacquer spray. Alternatively, you can use a variety of other property marking systems. Items that are clearly marked are less desirable and more difficult to sell on.

Consider using a lockable cabinet within your van to store tools – a number of security rated products are available. Small cameras are also designed to record inside vehicles. You can also take photographs of items of value, make a note of the serial numbers and consider registering them online at a property register site.

9. Park in well-lit and busier areas

It can take less than 30 seconds to break into a vehicle. Parking in well-lit areas and busy streets increases the chances of a thief being seen, so they’ll probably steer clear.

10. Take your documents with you

Having a vehicle’s registration and insurance documents could let a thief pretend to be the owner. Which means they could sell it on quite easily. So, never leave any documents in the vehicle.

11. Choose your car park wisely

If possible, always try to park in well-lit and staffed car parks or those with a Park Mark safer parking award. To find one, simply check out Park Mark.

Catalytic converter theft

The precious metal in catalytic converters has led to an increase in their theft. To keep yours safe, ask your car dealer if they can give you any advice on locks or guards that are approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

Alternatively, try to make sure your vehicle is parked in a garage overnight, or if you have a commercial vehicle park it in a secure compound. If this isn’t possible, park in an area that’s well-lit and overlooked and try to park so that the convertor can’t be easily reached by potential thieves. Vehicles that sit high above the road are particularly vulnerable.

You should also register your converter and mark it with a forensic marker, which will make it harder for thieves to dispose of.

Posted by Spartacus February 08, 11:29AM

Great advice Bels123, but what proactive measures are being taken by the local and response police teams to catch the person smashing car windows ?

Advice is fine but it now seems to be a mini crime wave that needs urgent action to solve !

Also is it specific to one ward or is it occurring in neighbouring wards which requires more coordination between teams ?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum