Great Exhibition Pub Crystal palace road

NewWave

Walking by today I noticed that there was scaffolding outside what appeared to be building work going on within.

As I rarely walk down this end of the road I was unaware the pub had closed-We used to like this place a lot but haven't been for a couple of years mainly due to it being really noisy (dj) and packed last couple of times we went wanting a nice quiet drink.

Has it closed down? what is taking its place? or is it just a renovation? Its one of the few pubs with a lovely traditional interior in the area-the other being the dog but we stopped going there too due the appalling service the half dozen times we went post refurb.

Whats the prices like in this pub? expensive, like most of the others in ED? i really dont agree with paying ?5+ a pint.

I suppoose this question might be a bit pointless anyway, after a refurb pubs normally bump their prices up so even if it was reasonable before its probably not going to be when it reopens.

franki_k Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's always been pretty pricey, Humdinger,

> particularly on the food front...

And the standard of food has been very variable since the pub reopened as The Great Exhibition, ranging from excellent to crap, presumably depending on the chef ......

Humdinger Wrote:

> Whats the prices like in this pub? expensive, like

> most of the others in ED? i really dont agree with

> paying ?5+ a pint.

>

> I suppoose this question might be a bit pointless

> anyway, after a refurb pubs normally bump their

> prices up so even if it was reasonable before its

> probably not going to be when it reopens.

It's 5 a pint

But I'm paying 6 in some pubs nearer work.

The ?5 Brick Brewery Pale at Dulwich Hamlet will be on keg, as will Goose Island at ?5.80. Keg beer is considerably more expensive anywhere you go. Cask beer is cheaper and I'd be surprised if anywhere around here charges ?5 for cask. The Beer Shop in Nunhead often sells it for under ?4.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> reds Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Keg beer is considerably more expensive anywhere

> you go.

>

> Yep. But word has it that this is only partially

> due to actual costs... and partially because of

> customer expectations.

Agree. Pubs are also prepared to pay more for keg as it lasts longer and it takes zero skill to keep it in good condition.

Well kept cask always beats keg for me and it amazes me that so many people are prepared to pay ?1.50-?2 more for the keg version. I suppose keg is trendy but most people wouldn't know the difference.

reds Wrote:

> most people wouldn't know the difference.

This is where I disagree... I think the same beer in keg and cask is totally different. For instance, Thornbridge beers widely available in both. I'm not sure if it is the carbonation and temperature which are influencing the tastebuds, or something more intrinsic (the ongoing fermentation process in the cask?), or probably both.

I'm generally happy drinking cask ale. It's cheaper, lower carbonation (= better for a session), and I like the fact that it's a traditional, uniquely British, often artisanal product. But in all honesty if you want to try something different or innovative, most of the time it's going to be keg or bottle/can.

Angelina Wrote:

> ?5 for a coke in the pub in the village

That's the one that really, really annoys me. Charging as much for soft drinks (syrup concentrate diluted with carbonated water at point of sale) as they do for beer is outrageous. Especially if you go out to a country pub or something, it feels like you're being penalised for not drink driving!