CPZ announced

Sporthuntor

Sporthuntor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So as expected here comes the CPZ...surprise

> factor = 0 after the super biased consultation!

>

>

> https://www.southwark.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/r

> oadworks-and-highway-improvements/traffic-manageme

> nt-orders?chapter=5

Looking forward to it's implementation, can see the increased parking since the schools have been back

tiddles Wrote:

> hmmm not exactly surprised - they are desperate to

> do the whole area....no matter what the people who

> live here (and pay the council tax) want.

Point is it's just a stealth council tax increase for car owners...

Money from it can be used for road related things instead of out of the general budget.

Despite UK taxpayers already owning the roads....

It's a scandal, if the council want to charge us for parking on our own roads, they should refund any profit against our council tax.

If the cpz is for legitimate parking reasons why not refund the profit to us?

green ranger Wrote:

> Maybe Southwark will use the cash from car parking

> charges to fund better cycling facilities - like

> Bike Parks and dedicated cycle lanes

>

> Win Win!!!

I live in Cloud cuckoo land at times, but sadly even I can't believe they will use the cash for anything sensible like that, more likely more humps, traffic lights or enforcement cars ...

Would probably be ideal if people read the docs before posting about them, otherwise you'll all whip yourselves up into mass hysteria. Forest Hill road isn't within the CPZ - the TMO there is something to do with crossings!

The CPZ area was dramatically reduced to reflect the responses to the consultation. There will obviously be people living within who voted against, and people outside who don't want anyone to have a CPZ at all, however thought it was worth re flagging that the CPZ is going to be the smaller area around East Dulwich Grove and the station, rather than the wider initial area towards Lordship Lane first proposed.

dbboy Wrote:

> Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

>

> On roads such as Forest Hill Road, I can see

> delays, traffic backing up, increased pollution

> and of course prolonged journey times. Thanks

> Southwark

Councellor James Barber - you?re a sensible bloke...

It's James Cash who is now the Goose Green Ward councilor ... James Barber, who still usefully contributes to the forum - lost his seat - and was a supporter of CPZs when in power, although only (I think) where a true majority desired them.

I'm interested that as far as I can see the idea of a limited time CPZ (which did gain some support in some places) seems to have been dropped in favour of an all-day one across the board (unless I've missed something) - much more lucrative of course, and much less sensitive to the needs of traders in LL and environs. But then, who cares about commerce or the people's will when you can soak car owners? And I can't see, in a cursory reading, any options for traders and businesses in the zone to apply for parking rights. [i would be very happy to be corrected on both these above points].

There are some issues with the documents online apparently - we got an email saying there would be an update and all docs would be available by Monday.

Traders and businesses in the zone can apply for a business permit where their vehicle is required for their business.

Again - the roads bordering Lordship Lane that were originally included have been taken out of the finalised zone, the parking bays on Melbourne outside the shops are being retained so unlikely to be any difference in availability of customer parking!

Again - the roads bordering Lordship Lane that were originally included have been taken out of the finalised zone

Actually, I think, 'which were originally part of a wide ranging proposal which was opened up for public consultation and which were widely opposed by local people' would be slightly more accurate - they never formed part of the final proposal drawn up after the consultation and put to the council for decision. And that proposal suggested much more limited (2 hour ban) time of operation for all roads save those adjacent to ED station and close to the hospital site. Again, happy to be corrected, but I think that was has now been agreed is more draconian in some aspects than had been anticipated.

Im outside this zone, but when i have visitors there is always a space or two in my road for them to park. Being just off the Lordship Lane where all the shops etc are, and near to the station, no doubt this will no longer be the case as people will simply just park in roads like mine now, rather than pay for to park on the other side of LL. Whats the effing point?

I'm for it. Zone Q has made it a massive pain to park on my road with all the displacement.

Interestingly though, how much does it cost?

"the sum of one hundred and five pounds (?125.00) in respect of a permit which,

subject to the provisions of this order, shall be valid for a period of twelve months

commencing from the beginning of the month in which the permit first became valid;"

so is it ?125 or ?105?

Can we get some segregated cycle routes? Would do a lot more to cut down on congestion than this nonsense. I cycle to King's Cross every day and by far the worst part of my route is Crystal Palace Road and Peckham. Mind you, that would upset car drivers and reduce parking, so never going to happen. Healthy streets my $*&?^

Read the Southwark spine docs in the same place rahrah.

Parking in crystal palace road is about to get very difficult with masses of new double yellows and also a new zebra crossing adding 20 metres or so of no parking, so I'm afraid you will face more congestion on that stretch in rush hour, but there will be a segregated lane from Bellenden (more congestion there too no doubt on the yet narrower configuration).

Thanks Abe, just looked at that. Some of it looks great, some of it is vague. A better crossing between Kelly Avenue and Lyndhurst Way will be great (although I guess it depends on how they actually configure this).

Also great to see segregated cycle lane on Flint Street.

Crystal Palace Road is a problem though. It is narrow and cars have only a few points where they can safely overtake bike. Unfortunately some drivers get very frustrated and make close passes, or worse, misjudge their overtake into oncoming traffic and realising there isn't room, pull back in against cyclists. I hate cycling up this road from Goose Green.

Anyway, off topic. As you were.

I understand from a very good friend who lives in Lewisham, that Lewisham Council are also proposing the implementation of a CPZ.

I am told that Lewisham Council is being taken to court, by a resident or residents, claiming this action is illegal.

Lewisham Council have suspended the implementation of the CPZ until they have a definitive ruling from the court.

Humdinger Wrote:

> Im outside this zone, but when i have visitors

> there is always a space or two in my road for them

> to park. Being just off the Lordship Lane where

> all the shops etc are, and near to the station, no

> doubt this will no longer be the case as people

> will simply just park in roads like mine now,

> rather than pay for to park on the other side of

> LL. Whats the effing point?

The point is money for council coffers. Whatever reason they dress it up with that is the real motive. They have used every trick in the book to reduce parking in order to push through CPZ. Even the introduction of an all day ban on parking in CPZ areas, rather than the time limited option preferred by most, is probably to place maximum pressure on non CPZ streets and ensure CPZ creep.

The apparent concessions in reducing the CPZ zone for now are, in my view, a cynical ploy to help the local Labour councillor and Southwark look receptive. In reality it is a long game. We all know that full CPZ is inevitable because of parking pressure created systematically and quite deliberately by Southwark Council.