FAO Renata tree planting

lilaclou

Hello Renata,

Earlier in the summer a car crashed into a tree on the corner of Stuart road and Cheltenham Road killing the tree. So far, no tree has been planted to replace it. This area is a pedestrianised triangle. Moreover, due to it being at a distance from housing (to avoid subsidence), there is ample room for more trees in this space. Currently, with the increasing awareness of climate change and the value of tree planting as part of tackling the process, I wonder when/if this could be remedied. In case you are wondering I have informed Southwark Council and the tree planting department. However, there has been no action or information.

If you want to contact Ms Hamvas (who with other current and former councilors does use this forum, but not obsessively) try contacting her directly - a general post such as this may well not be picked up by her for some time if at all (particularly if it drops down the 'pecking order'). As a councilor her contact details are readily available.

Quite right Lilaclou - Climate change is something that already affects millions of human beings and is a critical problem getting worse! Little changes like this can contribute - rather than inaction - so thank you for trying to do something! Renata can be contacted directly on http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=905 in case you haven't tried this option already.

Hi Lilaclou, (and other posters)

Thank you for your message. As other posters have said, It tends to get to me faster if you email me rather than post on here. I agree trees are very important for our environment. Trees don't normally get planted during the summer months as they shouldn't be planted when they are in full growing mode, but rather when they are without leaves and dormant. Southwark therefore plants replacement trees in the winter.

You mention that you think more trees could be planted here. The best way to get this looked into is to put in an application to Cleaner, Greener, Safer. The scheme is open for applications now! Tree planting fits into the remit of the scheme, as do cycle hangers, environmental improvement projects,road safety etc

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/engagement-and-consultations/grants-and-funding/cleaner-greener-safer/applications

Please put in an application. The tree officers would look at the site and check if the additional greening of this location is feasible.They then pass their recommendations to the ward councillors with a costing, so you don't need to work out the cost for the forms.

I will report about the dead tree in case it isn't already on the planting schedule.

My contact details are attached.

Renata