Any moped/scooter commuters?

Hi

Does anyone scooter/moped to work from here into town (I?m west end)? Im considering it as getting fed up of trains & waiting for buses etc

Any advise before I take the plunge? Is there usually parking easily to find? Any tips on keeping it safe from Thieves?

I used to use a moped to get to work in the City - I broke my arm twice - once coming round a corner to meet a whole slurry of dumped fruit and vedge, once hit by a car coming out of a side street into the Strand (I found out later it had been stolen). Be very careful, wear protective clothing (even if it seems OTT on a moped) and assume the b**gers are out to get you. And they are very stealable, particularly now. Get top-grade locks. Take advice from current motorised 2 wheelers - I'm out-of-date, but after 5 years and two accidents I was grateful to give up and go back to the misery of public transport commuting.

I'll state at the outset that I'm not a scooter/moped/bike rider, being firmly entrenched in the four-wheel camp, but I'd suggest that, unless you're an experienced rider, now may not be the best time of year to start given that it's getting colder, wetter, windier and darker in the mornings/evenings. Perhaps wait until the Spring when conditions should be better and you'll have a few months to hone your skills? Whatever you decide, I hope you don't literally "take the plunge"!

Westminster do charge for parking, it's ?1 a day, discounted if you buy a week/month/year. You'll need to take a CBT, should be just a day's training, cost about ?120 last time I did it, I can recommend Phoenix, their most local spot was out of Crystal Palace when I took my Mod 2. If you're planning on riding through winter you'll want some waterproof textile gear, even if you don't go full Gore-Tex to start with. Check insurance prices, that might put you off.

I got a little 125 4 years ago, by the April a friend and I took the DAS, rode without L plates for another few months and I upgraded to a big bike when somebody t-boned me and wrote the little thing off... Definitely recommend it!

Been commuting on m/bike for 20 years. It's fine, as long as you take your time and imagine every road user is out to knock you off. Wear good protection all year round and be visible. And use a massive chain and disc lock.

Ride in to work every day, have done for even more than 20 years.. kford speaks the truth on all fronts.

My tuppence would suggest not buying a little 50cc just in case you were thinking of it, get something with a bit more oomph if you can.

Highjacking husbands login as mine is temporarily unavailable to em: Sensibleman and I have both commuted on 2 wheels - him for a lot more years than me.

I had a twist&go 50cc vespa that I adored and commuted to - variously - Waterloo, Lewisham and Regents Park on it for 5 years. I loved it, and only stopped because my work now takes me much further afield and requires a car to carry all my kit. I also had 2 accidents - the first because I was going too fast round a corner on an icy day (racing my husband - how embarrassing) and I slid slowly and inelegantly sideways into a horizontal stop. No damage other than pride to me or the bike. the other when a plonker in a van in front of me with blacked out windows in a traffic queue decided to reverse without looking, & of course there's no reverse gear on a scooter so? crunch! I didn't need to do any CBT because Im an old bag and got my full drivers licence when God was a girl, but I would recommend it to give you confidence. If you work in some boroughs you can apply to do the Police motorbike training course for free which is excellent.

I would suggest all the posters above have suggested re locks, plus get a waterproof apron cover, hand-muff and a small screen. Personally I don't think you need a bigger bike if you don't want one - as I said, I loved my 50cc and it was enough for me. Parking was always simpler by bike, but the west end motorbike bays do get full quickly in the day. Check out http://www.parkingforbikes.com to find the best places for you. Also make sure your bike is not of an age to incur a congestion charge - now or in the near future.

I would definitely say go for it, and if you do I hope you have as good a time with your bike as I didd with mine.

Sillywoman x

I?ve been scooting into the West End for a year. Best decision I ever made. If you?ve all the right gear, it?s fun even on a wet day. I?m super cautious so probably not as speedy as it could be. Mungo?s Motorcycles on Tyrell is brilliant for lessons and CBT. I had a lesson with him before buying my Vespa to see whether I liked it or not. Highly recommend.

Basically just do it, you won't regret it. It saves you time and money in the long run. It's fun (obviously more so in the summer) and London just becomes a smaller place because of the freedom of just jumping on your bike and being somewhere central in 25 minutes.

Not going to repeat all the very good advice above about safety etc. Will give another recommend for Mungo. Top bloke, great teacher.

I recently passed by Direct Access (DA) course, end Jul this year ('19) and now commute daily into town, (Regents Park), and my only regret is that I did not do this sooner. I'm kinda lucky with parking, as my work has a basement car park I can use, so I won't comment on parking.

But in terms of riding in, like I said I wouldn't stop this now. You will need proper gear, (this means, helmet, jacket, trousers, gloves and boots), ideally waterproof and if you plan on starting at this time of year probably windproof and with lining(s). Please do not try and ride without the right gear. Road rash, knocks, etc happen and it doesn't matter what form of motorised 2 wheel transport you are using. Don't let others tell you you don't need it just cause you plan to use a moped.

If you can get a helmet with an integrated sun visor I would recommend that, (as it comes in really handy), and some helmets, like a Shoei will also have a anti fog screen that you can fit to the inside of your visor, to help make sure your visor doesn't steam up on the inside.

In terms of security I personally use Abus products on my motorbike. They are pricey but some of the best on the market.

Find a good person to do your CBT with. I would personally recommend Mungo, (like some of the previous posts). When I went to him at the end of May this year, I hadn't even ridden a moped before. But I passed my CBT, spent a month riding a 125 to practise what I'd learnt, then went on a 5 day intensive course with him to pass my unrestricted A license. He is a shockingly good instructor, (also teaches diving), and will only take a max of 2 people at any one time, so you really get his attention. His experience is so vast, and he has a wealth of knowledge to share. He is also really humble and had no qualms telling me after all these years he is still learning too, (his mentor is an ex-police rider).

I'm booked in for my Enhanced rider course with him in Nov, and will most definitely go to him for the Advanced next year as well.

Overall, I think once you start you will just look back and think, "I should have done this sooner". Good luck and if you do start riding in, stay safe.

used to commued ED to Twickenham, hellish, but not compared to the alternatives. Get the right gear and use it, even in the summer. Parking can be terrible in the west end, can be ok! Oh yes, ride in the mindset that no one has seen you, and if they have, they are aiming straight at you, sadly both cases are usually right. I cycle and drive too, just remember the roads are a shared resource (despite what many think) and look out for others as you would yourself.

Hi SEnewbie,

I've ridden around London for around 30 years, including commuting to the city, West End, Wembley and lately Maida Vale, as well as a stint as a courier and I've ridden everything from litre sports bikes to my current 125 scooter. I would echo most of the advice you've already had, including that a 125 is plenty for commuting - anything bigger is a total waste and a scooter is much better for keeping the rain off than a motorbike. My current Piaggio has bigger wheels than a standard scooter and is noticeably more stable.

Having said all that, I'm pushing 60 and am a skinny runt but I still find it very nearly as quick and much more pleasant commuting by pushbike. It's nearly 10 miles to my current job and takes about 5 minutes longer by bicycle than on my scooter - and I don't run red lights... Of course cycling is not for everyone but neither is motorcycling and, if you feel like giving it a go it's cheaper, greener, healthier, possibly quicker and less hassle than any form of transport bar walking. Whatever you decide good luck and I hope it works out for you.

I would also recommend doing the Met Police's Bike Safe course. Best ?45 I ever spent! I first did the training with a 125cc and have repeated the course on a 650cc and the training you receive and the awareness you develop are second to none. Morning spent in classroom situation and the afternoon out on the road - 2 course attendees to one police rider. Stops for feedback along the way and lunch is included and you will develop the skills that are life saving.

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Interesting. I ride a motorbike every day but am

> genuinely tempted by a decent electric assisted

> bike... Just to throw that in the mix!

>

> I'll stick with the 650 bike for now though, if

> only for weekend rides to the coast.

Well I do have a 650cc but for years commuted by my 125cc scooter from east Dulwich to Westminster. Really easy, cheap and quick. But since January I have been on an electrically assisted bike. It's been fantastic. I'm over 60 and over weight but I feel so much better with the daily exercise. It makes Denmark Hill easy and it only takes 20 minutes.

I still go in by scooter if it's raining too much. Highly recommend the bike.

I have a 125 which I love. It transforms your life in a positive way and takes the misery out of commuting. But key to this is bike skills and training. As people have said, get the right kit because it?s required when you take a tumble. I once went down the side and over the front of a Volvo estate, when the guy didn?t look and decided to make a speedy right turn. His car was full off furniture and he couldn?t see out of the windows.

Parking in the West End is tight as there?s lots of bikes, but I generally do ok. That said, I mostly ride on dry days as my work is flexible and I don?t have one work location.

Enjoy and stay safe.

I've been commuting by bike for a long time. I could not do without it. Echo all the advice above, regarding training and bike skills. Also a huge recommendation for the Bike Safe course with the police. Believe it or not, during normal commuting times you don't often need proper wet weather gear. No waiting for buses, no waiting for trains, don't have to worry when everyone at works is citing train cancellations...gives you massive freedom.

Would also echo someone's comments above - from SE22 to the city, almost no difference in commute time between a motorbike and a bicycle. I do find the moto much more pleasant through winter though.

Go for a 250cc scooter (125 is big enough for commuting but a pain for longer trips, especially A roads or motorways). And lock it up. Buy the best chains and locks you can, and a ground anchor.

bobbsy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Go for a 250cc scooter (125 is big enough for

> commuting but a pain for longer trips, especially

> A roads or motorways).

Worth noting this requires a license, so Mod 1 and 2 with the requisite training, which will cost more than a CBT and take a fair bit longer.

I'm all for extra training, including the BikeSafe courses above, but a 125 is a good entry point. 250 seems a bad compromise, sure it'll hit motorway speeds but I wouldn't want to do longer trips on one, if you're going full A license I'd just go for one of the "My First 600" bikes.

I've been commuting to Twickenham for the last few years from East Dul - i've done public transport, car and even cycled the 30 mile round trip for about a year. Cycling was comfortably the fastest option but being on my bike for 10 hours a week wasn't fun. I'm now wondering whether a moped might be a good option - faster than car and train and cheaper (hopefully?!). Would a 50cc be enough for that kind of commute or would I need something faster? Thanks!