Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?

My poor dog went in to a complete tizz because the fireworks disturbed him so badly - I bet I'm not alone in that. It is only about three weeks ago we had another late display which was at Alleyn's School. Was this one at the College? Anyone know? It is time these organisations actually warned residents so they can prepare for the noise and so we can be with our terrified animals.

I am towards the bottom of Underhill SE22 and I could see them from my sitting room window. It looked as if they were near/behind the church with the steeple on Lordship Lane near the bottom of Underhill (opposite the Concrete House)- can't remember its name. Sounded like the Blitz. Quite large fireworks.

FriendsOfTheTerrapin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think you?ll find that the culprit was Dulwich

> and Sydenham Hill Golf Club 125th Anniversary

> Dinner and Fireworks night...

Ah, that would fit in with behind the church. I feel for the horses at the stables as well.

They looked more professional than domestic fireworks.

I think more broadly its yet again a question of appropriateness and judgement. The sound in this area carries horribly - we heard them up by East Dulwich Station so it definitely wasn't just a very local issue - they woke up one of my kids.

I don't believe that fireworks at 10-10:30 are appropriate in a residential area. Its dark by 8 these days so a 9pm curfew on fireworks would seem reasonable. Event planners need to realise they're not Disneyland - so fireworks arent' your 'go home' messsage!

As someone has already pointed out, if there was fireworks being let off at 10:30pm then there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. They are allowed to by law, and to expect people to not have fireworks just because you might upset some dog that might live nearby is unreasonable. Ill be letting plenty off this autumn and do not expect anyone to complain, or theyll be told the law as well as my opinions on the matter.

Also i consider comparing some fireworks to the Blitz in poor taste, especially when they would be nowhere near the same.

I think there is a difference between 'not illegal' or 'nothing stopping them' vs what is appropriate and responsible. There are lots of things we could all do legally that would make the lives of people living around us much less pleasant.

Coming off the back of the Alleyn's 400th anniversary celebrations fireworks (also ridiculously late and going on for a long time) these additional late fireworks haven't been well received and a little consideration from people planning events would be good.

You can actually get less noisy fireworks. It's just inconsiderate to be so loud and not care how it will affect people.

People expect fireworks at certain times of the year - otherwise, in a community, they should be advertised so people can take appropriate measures. Like staying in - or keeping the cats in.

It's not hard and to be honest, they would have thought about it and decided it didn't' matter/ wasn't worth the trouble.

Hemingway Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I heard them, they were noisy, they lasted all of

> 10 minutes or so. Seriously what is wrong with

> people go and live in the middle of the country if

> you can't stand a few fireworks at 10.30pm on a

> Saturday.

Ridiculous isnt it. Some people shouldnt live in London at all if they are going to get annoyed at some fireworks on the weekend.

I would imagine it was advertised somewhere.

How far should they be leafleting? It's just impractical to expect an organisation to leaflet every house within a - say 2 mile - radius.

It was 10 minutes of fireworks at 10pmish on a Saturday night - I really think people just love to complain about things. And if you must - there are far worse things we could be complaining about.

Stop being so Grinchy.

Some people live in war-zones where there are load explosions going on at all hours - that might actually kill them.

The poster who started this thread was not being "grinchy" he or she stated the impact that 10 minutes had on his dog. Those affects can be long term you know. All it takes is 10 minutes out of the blue and bingo you have a long lasting and potentially serious problem. Firework noises are of a different order to everyday city sounds...please don't simply dismiss the effects of something when you may not fully appreciate the consequencea.

I would actually argue that maybe if fireworks apparently 'upset' their dog, then they shouldnt have a dog. Its not particularly kind keeping a dog indoors within a big city anyway- it would have a happier life in the countryside and wouldnt have to listen to other peoples fireworks.

Fireworks are actually really frightening for dogs and can make them behave in unpredictable ways, which can be unsafe and dangerous for them.

Owners need to be able to prepare and plan and be there when they start - which is usually at expected times.

It's thoughtless in a community to not care about other people and the effects this has on them.

No one is being boring - just practical and concerned.