We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.stevenvaughan.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Asset 07 October, 2019 17:03

"they could post on the forum"

I supposes then at least the people who go on the forum to moan about fireworks would know - but what about the thousands of residents within the 2 mile radius that don't?

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by first mate 07 October, 2019 17:05

Indeed, that's all that is being asked; no bans, no removal of freedoms, just a bit of notice. Sorry this seems to be such an impossible task for some.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by pk 07 October, 2019 17:09

first mate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Indeed, that's all that is being asked; no bans,
> no removal of freedoms, just a bit of notice.
> Sorry this seems to be such an impossible task for
> some.


Perhaps the same could apply to people taking dogs out in public so that people who are scared of dogs could know to avoid, guess itíd have to be restricted to specific hours otherwise people might find it difficult to avoid dogs

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by first mate 07 October, 2019 17:51

Seriously?!

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by pk 07 October, 2019 18:00

first mate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seriously?!


Obviously not

Itís ridiculous, like most of this thread

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by first mate 07 October, 2019 18:16

Have a read around the impact of fireworks on pet animals ( veterinary research etc..) and if you still feel the same I would be surprised.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by pk 07 October, 2019 18:29

first mate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have a read around the impact of fireworks on pet
> animals ( veterinary research etc..) and if you
> still feel the same I would be surprised.


So how do you (realistically) think notice should work?
Blanket leaflet drops, as has been suggested?

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by first mate 07 October, 2019 18:41

In this day and age an advertising combination (a few leaflets, local forums, social media, notice to local vets) would get the word out and it would then spread fairly quickly, I am sure.

Knowing a few days in advance enables the owner to ensure they are home, prep the home, and if the animal has serious noise sensitivity sedating meds can be dispensed, or the owner can go somewhere else for the night.

Anyway, thanks for asking a genuine question.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by pk 07 October, 2019 18:59

In practice any coverage would be limited, but I agree that a few posters in the immediate area isnít much to ask, particularly if they cover local dog walking places

Then maybe dog owners could flag forthcoming displays in their areas on a dog owners forum

Then people with dogs that are badly affected by fireworks could check for displays local to them from time to time and makes plans accordingly

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by carlafindle 07 October, 2019 19:09

Contact the 'perbitraitors' if you're so concerned instead of blabbering on this forum...

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by first mate 07 October, 2019 19:27

pk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In practice any coverage would be limited, but I
> agree that a few posters in the immediate area
> isnít much to ask, particularly if they cover
> local dog walking places
>
> Then maybe dog owners could flag forthcoming
> displays in their areas on a dog owners forum
>
> Then people with dogs that are badly affected by
> fireworks could check for displays local to them
> from time to time and makes plans accordingly

We agree😃

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Asset 07 October, 2019 19:31

OK, don't forget about posters and leaflets in all the local nurseries and children's play areas, parent fora etc etc. so the parents can prepare and make sure their children aren't disturbed.

How far radius should be covered? I suggest 2 miles from the display, also I think prevailing winds should be taken into account and perhaps the range of leafleting should be extended by a mile or two in that direction.

Maybe some full page adverts in the local press too.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by pk 07 October, 2019 19:35

Asset Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, don't forget about posters and leaflets in all
> the local nurseries and children's play areas,
> parent fora etc etc. so the parents can prepare
> and make sure their children aren't disturbed.
>
> How far radius should be covered? I suggest 2
> miles from the display, also I think prevailing
> winds should be taken into account and perhaps the
> range of leafleting should be extended by a mile
> or two in that direction.
>
> Maybe some full page adverts in the local press
> too.


Or a few posters strategically placed and the dog owner network spreads the word?

Like whatís been suggested

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by ED Light 07 October, 2019 19:46

We loved it - my daughter and I watched from our loft (obviously, itís East Dulwich) and enjoyed every minute

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Asset 07 October, 2019 20:00

*rolls eyes*

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Metallic 08 October, 2019 10:49

Notice could be on this Forum and in the local Society e -newsletters. By the way - the only people who knew about the fireworks were the people at the party, the golf club and the fireworks techies. Until the booms started that is.

I am not against fireworks. I couldn't give a toss about parties where they are let off at 10.30 to 1040 pm. Just saying a bit of neighbourly consideration to SE22, SE21 and SE23 wouldn't have gone amiss.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Metallic 08 October, 2019 10:50

pk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> first mate Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Indeed, that's all that is being asked; no
> bans,
> > no removal of freedoms, just a bit of notice.
> > Sorry this seems to be such an impossible task
> for
> > some.
>
>
> Perhaps the same could apply to people taking dogs
> out in public so that people who are scared of
> dogs could know to avoid, guess itíd have to be
> restricted to specific hours otherwise people
> might find it difficult to avoid dogs

You are quite ridiculous mate.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Metallic 08 October, 2019 10:52

ED Light Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We loved it - my daughter and I watched from our
> loft (obviously, itís East Dulwich) and enjoyed
> every minute

How old is your daughter?

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Metallic 08 October, 2019 10:55

I don't know what time your march is, I would like to support you on here at least - there is a big Southwark meeting at Alleyn's on 12 October, all morning, and many locals are planning to have their say at it, so sorry I can't join.

Sorry - wrong place!



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:10:08:12:19:33 by Metallic.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Townleygreen 08 October, 2019 11:40

That meeting Metallic refers to is here

[www.southwark.gov.uk]

it's an Our Healthy Streets consultation

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by pk 08 October, 2019 11:41

Metallic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > first mate Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Indeed, that's all that is being asked; no
> > bans,
> > > no removal of freedoms, just a bit of notice.
> > > Sorry this seems to be such an impossible
> task
> > for
> > > some.
> >
> >
> > Perhaps the same could apply to people taking
> dogs
> > out in public so that people who are scared of
> > dogs could know to avoid, guess itíd have to be
> > restricted to specific hours otherwise people
> > might find it difficult to avoid dogs
>
> You are quite ridiculous mate.

as I've made clear above, I was joking

were you joking about blanket leafleting and the distribution of unwanted paper? imagine the cost to the environment of loads of people receiving loads of leaflets about things that they have no interest in

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Metallic 08 October, 2019 12:21

I did suggest the e newsletters and posters on the many noticeboards around.... of course I don't tolerate the waste of resources or time.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by pk 08 October, 2019 12:28

Metallic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did suggest the e newsletters and posters on the
> many noticeboards around.... of course I don't
> tolerate the waste of resources or time.

but you did suggest leafleting a mile's diameter too

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Growlybear 08 October, 2019 13:42

I heard the fireworks on Saturday night, and from what I could see of them from an upstairs window, they were lovely. I can't understand why anyone would think that a ten minute firework display at 10.30 p.m. is unreasonable? It's not exactly late, and if anyone's children are woken up for ten minutes, they don't have to get up for school the next morning. Like many people, I've got animals, but because I choose to keep pets, I really don't expect that to stop other people from enjoying a very short firework display. The world's gone mad!

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Jules-and-Boo 09 October, 2019 09:57

It really shouldn't need to be said, but people need to be respectful and tolerant in a community.

If you personally do not understand another person's issues, you do not have the right to rubbish it and try and show them in a bad light.

People are just asking for a bit of thought and respect in regard to actions that negatively impact them. It's completely reasonable to do so.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by first mate 09 October, 2019 11:05

Agreed, and for the umpteenth time, nobody is trying to stop other people enjoying fireworks unless asking for a bit of communication in advance is perceived as 'stopping people's enjoyment'?!

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Metallic 09 October, 2019 11:12

Jules-and-Boo and first mate are correct. By the way a neighbour of mine wrote to the golf club and she said she had quite an apologetic reply. It means they will maybe advertise their next fireworks party, which is all that is needed.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by hammerman 18 October, 2019 23:00

Hope they do advertise their next fireworks party as it must have been very loud for them and on the step neighbours!

We heard it very loudly and like a thunder bolt for 10 minutes in the Red Post Hill area and I tried to work out where it was coming from as it had a big impact on my animals and the local wildlife in the area for the next few days/weeks.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by natty01295 21 October, 2019 19:54

There great fireworks, I've always loved them
And there bangs I really love it



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:10:21:19:55:57 by natty01295.

messageRe: Fireworks at 10.30 pm - Dulwich Village area?
Posted by Angelina 21 October, 2019 21:14

I do too, Natty.... but there are many who don't

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum