Peckham West CPZ - Consultation Deadline 17th October

Zak

Just a reminder that tomorrow is the deadline for submitting comments/objections in respect of the proposed Peckham West CPZ.

Probably the simplest way to do it, is by email to [email protected]

But remember you must:

* quote the reference no. ?TMO1920-026 Peckham W parking zone?

* give your name and full address, and say if you are resident, business or visitor &

* state the reasons for any objections you have.

You will receive an automated acknowledgement

The deadline is Thursday 17th October 2019.

----------------------------------------------

If it goes like the ED one, what you collectively say you want, and what the powers that be in their infinite wisdom will give you will have little overlap. Unless, collectively, you want CPZs imposed on every street in the survey. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If so, your prayers will be answered.

I've always been against the CPZ as a matter of principle. It seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and will simply create unnecessary costs and bureaucracy.

But if it reduces the amount of people reserving four car-lengths with their bins for days on end, or having unlicenced skips and toilets in the road for months, or mossy, rusty "car projects" for years, then maybe this cloud has a silver lining.

MJRealDavies Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm all for it. Sick to death of driving around

> for 20 minutes looking for a space everytime i

> come home.

Careful, given the ratio of car owners to spaces in streets, the whole driving around finding somewhere to park adventure won't go away. Just means you'll have further to go and the neighbouring streets not with CPZ wont be happy either.

MJRealDavies Wrote:

> I'm all for it. Sick to death of driving around

> for 20 minutes looking for a space everytime i

> come home.

There are more cars than spaces on most streets, especially on those where houses have been split into flats, or there are blocks of flats. A CPZ may make it a little easier to park, but not much and you'll be paying for the privilege of driving around looking for a space. It will also make it a lot more inconvenient to visit others, or have then visit you in the car / deliveries/ builders etc.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> MJRealDavies Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'm all for it. Sick to death of driving around

> > for 20 minutes looking for a space everytime i

> > come home.

>

> There are more cars than spaces on most streets,

> especially on those where houses have been split

> into flats, or there are blocks of flats. A CPZ

> may make it a little easier to park, but not much

> and you'll be paying for the privilege of driving

> around looking for a space. It will also make it a

> lot more inconvenient to visit others, or have

> then visit you in the car / deliveries/ builders

> etc.

only time will tell! Worth hundred quid to find out...

Parking never works out as expected, but it's all fun and games.

1. When they resurfaced our road, the entire street had to be emptied, but the neighbouring streets didn't seem any busier than usual, and even still had spaces.

2. When I lived out of town in a street with garages, it was a nightmare to park in our street, but as soon as there was a heavy frost, the street was empty.

3. And a while back, I parked in Hampstead in a space that was CPZ/Pay & Display from 8am-10am, and got called a c**t by a posh man in a Bentley, who was clearly waiting to park in the space as soon as 10am passed. Made my day.

Any one of these could happen to you. Apart from #2 as there aren't many garages around here.

But anyway, I agree with rah - even though the skips, project cars and toilets will be gone, cars will appear out of nowhere and fill up the spaces.

Having said that, we're deep into the proposed CPZ and our street is definitely busier with parking in the day than the evening (no idea why) so it might just work out better.

And I'll be less cross about cars with CPZ permits taking up the spaces than skips and toilets. Unless they don't police it. Then I'll be even more cross - what am I paying my CPZ charge for? Grrrr.

I would still like to know what the aim of the CPZ is. If it's to encourage more 'active travel' and to reduce car usage, then perhaps pedestrianisation and segregated cycle lanes would be a more appropriate response. If it's just about making it easier / more convenient to own a car, then the council should probably be honest about it.