We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.veganplates.co.uk

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
messageRe: Alleyns Junior School - planning
Posted by Townleygreen 20 December, 2019 17:52

what a spectacularly useless image that is!

Posted by bels123 20 December, 2019 20:03

Looks as though itís to do with the sports ground, not the junior school expansion. A different planning application.

Posted by Asset 22 December, 2019 09:31

It's not to do with the Junior school expansion. They are installing a Multi-Use Games Area next to the sport's hall.
Interesting that we have had zero notification of this planning application, no signs up on the lampposts etc. Work will take 3 months.

Posted by seenbeen 22 December, 2019 12:40

It's the 400th Celebration of the Foundation of Edward Alleyn's Foundation this year- how long have you been here? you can move. I've been surrounded by building works in my residence for 5 years- so 3 months is nothing. People forego expensive holidays, cars etc to send their children to these schools...unless you are as well off as Bob Geldof or Paul Greengrass, or Timothy West and Prunella Scales....

Posted by sillywoman 23 December, 2019 17:25

Just because an institution has been in place for a while doesn't mean it can do what it likes seenbeen. It's good that through threads like this Alleyns can be held somewhat to account (they don't seem to listen to individual local residents for sure). If it was clear that the ED community was getting something back from this parasite squatting in our midst then personally I would feel more favourably inclined toward their ever encroaching expansion plans.

As for the "people make sacrifices" nonsense ... I don't know what kind of cars or holidays you imagine folk are giving up to afford the £15k plus per annum school fees, but I can state that even if we took no holidays and went carless it wouldn't even touch one years worth of fees, I would guess that there are many, many others in the same boat. Don't kid yourself - you have to be rich to send your children there full stop.

Posted by lulu1 23 December, 2019 20:49

Saying Alleynís is a parasite squatting in our midst is quite a strong statement. As you were wondering if they give anything back to the community I thought Iíd sent you this, which is on their website.

[www.alleyns.org.uk]
[www.alleyns.org.uk]
[www.schoolstogether.org] (7 pages)

Alleynís gets a lot of bad publicity on this forum and some of it is well justified. However, they also do good and I think thatís sometimes worth mentioning as well.

Posted by DadOf4 January 15, 10:54AM

I have received an email from Southwark planning to say that there is updated information from the applicant for this.

I don't time to look in detail this week but, from a first-pass, I *think* that they've got some smart consultants in to say that there's no problem whatsoever with pollution or congestion created by their school

Would be interested to read anybodys views who has time to properly understand what theyre doing here

[planning.southwark.gov.uk]

Posted by DadOf4 January 15, 11:06AM

ok, so I've started to get drawn into looking at this in more detail.
It looks like they have got Hoare Lea to do an air quality assessment. To paraphrase: theyre saying that the air quality standards in the area aren't above acceptable limits and that the delta from Alleyns expansion isn't significant.

Without even reading it in detail, I've already spotted that theyre basing their assessment on data from a range of monitoring sites that are nowhere near the school. I would say that its likely that nobody going to this school passes any of the sites they reference - they may as well used monitoring points in Sunderland. And, from that, they extrapolate that the air quality is fine around Alleyns

As I say, this is only from a first pass - my guess is that there is plenty of other twisting of data and false extrapolations going on. Interested to see what others think/find

Posted by mikeb January 16, 02:44PM

I think this is the document DadOf4 is referring to. Not sure what Maxted Rd has to do with anything.

[planning.southwark.gov.uk]

Posted by bels123 January 16, 02:48PM

Agree the monitoring sites included are not relevant and interestingly what would be the most relevant one Southwark monitors - which is on Calton Ave - is missed off.

It was included here though [www.southwarknews.co.uk] but Alleyn's think it's all good - no air quality issues.

Posted by goldilocks January 16, 09:38PM

I've also had a brief look through this and there really isn't anything that would change the concerns to the previous application - least of all the air quality report uses the results of monitors up to well over 1km away, yet ignores the readings of those on Calton Avenue.

One thing I noticed in the information submitted is that there will be two 'walking busses' starting in January 2020. One from Sainsburys on Dog Kennel Hill, via Greendale and one from Dulwich park. Has anyone see these? I haven't noticed any walking busses on Greendale, so assuming they haven't started it yet?

Posted by Melihoople January 19, 09:46AM

is there anything that needs a response?

Posted by goldilocks January 20, 07:44AM

The recent documents submitted by Alleyns are intended to address the concerns raised in the objections to the initial plans.

The date for responding to these additional documents is very short - it closes on the 29th of January which really doesn't give any reasonable time for responding to them.

Posted by cleanairdulwich January 25, 06:40PM

As noted by posters above, Alleyn's have submitted additional documents in support of their application. The timescale for submitting comments has been extended to 12 February. Based on the documents uploaded to the council site there doesn't seem to be anything that addresses the concerns already raised.

Please click on the link below to see our short film showing why we don't believe that any further expansion should be permitted which could worsen the existing situation:

[twitter.com]

Posted by motorbird83 January 26, 11:17AM

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what's happening at Alleyns. From what I understand they are expanding their intake at 4 (reception) and reducing it at 7 (year 3). The school will essentially be two-form throughout rather than starting as one-form and then growing to two-form from year 3.

The total number of pupils moving the secondary school will therefore be unchanged.

Children aren't allowed to take the coaches until Year 3 from what I understand and as year 3 total pupil numbers won't increase, there should be no impact on the total number of coaches either.

The expansion in pupil numbers may result in people driving for the reception intake. However, that intake is usually quite local. To the poster who suggested the geographical spread is widening as locals are foregoing the school for state options should keep in mind that demand for all school places has gone up. Alleyns has about 200 applications currently for the 18 reception places.

Posted by goldilocks January 26, 11:28AM

Motor bird- just a follow up to the clarification you provided above. You state that the school is expanding their intake at reception and reducing it from year 3 and that this change from 1-2 form to 2 form throughout will not result in more children going into the secondary school.

Whilst this is correct in terms of no change to the numbers who can go straight through to the senior school, it WILL result in more children attending the Ďjunior schoolí and as you note, these additional children at this age will not be allowed to use the coaches. Therefore if they do not walk there will be more cars coming to the site.

Iím not sure anyone is confused about the plans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 26, 11:34am by goldilocks.

Posted by Bicknell January 26, 09:36PM

Saw this from Clean Air Dulwich [twitter.com]

Posted by EDfor January 27, 05:27PM

Everyone should look at the brilliant Dulwich Clean Air posting - it says and shows the problem/s caused by Alleyn's and the congestion and environmental problems which have plagued the area, and undermined its quality of life for years.

There have been major building and expansion works going on at the school for something like 10 years now and surely it must be time to call a halt and fully assess the environmental cost of this business to the local community.

Posted by LoulaRose January 28, 08:51AM

Bicknell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saw this from Clean Air Dulwich
> [twitter.com]

Phase 3 of Our Healthy Streets has been published, including proposals for changes to the Village layout.

[www.southwark.gov.uk]

It will impact the Village area and Burbage and Turney Roads where there will be further consultations about proposals for timed access restrictions, permeable closure/one way entry and parking controls.

Posted by creditwheredue January 28, 12:01PM

Iíve just received a healthy street proposal from the council.

Townley Road to be closed during peak times except for cyclists. No access at all to Eynella Street and the Carlton Avenue junction at the village which are to be pedestrians and cyclists only.

With regards to the Townley Road proposal the cynic in me says that rather than Alleynís sort out the problem that they cause, all other road users with the exception of bikes will have to suffer re-routing.

Posted by cleanairdulwich January 28, 12:12PM

Come to this talk held at JAGS by Dulwich Safe Routes to Schools to understand why we're so passionate about the need to reduce air pollution

[www.trybooking.com];

Posted by Penguin68 January 28, 12:18PM

Townley Road to be closed during peak times except for cyclists

There is a need to define 'peak times' here - the peak for Townley Road is at school start and end, and only during term. Standard commuting peak will miss the afternoon school end.

Posted by creditwheredue January 28, 12:25PM

The council need to start thinking about the impact this proposal will have on Melbourne Grove.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 28, 01:24pm by creditwheredue.

Posted by JEG1 January 28, 12:31PM

I'm not defending anyone here, as I'm a firm believer in children attending their local school, if possible, and I don't drive anywhere, but it seems that Alleyn's are being blamed here for all the pollution and congestion problems in Dulwich. Try walking up Forest Hill Road during the school run. The pollution is far worse there. And it's certainly not just 'priveleged' children who get driven to school (which is what this thread seems to suggest). This is inner London. The population is continually rising and so is the demand for school places, both date and private!

Posted by macutd January 28, 12:55PM

It's Alleyns that drive up my road every day. Trossachs

Posted by Townleygreen January 28, 11:22PM

OK, so that's Trossachs - which is virtually next door to Alleyns. Similar issues with Harris ED in Forest Hill rd as JEG1's post reminds us. It's bound to be difficult when you're next to a school.

Posted by macutd January 29, 07:17AM

the traffic is greater at Alleyns because they are not local children attending their local school but children driven from a much wider area

Posted by goldilocks January 29, 07:43AM

Exactly this - its purely factual that Alleyns kids on the whole come from a much wider area than those at distance criteria state schools.

The short video posted above from 'Clean Air for Dulwich' clearly shows the difference between term time and holidays in terms of impact on local roads.

Years of discussion and consultation with the school has done nothing to improve the situation for the local community and the concentration of independent schools with Alleyns and JAGs being located virtually opposite exacerbates the issue.

The Dulwich Healthy Streets proposals may help reduce the number of parents who chose to drive / have their kids driven to Alleyns, but until this is in place and the current situation improves I don't think that further expansion should be granted.

macutd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the traffic is greater at Alleyns because they are
> not local children attending their local school
> but children driven from a much wider area

Posted by JEG1 January 29, 10:56AM

Kingsdale doesn't have a catchment area and they are increasing their Published Admission Number this year due to 'record breaking demand'.

Posted by goldilocks January 29, 11:40AM

This point about increasing numbers is precisely why I believe that we should oppose this expansion planning permission request by Alleynís at this time.

The number of additional children as a result of planning expansion in Alleyns docs on the planning portal is stated as between 35-42 additional kids but once built there will be no further requirement to consult again if they want to increase numbers in those 3 extra classes and itís more realistic to assume that the additional children attending by expansion will be 60-66 rather than 35-42!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum