Sainsburys ban on selling fireworks?

hammerman

Apparently a large number of people (customers) expressed opinions against the sale of fireworks last year - I also expect that the costs associated with selling fireworks (sales area, dedicated staff, security) may well have outweighed the revenue per square foot calculations - where such low net return items (if they are) are given selling space it is normally because they boost foot-fall - my guess would be that customers buying fireworks in Sainsbury's were customers anyway - the offer did not bring them in specially. And clearly it gives them some good publicity in these XR days!

It's a smart move that anyone with two brain cells to rub together would appreciate regardless of whether or not Sainsbury's is doing it for publicity. It appears they are showing consideration for pets, wildlife, mental & physical health, & the overall environmental impact fireworks have on the planet, which is more than can be said for those who are on the ED forums approving of it because they look pretty & their children enjoy the display.

Sainsburys PR has gone into overdrive these last few weeks - this is all about publicity and nothing more.

This fireworks thing, the Dyson Hoover offer, the twitter tweeting it was saturday (when it was friday), the new nectar app is being pushed hard. They are losing money and need any publicity.

I think it's a fabulous decision. Almost no-one in the area has a large enough garden to set fireworks off safely enough away from either their own spectators, trees or neighbouring properties but people do it anyway. It's completely illegal to set them off in parks and in the street but people do it anyway. Fireworks have no place in the hands of amateurs and, whatever Sainsbury's reasoning, I for one will be hopeful there'll be fewer people buying them this year. Public displays are way better anyway, free in the case of Southwark's usually impressive offering, and monumentally more safe.

Hmm. I have pets and children. I think fireworks are lovely, but there is a type of firework that just makes a incredulous bang just for the sake of it. I'ld say no to those. However, there are some that sparkle and fizz, and I have lots of time for those.

There's something lovely about being out in the cold and watching something brutal like explosions in the air. City kids have little to wonder about, don't deny them a bit of magic. Wandering back with a crowd after the show has finished is special. I will be pinning a Catherine wheel to my tree come 31st October, as soon as I return from Westminster.

seenbeen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Angelina Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Good. Anyone with a nonce can go and watch a

> > public display.

>

> but there are children around!

Lol

Plenty of other places to buy them i suppose.

Lots of people on here thinking they can dictate what other people do just because they have a dog or cat. Its amazing how they think we should not do something just because they made a decision to buy a dog, keep it captive in their urban house and then expect the neighbours to work around it. Other people dont care about your old dog, we'll be legally letting off fireworks as we please, thank you very much.

imasnookercue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Plenty of other places to buy them i suppose.

>

> Lots of people on here thinking they can dictate

> what other people do just because they have a dog

> or cat. Its amazing how they think we should not

> do something just because they made a decision to

> buy a dog, keep it captive in their urban house

> and then expect the neighbours to work around it.

> Other people dont care about your old dog, we'll

> be legally letting off fireworks as we please,

> thank you very much.

/Woosh

Of course the greater impact of setting off fireworks would go straight over the heads of degenerates like you. No care for wildlife, mental & physical health of others, & the overall environmental impact fireworks have on the planet. People with brain cells should have to suffer for your own pathetic personal enjoyment. Don't worry that you're contributing a large amount of pollution to the air the rest of us have to breathe & the water we have to drink. Just so long as you're having your 5 seconds of mediocre fun.

It's also pathetic that people should feel the need to pawn off their own stupidity onto their kids. "City kids have little to wonder about, don't deny them a bit of magic." - seriously? According to who? I wasn't a kid so long ago myself & I certaintly haven't been deprived of wonder & denied magic. Lol? There's no point in East Dulwich being filled with buggies if all you guys are going to do is breed stupidity.

I am not a pet owner and think it is a much larger issue than the distress caused to pets. What about the damage to wildlife, and pollution of the air. Not to mention the amount of time A&E wards have to spend on dealing with accidents .......

I wish someone would ban the New Year's Eve fireworks- all that money going up in smoke, my journey into North London disrupted..it was OK on Millenium Night but every year- no way!I blame the lack of proper chemistry lessons in school- most of us older folks got to play around with magnesium etc in year 10