Not so wild crow

A friend alerted me to a crow in Peckham Park in distress and apparently unable to fly. Several concerned people were surrounding the bush it was hiding under to keep dogs away and be sure of where it was. I took it home, then to Medivets because it had a small injury, they confirmed its wing was not broken though the first 2 primary feathers had been pulled out so it is probably too sore and bruised to fly.

When put in a crate it immediately ate the food I had given it despite me being only a foot away. Peckham crows are profoundly cynical about seemingly good intentioned people so this seemed odd.

Today it was happy to sit on my arm and poke my jumper. SO, NOT a wild crow. This poses a problem for release as it may not be up to scratch with the strict peckham crow social code and therefore be attacked.

Does anyone know where it has come from or who might have reared/cared for it?

ponderwoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A friend alerted me to a crow in Peckham Park in

> distress and apparently unable to fly. Several

> concerned people were surrounding the bush it was

> hiding under to keep dogs away and be sure of

> where it was. I took it home, then to Medivets

> because it had a small injury, they confirmed its

> wing was not broken though the first 2 primary

> feathers had been pulled out so it is probably too

> sore and bruised to fly.

>

> When put in a crate it immediately ate the food I

> had given it despite me being only a foot away.

> Peckham crows are profoundly cynical about

> seemingly good intentioned people so this seemed

> odd.

>

> Today it was happy to sit on my arm and poke my

> jumper. SO, NOT a wild crow. This poses a problem

> for release as it may not be up to scratch with

> the strict peckham crow social code and therefore

> be attacked.

>

> Does anyone know where it has come from or who

> might have reared/cared for it?

Crows are very social birds and they can recognise a human face/features for many years.

I have many that rely on me for feeding and social interaction with other birds.

crows are highly intelligent. I think it just likes you. Quite right too.

https://www.thoughtco.com/crows-are-more-intelligent-than-you-think-4156896

While a crow's brain may seem small in comparison to a human brain, what matters is the size of the brain in relation to the size of the animal. Relative to its body, a crow's brain and a primate brain are comparable. According to Professor John Marzluff at the University of Washington's Aviation Conservation Lab, a crow is essentially a flying monkey. Whether it's a friendly monkey or more like a fiend from "The Wizard of Oz" depends a lot on what you've done to the crow (or any of its friends).

Can you tell one crow from another? In this respect, a crow may be smarter than you because it can recognize individual human faces. Marzluff's team captured crows, tagged them, and released them. Members of the team wore different masks. Crows would dive-bomb and scold people wearing a mask, but only if the mask had been worn by someone who had messed with them.

ponderwoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A friend alerted me to a crow in Peckham Park in

> distress and apparently unable to fly. Several

> concerned people were surrounding the bush it was

> hiding under to keep dogs away and be sure of

> where it was. I took it home, then to Medivets

> because it had a small injury, they confirmed its

> wing was not broken though the first 2 primary

> feathers had been pulled out so it is probably too

> sore and bruised to fly.

>

> When put in a crate it immediately ate the food I

> had given it despite me being only a foot away.

> Peckham crows are profoundly cynical about

> seemingly good intentioned people so this seemed

> odd.

>

> Today it was happy to sit on my arm and poke my

> jumper. SO, NOT a wild crow. This poses a problem

> for release as it may not be up to scratch with

> the strict peckham crow social code and therefore

> be attacked.

>

> Does anyone know where it has come from or who

> might have reared/cared for it?

Would live to hear how he/she got on.

The crows in PR park are becoming a bit of a menace to those with young children! Yes, they are super bright and have worked out that buggies containing toddlers are likely to be covered in crumbs and other snack debris. They follow you round the playground and mob the buggies - so cheeky! They show zero fear of parents/children, and I'm sure if I held out a hand with food they'd come and take it. Definitely not so wild, those ones :)

On the subject - are there different types? some are luscious black, and others more scrawny and grey, do we have ravens and rooks? I know I have beautiful jays in the garden since bringing back some acorns from sydenham hill woods - did you know they stash and bury them, just like squirrels!

No, they're all carrion crows ? the 'regular' kind of crow. The fledgling crows take a while to get their dark black sheen, plus I've noticed quite a bit of albinism in the Peckham Rye crow population. There are several with a number of white and grey feathers.

Someone I know has made a short film about these crows as they're a fascinating example of a species changing its behaviour relatively quickly in the face of changes in the environment. Traditionally in the countryside, carrion crows were relatively solitary birds, whereas rooks were the highly sociable kind. But as crows have moved into towns and cities, they've become more sociable (probably a good strategy for finding food and finding a mate) and have developed social hierarchies. This is just within the last twenty years or so, which is remarkably rapid. But crows, as has been said, are amazingly good learners and experimenters, so they've found a niche quickly and successfully.

As you can probably tell, I love 'em :)