Royal Mail stole my package

prisilla

Wtf! I preordered a computer game for my daughter. It was supposed to be delivered on Friday 25th Oct. Nothing. Waited on Saturday. Nothing, until I checked the tracking from Royal Mail. It said it had been delivered.My daughter ran to the letter box, no game. Called Royal Mail who said they would investigate and get back to me. I had to call them back today as I had not heard from them. The manager of the Peckham sorting office told the call centre that as it was raining on Saturday the gps wasn?t working so there is no way he can check.Nonsense!!! Now they say I have to contact the sender and get them to put in a claim.Not happy.

It's good to know that Helen Hayes is the Member of Parliament for Dulwich and West Norwood, I will be contacting her to find out what she is doing about the more than 3.000 tree cut down in East Dulwich in the last 2 years they published on our local magazine!

Never had a problem with parcels going missing and I get a lot. I'm a great believer in getting to know your Postie(s) and being on a first name basis with them. They tell me what's happening and are really obliging about deliveries.

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> that's quite an accusation. I've had things

> dropped with a neighbour. PO will record it as

> having been delivered. Have you checked with

> yours?

There have been problems before discussed on here - can't remember when.

In my case once someone followed the postman around pulling bank letters back that hadn't been pushed completely through - not sure how he got into our block. If parcels are left outside there must be a chance they'll be taken

prisilla Wrote:

> When they checked the postman said it had been

> delivered to my addressBut they can?t check it

> because conveniently the gps doesn?t work in the

> rain.

If the postman had delivered it to the wrong address, he wouldn't have done that on purpose (I imagine) so if asked he would say he had delivered it to your address!

I had a spate of getting letters either for neighbours or else people with my house number but in a different road.

I agree being on good terms with your postie is really helpful. Mine recently took away a package when I was out and didn't leave a card, but delivered it the next day. He said he didn't want me having to collect it from Peckham (bless!)

I suggest you contact Royal Mail and make a complaint, but I don't suppose they are open over the weekend:

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/contact

ETA: I don't think you should be accusing Royal Mail (or presumably one employee of theirs) of "stealing" your package when it doesn't seem as if you have any evidence for this.

As suggested above, have you asked neighbours if they have it? I recently took in a parcel for a neighbour. When she hadn't collected it in several days, I took it round to her. She had no idea I had it as the postie hadn't left a card.

This also happened around the same time with a different neighbour.

Same happened to us on the same day. My son waited in all day on Friday 25 for a package from Game that was on a tracked 24 through Royal Mail. Tracking info said it was due for delivery by 3pm but that it was still in the depot. On Saturday the tracking info said it was scanned and out for delivery by just after 6am and was delivered at 6:45am. We've checked with neighbours and behind the bins, no joy. No note was put through the door to say it had been left with a neighbour which they should do according to their policy.

We contacted RM and they told us we had to contact Game, which we did and they opened up an investigation. Yesterday Game got in contact and told us that RM assured them it had been delivered and definitely to our address. Now, either it was delivered to a completely different street and that person couldn't be bothered to drop it round, it got mislaid by RM or someone stole it. Those of you thinking this doesn't go on have your heads in the sand. I know someone that was laid off by RM for stealing stuff from Basingstoke sorting office. As far as I can see nobody has blamed the postie, but there are plenty of people who may be tempted to make a bit of money on the side given how tight money is with the shambles that is Brexit.

We spoke to our postman on Saturday morning and he said that as far as he was aware the vans don't deliver as early as 6:45 and in all my years working from home the earliest I've ever seen one round here was around 8:45am, so something fishy definitely seems to be going on. Maybe just RM covering their arses and trying to shift the blame for their mistakes onto the customer.

What a coincidence that my package was from GAME also. Checked with neighbours and they haven?t got it either. I have neighbours where we take deliveries for each other. Been in touch with GAME and they are now investigating. This isn?t a one off with Royal Mail.

Whilst there have been spates of thefts in the past, these have tended to be of easily portable items (cheque books, bank cards etc.) - which a postie could readily conceal or pass on to a third party - parcels are much more bulky and difficult to dispose of (and vans coming from Peckham often carry a couple of posties to an area, requiring therefore some sort of conspiracy).

I would be tempted to lean down the route of cock-up therefore - though clearly a recorded delivery time of 06:45 does seem odd. However it's so odd that too might be a function of dodgy equipment rather than dodgy people. I had a delivery in the rain and the postie was really struggling to get the reader to work. Some indeed I know 'pre-read' items in the van (where it's dry) - which they shouldn't do of course - but which has some logic to it without implying criminality.

Obviously you haven't got the parcel you expected (and paid for) which is frustrating, annoying and will put you to extra effort. But to leap to a criminal conclusion so rapidly is perhaps a little precipitate.

but there are plenty of people who may be tempted to make a bit of money on the side given how tight money is with the shambles that is Brexit.

And whatever bad things Brexit brings - it is not the current cause of economic problems - mainly because it hasn't yet happened. To blame current thefts (if indeed it was a theft) on Brexit caused hardship (posties are, by definition, employed, and not badly paid although clearly they would like more) is going further than any facts would support. I don't know how much your kit cost you, but thieves get at best 10% of the face value of items stolen - which I'm guessing ain't that much, for the effort and risk.

Of course some Royal Mail employees are dishonest, as in every workplace I imagine.

It is possible that this game was stolen.

But jumping to conclusions without proof is not terribly helpful.

I used to work for Royal Mail. They always investigate incidents of possible theft, always prosecute, and also publicise in their employee newspaper when people are found guilty, presumably to deter others who think they can get away with it.

Patterns of lost items are obviously helpful in identifying particular people to investigate.

I?m glad other people are talking up about this. My son had a game being delivered from GAME. I was working from home on the 8th of October when Royal Mail tracked the parcel as delivered to my address. Nothing arrived. GAME is still investigating we are still without the game ordered or the cash that was paid for it. I?ve had so much mail go missing for over a year now. I had a parcel tracked as being delivered to my neighbour opposite who I trust completely and she had no parcel for me. I complained to Royal Mail who just sent me an email saying there was nothing they can do. With the most recent missing parcel they just told me to contact the company I ordered the product with as if it is tracked as being delivered then it has been delivered!! I now dread if anything is due to come by Royal Mail as the chances are you aren?t going to receive it. The postman even gave my son a parcel saying it was for him he took it and when I looked at it was for someone 3 doors down. That situation only got sorted as I put a note through a neighbours door to say I had it. I?m so fed up of the postal service now. That being said I think I?m very unlucky as I had an amazon parcel that was to be signed for left behind a bin apparently. I only went out for 15 minutes and that went missing. I also had a Fed Ex parcel delivered to a wrong address too. Anyone on Ulverscroft rd if you have a parcel delivered to you that has not been collected pls could you attempt delivery to the correct address as I have no idea where my parcel has been delivered but it certainly wasn?t at my address!

i stopped a man walking away with my amazon parcels which were left under the gas meter by the amazon delivery agent, just few weeks back. it was saturday, i was on the way to drop my kid to nearby music school and saw the parcels, thinking, when i am back i will take them inside.

when i returned, i could see this man East European man, black round neck T-Shirt, Gold necklace chain, picking 3 amazon parcels and walking towards a white van. i stoppd and enquired, he got frazlled and started behaving as if he couldn't understand, so i polietly asked him to leave the parcel on the door. he quickly obliged and drove off. here is the picture of the van and its Reg number. i raised entire episode to Amazon and they said they will invesitgate with their delivery partners. nothing came back from them. i am pretty sure this wouldnt be an isolated incident on busy Lordship Lane road.

I had exactly the same thing as OP & Frenchpolisher - almost word for word- I'm assuming we all pre-ordered Modern Warfare (the game). Same pattern of delivery, phone calls to RM, excuses etc. I'm waiting on a formal letter of explanation at which point I'm told I can escalate. To be honest I suspected at it's a high value product it had been stolen and the silly excuse of "it had been raining so the PDQ weren't working" only compounded my suspicion.

I've had this with amazon on countless occasions but was very surprised that it had happened through RM, when I flagged this they said that if that was the case there would be a pattern of theft and that's not the case.

I may DM those of you who had the same thing happen if that's ok, as I think a point should be made to RM that clearly parcel theft (and by the looks of it targeted to an item) is happening.

Just spoken to Royal Mail as a follow up based on other folks experience, they've asked for a link/pictures to this page.

They're obviously only going on what their systems says, but at this point it's a computer says "no" - we can't do anymore so contact the police.

If those affected want to DM me, I'm happy to get the ball rolling, although it feels like a gross waste of Police time, just a shame RM can't do more to help- doesn't look good for Christmas!

Mahoody Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > That's ridiculous.

> >

> > Surely they need a signature as proof of

> delivery.

>

> Why did you say "That's ridiculous"?

>

> You obviously have not had a deliver from Amazon

> recently.

>

> I get many deliveries from Amazon and no signature

> was required. Yodel however do still take a

> signature. Should you want an accurate appraisal

> of the various courier companies, then just PM me.

I try not to use Amazon, but I have had deliveries from them. I can't remember who was the courier and whether they wanted a signature.

I've just had a parcel from Hermes, who did require a signature.

The other side of this issue is that some people claim they have not receive items when they have.

I understand that this has been a particular problem with eBay. It has put me off selling anything on eBay, as I have read that eBay always sides with the buyer. I don't know if that is true.

The guy the cuts our hair at Porters had the same thing happen apparently (assuming he?s not one of the posters here). I can?t believe that Royal Mail can treat these all as one off cases, there?s obviously a pattern. I?m happy to be involved in any escalation.

I had another game from the Game Collection not turn up today as expected. It was due via standard mail, not tracked, so may just be late, but I?m obviously concerned.

To the person that thinks these parcels would be hard to steal, they come in a DVD case. They fit through my tiny Victorian post box and would fit in the pocket of my winter coat, so not exactly hard to steal if someone wanted to. Maybe there is some other cock-up responsible, but given we were told categorically that the package was delivered to our house and it wasn?t, something fishy is definitely going on.