Forum Sponsors

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening

www.no-flies.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageGeneral Election Hustings
Posted by alnmr November 01, 07:39AM

Does anyone know if there is a Hustings scheduled ahead of the General Election for the Dulwich and West Norwood seat?

messageRe: General Election Hustings
Posted by CarnellCommunication November 01, 11:17AM

Camberwell and Peckham (Harriet Harman) may not even need one. If she wins the contest to be the new speaker, convention dictates that other main parties won't run against her.

Posted by nxjen November 01, 11:31AM

But these are unconventional times

Posted by MarkT November 01, 11:33AM

The East Dulwich Community Centre generally hosts a hustings. Currently looking at the bookings diary to see what slots might be available and contacting the main parties. We will contact each candidate as soon as names are announced to discuss dates.
MarkT

Posted by alnmr November 01, 01:15PM

MarkT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The East Dulwich Community Centre generally hosts
> a hustings. Currently looking at the bookings
> diary to see what slots might be available and
> contacting the main parties. We will contact each
> candidate as soon as names are announced to
> discuss dates.
> MarkT

Thanks Mark! Iíll look out for details

Posted by kristymac1 November 01, 02:31PM

CarnellCommunication Wrote:
> Camberwell and Peckham (Harriet Harman) may not
> even need one. If she wins the contest to be the
> new speaker, convention dictates that other main
> parties won't run against her.

Momentum were (still are?) applying pressure on Harman to not stand for Speaker or to accept Labour putting a different candidate in place to run against her (as she will be an Independent as Speaker)for the C&P seat. It's all about the numbers - if she is successful in her stand for Speaker and her seat goes uncontested (as is convention) then Labour loses a previously 'guaranteed' seat.

Posted by Townleygreen November 01, 06:17PM

though the convention is that the main parties take it in turns to provide the speaker, so it should be Labour's turn. But that isn't a cast iron rule by any means.

Posted by CarnellCommunication November 07, 12:01PM

So interestingly today the LibDems, Greens and Plaid announced their remain alliance.

Dulwich and West Norwood was one of the seats.

So the LibDems are stepping aside here to give the Greens a free run.

Posted by alice November 07, 12:09PM

Wonít make a lot of difference - labour is so strong here

Posted by nxjen November 07, 12:14PM

If Helen Hayes wasnít such a good local MP, Iíd be very tempted to vote Green but not for the LibDems. I would probably not vote Green knowing they were in alliance with the LibDems. Itís all very complicated.

Posted by Bic Basher November 07, 12:26PM

I'm a Lib Dem member and as they're standing down for the Green's co-leader Jonathan Hartley, I'll be supporting him instead.

As for Helen Hayes, I can't fault her excellent work as our local MP, but I can't vote for a party where they have so many internal issues and can't decide if they're for Remain or not.

Posted by Administrator November 07, 12:27PM

Please keep this on topic: "General Election Hustings"

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by MarkT November 07, 02:34PM

Hustings at the East Dulwich Community Centre, Darrell Road SE22 9NL
Friday 29th November 11am to 1pm

MarkT

Posted by Siduhe November 07, 02:42PM

Thanks Mark - I don't suppose any chance of a livestream for those of us that have to be in the office at that time?

Posted by MarkT November 08, 09:42AM

Siduhe,
Livestreaming the Hustings. The EDCC management group does not have have the skills or technology. The second requirement, of course, is the permission of participants.

Following your prompt, we are raising both questions with the candidates. I think as of yesterday only 2 were announced.

If anyone reading this has the technical wherewithals and availability on the day, please get in touch: edcc2010@gmail.com

Posted by Siduhe November 08, 12:57PM

Quote:
MarkT
Siduhe,
Livestreaming the Hustings. The EDCC management group does not have have the skills or technology. The second requirement, of course, is the permission of participants. Following your prompt, we are raising both questions with the candidates. I think as of yesterday only 2 were announced.

If anyone reading this has the technical wherewithals and availability on the day, please get in touch:

Mark, first thanks for this and for the effort in getting the hustings to happen.

In terms of livestreaming, does anyone attending have an Instagram account - just set the phone up somewhere near to the candidates, hit Stories and click the LIVE option. You could even set up an EDCC Insta account just for this and then shut it down afterwards so it wasn't being misused. If I could get out of the office I'd happily do it for you but hopefully someone there might use live stories already and be familiar.

Posted by TE44 November 12, 02:40PM

Great this is being organised Mark T unfortunately the time is going to limit attendance. Would be fantastic if it can be recorded. Is there any way questions can be asked for those who cant make it.
Sorry edited to be clearer.a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 12, 06:45pm by TE44.

Posted by Pugwash November 12, 06:46PM

I think that the off timing of the Hustings at the Community Centre is due in part to the candidates time table.

Posted by TE44 November 13, 10:16AM

Pugwash Do you know if this is a common occurence, I would have thought, considering it may not ba a huge turnout, the candidates would find a space where as many people as possible gets a chance to come. I have only been once at the hustings in the community centre, and there was not a big crowd. With all the chaos within government, local candidates should be calling themselves to meet us, instead of finding the best available slot for us.

Posted by TE44 November 13, 10:24AM

Mark T, thanks for organising this, is this the case that the times are to fit in with candidates timetables. Can you tell us who has got back to you and the candidates who have agreed to come. It would be interesting to know. Thanks

Posted by Pugwash November 13, 01:39PM

The daytime timetable may attract parents at home, older people not wanting to go out in the dark, some students?

Admit the last Hustings at the Centre was not as well attended as previous. When Tessa Jowell was MP the attendance was high. The local elections hustings have been more variable and the ward changes may have added to a poor turnout.

Posted by TE44 November 14, 10:41AM

Pugwash, do you know if leafleting is done for hustings? Is any help needed. Is there a group of people in the community centre organise this.
Mark T Is there any confirmation on candidates who are attending? I have only found out this is organised by the community not local council. Thank you.

messageRe: General Election Hustingsattachment
Posted by MarkT November 14, 05:30PM

Helen Hayes and Jonathan Bartley are coming. I don't know how much they are publicising. The attached is being posted on the Community noticeboards, and some networks are spreading the word.
MarkT

Attachments: Hustings 2019.docx (12.3KB)  
Posted by TE44 November 15, 12:05PM

Thanks Mark T, it will be interesting to see
When and how the candidates publicise the event.

Posted by MarkT November 15, 03:14PM

6 candidates standing. All are being invited.

[democraticdashboard.com]

Posted by MarkT November 15, 03:28PM

TE44,
The 11am to 1pm time slot, was chosen in discussion with Helen Hayes and the conservative party to suit their timetables. The EDCC had offered a Friday evening; the group who uses the Centre on Friday evenings had agreed to step aside to free up that slot.

Jonathan Bartley later responded and agreed to that time. The other, newly announce candidates are being invited.

MarkT

Posted by MarkT November 15, 03:35PM

The turnout for the EDCC Hustings, last time, was disappointing, much reduced from previous elections, Westminster or local. That was an evening event. Perhaps the daytime slot will attract some older people or parents with young children. No time would suit everyone.

If you have questions to submit in advance, please send to edcc2010@gmail.com
MarkT

Posted by Listener21 November 15, 08:20PM

I am concerned that the time might to be suitable. I am a student and I will be in uni during the 11-1pm and most people will be at work, or making important appointment. I understand the timing might suits Helen Haynes and the Conservative candidate, but I think the focus on the electorate.

I undertand the candidates might be busy, but the husting should be a forum for voters as well? Our needs should also be considered. I think an evening hustings would better especially if its a friday. Can I suggest any time after 4.30?

Posted by Ontherun November 16, 07:41PM

MarkT Wrote:
> Hustings at the East Dulwich Community Centre,
> Darrell Road SE22 9NL
> Friday 29th November 11am to 1pm
>
> MarkT

Thanks MarkT - can we just turn up or do we need to book?

Posted by Pugwash November 17, 01:52PM

Hustings at both general and local elections tend to happen in more than one venue - I recall at the last general election that there were at least another four venues at different times/dates around the constituency. These are generally organised by other interest groups i.e businesses/shopkeepers/local discussion groups etc. If you cannot make the EDCCA hustings there is bound to be another somewhere in the area.

Hustings are open to all and do not require booking.

Each party organisers their own publicity and canvassing - they tend to undertake a specific area and flood them with volunteers delivering leaflets and door knocking, then move onto another defined area. If you have shown interest in the past - you may get email communications.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum