General Election Hustings

alnmr

The East Dulwich Community Centre generally hosts a hustings. Currently looking at the bookings diary to see what slots might be available and contacting the main parties. We will contact each candidate as soon as names are announced to discuss dates.

MarkT

MarkT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The East Dulwich Community Centre generally hosts

> a hustings. Currently looking at the bookings

> diary to see what slots might be available and

> contacting the main parties. We will contact each

> candidate as soon as names are announced to

> discuss dates.

> MarkT

Thanks Mark! I?ll look out for details

CarnellCommunication Wrote:

> Camberwell and Peckham (Harriet Harman) may not

> even need one. If she wins the contest to be the

> new speaker, convention dictates that other main

> parties won't run against her.

Momentum were (still are?) applying pressure on Harman to not stand for Speaker or to accept Labour putting a different candidate in place to run against her (as she will be an Independent as Speaker)for the C&P seat. It's all about the numbers - if she is successful in her stand for Speaker and her seat goes uncontested (as is convention) then Labour loses a previously 'guaranteed' seat.

I'm a Lib Dem member and as they're standing down for the Green's co-leader Jonathan Hartley, I'll be supporting him instead.

As for Helen Hayes, I can't fault her excellent work as our local MP, but I can't vote for a party where they have so many internal issues and can't decide if they're for Remain or not.

Bic Basher Wrote:

>

> As for Helen Hayes, I can't fault her excellent

> work as our local MP, but I can't vote for a party

> where they have so many internal issues and can't

> decide if they're for Remain or not.

Apologies to Admin, but I can't let this pass without comment, sorry!

Labour's position is that they will negotiate a new (presumably better) Brexit deal and then put that specific deal to a referendum. The referendum will include the option to vote to remain in the EU.

Given that the country voted in the last referendum for Brexit (albeit by a very slim majority and on the basis of lies and misinformation and not knowing what deal would actually be proposed) Labour wants to be seen to abide by that democratic vote, and therefore can't come out for remain.

Nevertheless it is quite possible that if they get in and there is a second referendum as outlined above, remain may win the day.

Oh please ......

And I expect this will be a topic for discussion at the hustings on 29 November!! To bring things back on topic here !!!

Sue Wrote:

> Bic Basher Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > As for Helen Hayes, I can't fault her excellent

> > work as our local MP, but I can't vote for a

> party

> > where they have so many internal issues and

> can't

> > decide if they're for Remain or not.

>

>

> Apologies to Admin, but I can't let this pass

> without comment, sorry!

>

> Labour's position is that they will negotiate a

> new (presumably better) Brexit deal and then put

> that specific deal to a referendum. The referendum

> will include the option to vote to remain in the

> EU.

>

> Given that the country voted in the last

> referendum for Brexit (albeit by a very slim

> majority and on the basis of lies and

> misinformation and not knowing what deal would

> actually be proposed) Labour wants to be seen to

> abide by that democratic vote, and therefore can't

> come out for remain.

>

> Nevertheless it is quite possible that if they get

> in and there is a second referendum as outlined

> above, remain may win the day.

>

> Oh please ......

>

> And I expect this will be a topic for discussion

> at the hustings on 29 November!! To bring things

> back on topic here !!!

But they didn't come out for Remain (considering Corbyn has been on the record numerous times in his career as being anti-EU), Labour were offered a place in the Unite for Remain alliance which they brushed off.

Now I don't think for one minute that Hayes is an anti semite or a leave supporter, but her party is full of Momentum supporters who are of the far-left, so while most middle class Dulwichites will blindly vote for Helen based on her local work, the national party is nothing short of a mess.

As I said .... they didn't come out for remain because the referendum had more votes for leave.

I am a member of the Labour Party. I go to local meetings. I would not describe any of us as "far left".

Where have you got this stuff from?

Siduhe,

Livestreaming the Hustings. The EDCC management group does not have have the skills or technology. The second requirement, of course, is the permission of participants.

Following your prompt, we are raising both questions with the candidates. I think as of yesterday only 2 were announced.

If anyone reading this has the technical wherewithals and availability on the day, please get in touch: [email protected]

I totally agree with Bic Basher. Lack of Lib Dems is a real problem for me.

Do you choose the Nasty Tory Party or the Nasty Labour Party? The fact that Helen Hayes isn?t in that nasty Momentum faction is helpful but it?s still ultimately a vote for a party led by it. Hardly worth a hustings if it?s between those 2 parties.

With 69% for Hayes at the last election it?s clear what the result will be anyway but it?s depressing. Might have to stand myself as the Spoil Your Vote candidate :-)

Well if you're even considering voting for Johnson & co and the horrors they will unleash, its only a short step away to giving your vote to the increasingly nasty Lib Dems who, apart from Brexit, are basically Tory lite if you take a look at their past voting record. All parties have major differences within currently but surely at the very least the LP manifesto sets out a path to a brave and fairer future for more than the few? Who, apart from the 1% doesnt want that?

Siduhe,

Livestreaming the Hustings. The EDCC management group does not have have the skills or technology. The second requirement, of course, is the permission of participants. Following your prompt, we are raising both questions with the candidates. I think as of yesterday only 2 were announced.

If anyone reading this has the technical wherewithals and availability on the day, please get in touch: [email protected]

Mark, first thanks for this and for the effort in getting the hustings to happen.

In terms of livestreaming, does anyone attending have an Instagram account - just set the phone up somewhere near to the candidates, hit Stories and click the LIVE option. You could even set up an EDCC Insta account just for this and then shut it down afterwards so it wasn't being misused. If I could get out of the office I'd happily do it for you but hopefully someone there might use live stories already and be familiar.

cella Wrote:

All parties have

> major differences within currently but surely at

> the very least the LP manifesto sets out a path to

> a brave and fairer future for more than the few?

> Who, apart from the 1% doesnt want that?

Exactly.

Pugwash Do you know if this is a common occurence, I would have thought, considering it may not ba a huge turnout, the candidates would find a space where as many people as possible gets a chance to come. I have only been once at the hustings in the community centre, and there was not a big crowd. With all the chaos within government, local candidates should be calling themselves to meet us, instead of finding the best available slot for us.