Dulwich hamlet fish bar

paulu197

Yes we know owner, sadly its case owner lease wanting to charge an extra ?8000 a year in rent so they had no choice but close there buisness.

Shop owner did say he looking for cheaper premises after a well deserved break.

They did try negotiating but no luck.

The food was very good quality. Plus good prices.

Its so sad that someones livelihood has come to an end.

The local chip shop has been a staple on any high street since the 70s and many chip shops are stuck there.

But saying that I love a good fish&chip dinner with a gherkin that i can pick up for ?8 ish. But a business can not survive on the few people like me. If we look at the demographic of people in the area and also the vast number of food establishments and the ease of deliveroo, people are spoilt for choice and many don't bat an eye at spending ?50 on a take out on some artisan meal with a side of smashed avocado and goji berries ;).

Sad but a sign of the times.

herne hilly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Its so sad that someones livelihood has come to an

> end.

> The local chip shop has been a staple on any high

> street since the 70s and many chip shops are stuck

> there.

> But saying that I love a good fish&chip dinner

> with a gherkin that i can pick up for ?8 ish. But

> a business can not survive on the few people like

> me. If we look at the demographic of people in the

> area and also the vast number of food

> establishments and the ease of deliveroo, people

> are spoilt for choice and many don't bat an eye at

> spending ?50 on a take out on some artisan meal

> with a side of smashed avocado and goji berries

> ;).

> Sad but a sign of the times.

Don't be ridiculous, everyone knows that Goji berries don't go with smashed avocado. Next thing you'll be suggesting I pair my quinoa with my oat-milk macchiato.....

There are still (good) fish and chip shops readily accessible from ED - fewer perhaps than in the past, but that reflects a much wider choice generally of food outlets. But where you have relatively low price items you need high sales volumes to meet fixed costs (rent, rates etc.) in 'pricey' areas. ED (Lordship Lane) is one of those. So necessary expenditures need to be around the ?25 a head mark to cost in and provide a profitable business, even for a take-away business with relatively low overheads compared with an eat-in establishment.

Guys...this fish and chip shop was terrible. Aside from the location the food was often sitting for hours and wasn't prepared with any real thought. It was the worst chips I've ever had in East Dulwich in the 15 years I've lived here. Pretty much any of the others were better. Sema's was very decent recently. As was Ken's near Herne Hill

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Technically Skate don't have bones, it's

> cartilage. They belong (with other rays and

> sharks) to the cartilaginous, not the bony, fish.

> But I do know what you mean!

I love Skate.

I always eat the cartilage :)

But probably won't be eating it again now I'm plant based (in case anybody picks me up on it :)) )

The fish with bones I bought was sold as cod pieces, three for a fiver which I bought because they were already cooked. Which brings me into a pet hate, having to wait for fish, chips or both to be cooked even at peak times and all the local shops do this.

Years ago the fish was cooked and waiting for customers and the chips fried by the ton and not to order, brown and crispy not half cooked and white. The fish batter is soggy because it hasn?t crisped up and I?m sure a lot of them are selling Pollack as Cod.

Don?t get me going on saveloys.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely guy and super friendly, but sadly its fair to say that the quality had declined bit by bit since it first opened and as such, it became a place I'd stopped going in.

I think Hamlets being away for a while hindered it and costs stayed at a level while freshness and quality got poorer. Real shame as back in its first year it was really quite decent.

Hope they find somewhere and can keep a good standard.