Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.hensonsecurity.com

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageNew e-vecicle charging points on Townley Road
Posted by Nigello November 04, 01:58PM

There are about six or seven dedicated parking spots/charging points. Is it for the teachers, perhaps, or is there a large number of e-vehicles in that part of SE22?

messageRe: New e-vecicle charging points on Townley Road
Posted by mikeb November 04, 02:01PM

I think it's one way of reducing parking spaces available for pupils / teachers without there being the same criticism as if these were replaced by residents or yellow lines

Posted by nxjen November 04, 02:14PM

Nigello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are about six or seven dedicated parking
> spots/charging points. Is it for the teachers,
> perhaps, or is there a large number of e-vehicles
> in that part of SE22?

Perhaps it's a case of it they build it they will come

Posted by Nigello November 04, 02:36PM

It is a better idea than having lamp posts that double as charging points but with no dedicated -vehicle bay next to them, which means that anyone can park, thus depriving the e-thirsty leccy car of a power source. (There are a few of these raound SE22.)

Posted by herne hilly November 04, 06:18PM

what will the restrictions be on them, the new bays i have seen in se24 are 4 hr max stay so fairly useless if you are a teacher or commuter, as you would have to move after this time. And if roads are going to have parking restrictions anyway, i can't see people flocking to use them.

Posted by bob November 04, 08:34PM

Where will the coaches park now Bob S

Posted by edbloke November 05, 08:53AM

Iíve noticed those charging points and wondered the logic of positioning a cluster of them together on what must be the least populated street in se22...
I guess itís cheaper to install them in groups but one charging point on different streets in the area, each with a dedicated parking space, would surely benefit more residents and the environment.

Posted by nxjen November 05, 08:57AM

It makes sense installing a cluster of them there as because there are relatively few residents in the road there is less call for ordinary parking spaces.

Posted by TheArtfulDogger November 05, 08:59AM

The cynic in me says they are for health workers vehicles from the townley road clinic

If my assumption is right residents won't be able to use them as council vehicles will be hooked up to them over night

Just a wild guess mind 🤔

Posted by nxjen November 05, 09:54AM

Townley Road Clinic isnít Council run and in any case wouldnít those who work at the clinic need their cars to get home rather than leaving them charging at their place of work overnight? Anyone who leaves a non electric car in a charging bay or even an electric car that is not charging is liable to a ticket.

Posted by mikeb November 05, 04:32PM

Not sure how cheap these were to install: they needed to dig up the road to reach the power cables on the other side of the road

Posted by rahrahrah November 05, 04:52PM

edbloke Wrote:
> Iíve noticed those charging points and wondered
> the logic of positioning a cluster of them
> together on what must be the least populated
> street in se22...
> I guess itís cheaper to install them in groups but
> one charging point on different streets in the
> area, each with a dedicated parking space, would
> surely benefit more residents and the environment.

^This. Call me a cynic, but it seems a bit of a tick box (i.e. "we've installed X number of new charging points"). No one is going to park any significant distance from their home and so it would make much more sense to spread them across a number of streets.

Posted by spider69 November 05, 05:13PM

nxjen Wrote:
> Townley Road Clinic isnít Council run and in any
> case wouldnít those who work at the clinic need
> their cars to get home rather than leaving them
> charging at their place of work overnight? Anyone
> who leaves a non electric car in a charging bay or
> even an electric car that is not charging is
> liable to a ticket.

I suspect this is closer to the truth.

Posted by Asset November 09, 10:06AM

Do e-vehicles pay to charge at these places?

Posted by GrahamP November 09, 12:47PM

I pass there quite often and see they are now lit up and, I assume, ready for use.
Has anyone seen them actually being used yet?

Posted by Tara November 09, 12:56PM

I used one last night. Great to have some reliable charging points with dedicated parking. I ďfilled upĒ for £10

Posted by herne hilly November 09, 10:00PM

the 5 installed around us are never all in use, the most i have seen is 2 out of the 5 being used.
i believe you have to pay a membership also ?
how much running around the local area will that £10 last for?

Posted by Tara November 10, 05:27PM

You can join for a tenner to get a cheaper rate but can also pay as you go too. In my e-golf a full charge will do about 125 miles in summer , around 100 in winter with the heating on

Posted by Townleygreen November 11, 10:35AM

Running costs, in terms of fuel or electricity, are far cheaper using an EV.
Some of the latest can do over 250 miles on a charge.

Posted by herne hilly November 11, 06:45PM

but you do need the intial funds to buy an EV.
think the cheapest ev on the market is £8k and the egolf is £21k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 11, 06:52pm by herne hilly.

Posted by Townleygreen November 11, 08:24PM

there are some great ones used though

Posted by hammerman November 11, 10:54PM

I noticed there were some five or six covered up funny station things on Elmwood Road, SE24 over a month ago when driving through Red Post Hill. They had a white plastic cover up on them for weeks and guessed they were e-points but had no news of these appearing in the local area.

Posted by herne hilly November 12, 09:07AM

hammerman Wrote:
> I noticed there were some five or six covered up
> funny station things on Elmwood Road, SE24 over a
> month ago when driving through Red Post Hill.
> They had a white plastic cover up on them for
> weeks and guessed they were e-points but had no
> news of these appearing in the local area.

Its true they were covered for about a month but they are now live and working.
they are from [www.sourcelondon.net]
here are the prices for those interested [www.sourcelondon.net]
its been very noticeable in terms of parking, removing about 20 metres of parking has made it much harder to park in daytime hours.

Posted by rahrahrah November 12, 02:42PM

I walk that way regularly and am yet to see any of them in use.
Glad that they're part of a private scheme and not tax payer funded (i would hope council ones would be more sensibly distributed).

Posted by sally buying November 12, 02:55PM

Do these people pay Southwark to take away parking from residents?

Is this yet another cash raising exercise slipping in under the radar?

Posted by micromacromonkey November 13, 10:51AM

I don't have an electric car but I wholeheartedly support the implementation of these. If it makes it slightly more difficult to park my diesel car then I will just deal with that in the knowledge that it's a penalty for my continuing air pollution.

(I do 6000 miles a year on my bike and only about 2000 in the car so not much point in me buying an electric one right now, even with the ULEZ coming in.)

Posted by micromacromonkey November 13, 10:54AM

It's interesting that people are simultaneously complaining that the council (or whoever... e-car illuminati?) are wasting money by installing them yet saving money by cynically installing them next to each other.

Posted by rahrahrah November 13, 01:34PM

I wholehartedly support the installation of more charging points. I just think they should be distributed more widely / across different streets where possible, where the demand is (rather than in banks away from people's houses). If it's a private enterprise however, then I guess it's up to them. I can't imagine many people are going to park too far from their house though, so seems like a weird approach.

Posted by malumbu November 13, 01:56PM

Its good to see that at least two of you support this. I expect many posting here hardly ever use their cars so would be better off using car clubs, cabs and public transport. It's happening (electrification) so get used to it. For further information here are some of the commitments from last year's Road to Zero Strategy. There will be consultation at local and national levels so you have your chance to have your say. eg [www.gov.uk] and [roadsafetygb.org.uk]

Road to Zero Strategy

26.Launching a £400 million Charging Infrastructure Investment Fund to help accelerate charging infrastructure deployment.

27.Taking powers through the Automated and Electric Vehicles Bill to ensure:●●that chargepoints are available at motorway service areas and large fuel retailers; ●●that chargepoints are easily accessed and used across the UK. This includes powers to provide a uniform method of accessing public chargepoints and refuelling points; make certain information publicly available in an open and transparent format and set reliability standards; and ●●that chargepoints are smart ready by giving government powers to set requirements prohibiting the sale or installation of chargepoints unless they meet certain requirements.

28.Ensuring the houses we build in the coming years are electric vehicle ready. It is our intention that all new homes, where appropriate, should have a chargepoint available. We plan to consult as soon as possible on introducing a requirement for chargepoint infrastructure for new dwellings in England where appropriate.

29.Future-proofing our streets. We want all new street lighting columns to include charging points, where appropriately located, in areas with current on-street parking provision.

30.Continuing to provide grant support through the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) until March 2019, with installations becoming smart enabled.

31.Increasing the grant level of the Workplace Charging Scheme from £300 per socket to 75% of the purchase and installation costs of a chargepoint capped at a maximum of £500 per socket.

32.Reviewing the provision of residential chargepoint infrastructure for those who have communal parking facilities, or do not own their own home, as part of the Law Commissionís work to review and reinvigorate the commonhold tenure in England and Wales.

33.Investing £4.5 million in the On-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme until 2020.

34.Consulting in summer 2018 on a proposal to increase the height limit for the Permitted Development Right in England for the installation of electric vehicle chargepoints in designated off-street parking spaces.

35.Ensuring local planning policies incorporate facilities for charging electric vehicles via the National Planning Policy Framework.36.Consulting on amending Building Regulations to require relevant charging provision in new non-residential buildings.

Posted by Nigello November 13, 02:21PM

Electric vehicles are good, but they still cause congestion. Simply replacing all our diesel/petrol/hybrid vehicles with them won't solved the pain of traffic jams and high car-pedstrian/cyclist/biker ratio. So, if you must drive, just have one or join a car club.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum