Catalytic convertor theft

mrsjones

My Honda CRV had its cat stolen today at 2pm in the car park at Belair park. Many people were in the car park at the time, and several people assumed it was the owner fixing their own car as it was so brazen. I have no number plate to share, but be aware of people jacking up cars or going underneath them!

Belair car park has no cameras, so it's not as safe for cars as it seems.

Thinking of getting a cat lock on my next one...if anyone has one please let me know which brand of lock you have and who fitted it.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that, what a pain. Last week I chased off (well, banged on the window) a group of 3 men who were attempting to get at the bottom of a Mitsubishi SUV parked outside my house in ED for the same reason. They stopped in the middle of the road, stopping traffic, to do it but scarpered once challenged - quite unbelievable. Three guys in a silver saloon (also didn?t get the plate). Certain vehicles are more vulnerable / in demand I think.

• 2 weeks later...
As a thought, but if you have room in your street to have a choice of parking place, two cars parked closely together and back to back (leaving room in front of each to un-park) would make such thefts far more difficult - and might cause thieves to move on to easier targets. It might have the additional effect of encouraging neighbourly behaviour. As I said, just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We?ve just had our catalytic converter stolen for the third time today from our Lexus. It had a cat lock fitted less than a week ago, so they offer no protection. It was parked in a Dulwich village within a hour it was stolen. They just cut them with angle grinders.

Catalytic converter thefts are on the rise in the last couple of months. I know over 10 people who have had theirs stollen from vehicles which are parked on the road side. Try and avoid parking your cars in quiet places and if you have a driveway or garage, store your vehicle there whilst not in use or overnight. Thieves tend to target Japanese cars as they are the most sought after and very expensive to replace. Honda's being the most popular. It seems the cat locks don't work so they're a waste of money and not cheap to fit.

Unfortunately there isn't really a solution to this problem as cars with alarm systems fitted won't be activated unless the car is physicality moved or broken into so that also doesn't deter thieves.