Forum Sponsors

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by first mate November 09, 09:21PM

If true that is a pretty poor use of public money. Is there anyone who can confirm the cost and whether a council commission? In my view it has no merit whatsoever.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by Seabag November 10, 08:21AM

Donít tell me people get paid to do this stuff?

The thought that Artless Dodger might be encouraged by cash for the rubbish stuff he puts up is mind boggling. Just take a look at the ĎGraffí on the Nunshead by him. It features a Nun, with a wine glass and the contents are blue. You get it, blue + Nun = Blue Nun, you know, Blue Nun wine...ha ha! So witty, it could be a sixth form art project.

But sadly no. An adult with a liquor license actually agreed to let him daub the pub with such nonsense.

For balance, Iím not against most of the street Ďartí here. Even some of the stuff I donít greatly enjoy Iím happy to appreciate others may do so. But I draw the line at the stuff I describe above. Itís pants.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by Sue November 10, 09:33AM

first mate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If true that is a pretty poor use of public money.
> Is there anyone who can confirm the cost and
> whether a council commission? In my view it has no
> merit whatsoever.


Are we still talking about the one in North Cross Road?

I don't think it's finished yet. I sincerely hope not.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by first mate November 10, 10:45AM

Yes Sue, that's the one. As I said I don't want to be negative but went and had a look yesterday and try as I might just could not find anything to like. It looks part creche part Teletubbies. As you say, perhaps not yet finsihed and will be transformed as more work done. Perhaps other people will absolutely adore it and it will become a treasured local landmark- each to their own. But...I am interested in who commissioned it and cost.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by alice November 10, 11:43AM

Funded by council scheme requested by north cross road shops to draw attention to their shops and the market.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by FreyaMikaelson November 10, 11:48AM

Whatever it is it looks like it belongs in a childrens playground.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by first mate November 10, 11:49AM

Presumably not finished then? Guessing NX road market or similar to be inscribed on mural?

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by first mate November 10, 12:01PM

FreyaMikaelson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whatever it is it looks like it belongs in a
> childrens playground.

Perhaps that is how the council view local resident and environs.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by DulwichBorn&Bred November 11, 12:02PM

That design was voted for.....[www.instagram.com]
Not my kind of thing either but at least itís bright. The only positive I can find.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by DulwichFox November 11, 12:41PM

The Money could of been spent on something more beneficial to the local Community.

The Children at Heritage Park Primary School in Peterborough rasised £25,000
to pay for Outside Gym Equipment on their playing field.

https://www.heritageparkschool.co.uk/_includes/images/gallery/95/thumb-IMG_0560.jpghttps://www.heritageparkschool.co.uk/_includes/images/gallery/95/thumb-IMG_0567.jpghttps://www.heritageparkschool.co.uk/_includes/images/gallery/95/thumb-DAL_4808.JPG

If only Southwark Council had more imagination. A similar facility on Goose Green Perhaps.
Not just for children. For adults too.

[www.heritageparkschool.co.uk]

DulwichFox.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by FreyaMikaelson November 11, 12:54PM

I agree with you, DulwichFox.

Also, the mural doesn't look like any of those pictured in the line up on Instagram.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by Sue November 11, 03:34PM

DulwichFox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Money could of been spent on something more
> beneficial to the local Community.
>
> The Children at Heritage Park Primary School in
> Peterborough rasised £25,000
> to pay for Outside Gym Equipment on their playing
> field.
>
> [www.heritageparkschool.co.uk]
> ges/gallery/95/thumb-IMG_0560.jpghttps://www.herit
> ageparkschool.co.uk/_includes/images/gallery/95/th
> umb-IMG_0567.jpghttps://www.heritageparkschool.co.
> uk/_includes/images/gallery/95/thumb-DAL_4808.JPG
>
> If only Southwark Council had more imagination. A
> similar facility on Goose Green Perhaps.
> Not just for children. For adults too.
>
> [www.heritageparkschool.co.uk]
> 3&gcatid=2&albumid=95
>


There is outdoor gym equipment in both Dulwich Park and Peckham Rye Park.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by DulwichFox November 11, 03:41PM

Sue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DulwichFox Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Money could of been spent on something more
> > beneficial to the local Community.
> >
> > The Children at Heritage Park Primary School in
> > Peterborough rasised £25,000
> > to pay for Outside Gym Equipment on their
> playing
> > field.
> >
> >
> [www.heritageparkschool.co.uk]
>
> >
> ges/gallery/95/thumb-IMG_0560.jpghttps://www.herit
>
> >
> ageparkschool.co.uk/_includes/images/gallery/95/th
>
> >
> umb-IMG_0567.jpghttps://www.heritageparkschool.co.
>
> >
> uk/_includes/images/gallery/95/thumb-DAL_4808.JPG
> >
> > If only Southwark Council had more imagination.
> A
> > similar facility on Goose Green Perhaps.
> > Not just for children. For adults too.
> >
> >
> [www.heritageparkschool.co.uk]
>
> > 3&gcatid=2&albumid=95
> >
>
>
> There is outdoor gym equipment in both Dulwich
> Park and Peckham Rye Park.

... and probably in Crystal Palace Park ??? and Possibly in Burgess Park

But not Local in East Dulwich where money was made available

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by nxjen November 11, 04:38PM

I believe the money for the mural came out of the High Street Challenge funding or something similar. Money for fitness equipment for Goose Green, much as it would be well used, would come out of a separate budget.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by i*Rate November 11, 04:58PM

Wish I had Instagram - could have had a chance to vote on the mural. I'm one of these old folks who've lived here nearly 40 years but just have a laptop and dumb 'phone.
Seems a pointless piece of abstract work, could have shown part of local history maybe? Better than a blank wall though.

The one in Bellenden Road is good - local history and figurative colourful work.

But what do i know!?

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by DulwichFox November 11, 05:18PM

I have been following the process of the Mural.
They were trying to paint Small Mauve circles on a Red Semi-Circle but seemed
to be having problems making them round with the paint running down the wall.
They have since painted over them. They do not seem to have a plan.
Making it up as they go along.

These people surely cannot be 'Competent' Artists. Dreadfull

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by Sue November 11, 05:30PM

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That design was voted
> for.....[www.instagram.com]
> gshid=1utzs35pc5ts8
> Not my kind of thing either but at least itís
> bright. The only positive I can find.


Who voted for it? I live nearby, and don't remember being asked to vote.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by Penguin68 November 11, 05:35PM

These people surely cannot be 'Competent' Artists. Dreadfull (sic)

Leonarda da Vinci was reputedly a good artist but was technically crap at fresco painting (viz the deterioration of his Last Supper) - being a good artist and being proficient at mural painting are not necessarily the same thing. And just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not good (or at least accepted as good) art. I can't stand Cy Twombly for instance, - but that's my problem.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by mynamehere November 11, 07:19PM

If you go on this walk I think all will be revealed.anyhow you can ask questions and vent 😉

[www.eventbrite.co.uk]

Dulwich Picture Gallery

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by Sue November 11, 08:00PM

mynamehere Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you go on this walk I think all will be
> revealed.anyhow you can ask questions and vent
> 😉
>
> [www.eventbrite.co.uk]
> kets-80892903853?fbclid=IwAR31ctmLOxH7ylNf6YkVyyZD
> UZRBLu4TapKl93z6--UcBOlSO-dlJ9wPPfU
>
> Dulwich Picture Gallery


I went on one of these walks some years back, with Ingrid Beazley (R.I.P.) and if memory serves it only covered the street art which was based on pictures at the gallery.

It may have changed, of course, but I guess even if it hasn't maybe they will know something about this mural.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by DulwichBorn&Bred November 11, 08:06PM

Apparently anyone could go in any shops on NXR and vote but I didnít even know about it until I stumbled on it by chance online.


Sue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That design was voted
> >
> for.....[www.instagram.com]
>
> > gshid=1utzs35pc5ts8
> > Not my kind of thing either but at least itís
> > bright. The only positive I can find.
>
>
> Who voted for it? I live nearby, and don't
> remember being asked to vote.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by Sue November 11, 08:10PM

DulwichFox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sue Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > DulwichFox Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > The Money could of been spent on something
> more
> > > beneficial to the local Community.
> > >
> > > The Children at Heritage Park Primary School
> in
> > > Peterborough rasised £25,000
> > > to pay for Outside Gym Equipment on their
> > playing
> > > field.
> > >
> > >
> >
> [www.heritageparkschool.co.uk]
>
> >
> > >
> >
> ges/gallery/95/thumb-IMG_0560.jpghttps://www.herit
>
> >
> > >
> >
> ageparkschool.co.uk/_includes/images/gallery/95/th
>
> >
> > >
> >
> umb-IMG_0567.jpghttps://www.heritageparkschool.co.
>
> >
> > >
> >
> uk/_includes/images/gallery/95/thumb-DAL_4808.JPG
> > >
> > > If only Southwark Council had more
> imagination.
> > A
> > > similar facility on Goose Green Perhaps.
> > > Not just for children. For adults too.
> > >
> > >
> >
> [www.heritageparkschool.co.uk]
>
> >
> > > 3&gcatid=2&albumid=95
> > >
> >
> >
> > There is outdoor gym equipment in both Dulwich
> > Park and Peckham Rye Park.
>
> ... and probably in Crystal Palace Park ??? and
> Possibly in Burgess Park
>
> But not Local in East Dulwich where money was made
> available



Dulwich Park and Peckham Rye Park are both within easy walking distance, though!

And those parks are large enough that the outdoor gym equipment doesn't spoil the appearance of the park.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by lillyrose November 12, 02:16PM

£5000 I heard

I'm not a fan.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by Gloves November 12, 04:25PM

I haven't seen it.
Is it all white?

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by alice November 12, 06:28PM

Yes £5000

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by kford November 13, 09:22PM

Just saw it. It's terrible - looks like some try-hard community mural from the '80s. Further proof that asking the public to vote on stuff never works. I'd sooner have the plain wall.

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by DulwichFox November 13, 09:32PM

kford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just saw it. It's terrible - looks like some
> try-hard community mural from the '80s. Further
> proof that asking the public to vote on stuff
> never works. I'd sooner have the plain wall.

I Agree. You cannot beat brick.

If the wrong type of paint has been used then there is a real danger that the wall
will become porous resulting in a serious internal damp problem,

The cost to rectify such a problem will be high.
I believe this is what occurred with the 'Bee' Mural next to The Plough

Foxy

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by first mate November 14, 07:03AM

Slightly surprised Nx shops and shoppers would vote this in. If it had been some sort of signage it would make a bit more sense. It features really bright primary colours and, I think, it looks dreary in our cold, winter light. I wonder if the shop owners like it?

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by nxjen November 14, 11:35AM

I think itís the shop owners who are behind it. It now has a strap line ďNorth Cross Road, colourful shopsĒ Hmmm, bit disappointed itís just a huge advert. Donít have any views on the artistic content but I wondered if they got planning permission?

messageRe: Mural in North Cross Road?
Posted by alice November 14, 11:41AM

Itís southwark CGS funded

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum