Texaco Grove Vale

Clifton

This adds to the list of petrol stations that have closed in and close to SE22 in the last 20 years. Ones I can think of that closed are:

- SG Smith in Dulwich Village (still sold petrol in late 90s, later became just a car showroom, now flats being built)

- Two garages that sold petrol between Goose Green and Peckham Rye (one is now Tesco express, the other flats). A third (Murco) remains on that strip.

- a Texaco just up from Denmark Hill station (now flats)

There was also at least one close to Camberwell New Rd near Camberwell Green, and three on Walworth Road (only one remains)

That change would be strange considering that until a year or so ago the petrol station on East Dulwich Road was a BP before becoming an Esso. Not sure whether these businesses operate under a franchise type model or are owned by the petroleum company.

rjsmall Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That change would be strange considering that

> until a year or so ago the petrol station on East

> Dulwich Road was a BP before becoming an Esso. Not

> sure whether these businesses operate under a

> franchise type model or are owned by the petroleum

> company.

Both.

The one on East Dulwich Road was a BP franchise. When I went in to swap a butane gas canister for a patio gas one they told me I needed to take it to BP New Kent Road as that was the closest 'in-house' BP station which could do this.