Dumping ground Spurling Rd

worldwiser

There's a parking space right at the end of Spurling Rd that, as far as I know, has never seen a car parked in it. Instead, it has become an extremely unpleasant and dangerous dumping ground for all sorts of items - old sofas, boxes, broken glass, old sanitaryware and builder materials. It's a total eyesore and shouldn't be permitted. The council have twice refused to clear it on the grounds it's private land but its an offence to the entire neighbourhood and simply must be sorted out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to force the council to act?

There is a much better dumping ground by Camberwell Old Cemetery, more space, not well overlooked. I dump all my builders waste, mattresses and tyres there. I'm very grateful to the residents of Southwark for providing, particularly as I am just over the way in Lewisham and don't have to travel far, nor does my Council Tax pay for it.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am just over the way in Lewisham

> and don't have to travel far, nor does my Council

> Tax pay for it.

What sort of sorcery is this, a stranger amongst our midst, posting on our sacred forum after crossing the village boundaries , dumping his rubbish on our streets and in our minds , defiling our youth with radical ideas

Burn the witch

worldwiser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There's a parking space right at the end of

> Spurling Rd that, as far as I know, has never seen

> a car parked in it. Instead, it has become an

> extremely unpleasant and dangerous dumping ground

> for all sorts of items - old sofas, boxes, broken

> glass, old sanitaryware and builder materials.

> It's a total eyesore and shouldn't be permitted.

> The council have twice refused to clear it on the

> grounds it's private land but its an offence to

> the entire neighbourhood and simply must be sorted

> out.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to force

> the council to act?

Might there be plans afoot to develop this sight, turning 'unsightly wasteland' into flats?

• 4 weeks later...
I lived in Spurling Road in the 1950s and 1960s. Council earmarked it for 'slum clearance' twice in that time as flat roof was letting in water, there was one outside wc for 2 families, no hot water system ,no bathroom and not wired for power. We went to Dulwich Baths every week for a bath. Heating in lounge only via coal fire. Winter months we sat in blankets and hot water bottles. For some reason we could use an very old and small black and white TV but not an electric fire. It was not uncommon to have rubbish dumped in the street- was also the terminus for the 184 bus.