Fish seller in the area - scam maybe?

Cruzma

Hi, I wanted to share my experience buying fish from a van that came house to house last week. Two men from New Castle came knocking at my door offering fresh fish and being very quick at selling me this great amount of fish. I have paid for them, not a minor amount, and forgot to ask for their card or contact. I feel the fish not might be of the quality they said it would be as I have had some stomach aches after eating it.

Anyone has had the same men coming along? or Anyone buys from them normally?

I would really appreciate your comments!

Thank you

These guys have been coming to ED for a number of years now, 10 or 20 I'd guess. I think they're perfectly legitimate (though maybe, if there is any 'scam' their fish comes from New Billingsgate rather than directly from Tyneside). You'd have a lot more than just a stomach ache if the fish was off (and you can anyway smell that). Their 'scam' is that they sell in high weights, from a limited range - so you probably buy more than you need. I always use Soper's in Nunhead

if I want a good selection of wet fish (Moxon's is also good, in terms of quality, but I think a more limited range and higher prices). Soper's will also prepare as you want it, and in front of you (as does Moxon's), and you can see immediately the quantity you're getting so you buy the right amount. They also have peripherals (sea vegetables, herbs) and good smoked and prepared fish (spiced fresh anchovy fillets).

But I don't think you've been either scammed or poisoned.